Failed vBIOS flash - r9 280x

The Last MeMe

I have been having some issues with my second r9 280x so i attempted to flash the bios as some people online were saying this fixed the issues i was having. I must have flashed the wrong version or something but the GPU no longer will display an image. The good news is that i do have a second 280x that works fine. So i am wondering if there is anyway i can wipe the BIOS on the card that is not working properly. Also if someone could link me a version of the BIOS they know works that would be great! Thanks!

My rig: Case: Corsair 760T CPU: Intel 4690k MOBO: MSI Z79 Gaming 5 RaM: 16gb HyperX SSD: 256gb Samsung pro HDD: 1tb Toshiba PSU: Thermaltake smart 750 GPU: 1x GTX 1080 Founders edition

I have been having some issues with my second r9 280x so i attempted to flash the bios as some people online were saying this fixed the issues i was having. I must have flashed the wrong version or something but the GPU no longer will display an image. The good news is that i do have a second 280x that works fine. So i am wondering if there is anyway i can wipe the BIOS on the card that is not working properly. Also if someone could link me a version of the BIOS they know works that would be great! Thanks!

think you just bricked your card mate

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

You didn't specify which R9 280X exactly is that. I see that's Sapphire but there were versions with different coolers AFAIK

It needs to be exactly the same bios. The card might be beyond repair though. You need to try and flash another one if it doesn't have dual bios but it might not work. You should try though

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

RiP 280X

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

You didn't specify which R9 280X exactly is that. I see that's Sapphire but there were versions with different coolers AFAIK

It needs to be exactly the same bios. The card might be beyond repair though. You need to try and flash another one if it doesn't have dual bios but it might not work. You should try though

Different coolers, different PCBs and different BIOSes

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

If it doesnt have multiple bios you will have to unsolder the bios chip and manually rewrite it. So take to a shop. They should have everything

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

You need to unbrick your card, and to do that you need another system.

I have a second GPU so i can still use my computer

RiP 280X

The good news is that it basically was a brick anyways. It was crashing my entire computer while doing any sort of gaming. By crashing i mean turning my screen completely brown and generally screwing it up otherwise. 

It is the Sapphire Dual-X card. I am downloading GPU-z right now so that i can get you the rest of the information you need. Although now that it is bricked im not sure i will be able to.

My rig: Case: Corsair 760T CPU: Intel 4690k MOBO: MSI Z79 Gaming 5 RaM: 16gb HyperX SSD: 256gb Samsung pro HDD: 1tb Toshiba PSU: Thermaltake smart 750 GPU: 1x GTX 1080 Founders edition

Wow... guys... Do you not know there ARE usual recovery methods to try, even if they fail, there are options to try.

I've brought back a single bios card before...after bricking it.

You can unbrick some cards using the onboard iGPU to boot and then reflash the 2nd adapter (Dedicated gpu) with your 2nd bios or one you downloaded.

It's not always 100% that ATIflash will see it, but I've heard MANY instances where it works fine.

As above states...

You can also (if you have it) use the dualbios, there should be a dipswitch on the PCB and once you flick it, loading bios #2,.. load into windows, use gpu to backup that bios, then force flash that onto the other switch position.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

GGWP

I'm pretty sure you've got yourself a new drink coaster

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

Wow... guys... Do you not know there ARE usual recovery methods.

I've brought back a single bios card before...after bricking it.

You can unbrick some cards using the onboard iGPU to boot and then reflash the 2nd adapter (Dedicated gpu) with your 2nd bios or one you downloaded.

As above states...

You can also (if you have it) use the dualbios, there should be a dipswitch on the PCB and once you flick it, loading bios #2,.. load into windows, use gpu to backup that bios, then force flash that onto the other switch position.

Would you be able to further explain the first part? How would i go about doing so.

Would you be able to further explain the first part? How would i go about doing so.

THE "I DUN GOOFED MY GPU FLASH" GUIDE

1) You will need to find a display adapter from somewhere to act as a temporary video output until you can get your PCI-E card functioning properly again.

*You can also use onboard video if you motherboard has an IGP. The method for switching to it should be similar to the one outlined below.

2) Once you have found an alternate GPU solution go ahead and open your case. Remove the retention bracket of your PCI-E card and take the card out of your system. Remember to ground yourself first by touching the metal part of your case before handling any components in order to avoid damaging your components.

3) Once you have taken your PCI-E card out

4) Hook up your monitor's cable to the appropriate output on your display device (igpu) and boot up your computer. (Without the dedicated installed, it should default to iGPU and display the screen to access the bios)

5) Right after you post, enter your BIOS by pressing the appropriate key. Find the setting in your BIOS which sets the primary display adapter. On my motherboard, this is found under Advanced -> Chipset Configuration , although it may be different for your motherboard.

6) Change your primary display adapter from PEG to igpu/onboard/whatever its called that makes sense. This step will let you POST with your bricked graphics card inserted as the Power-on Self-test will not fail due to the incomplete BIOS present on your PCI-E card because you have switched the primary display to onboard.

7) After you have changed the primary display adapter setting, shut off your computer and insert your PCI-E card back in. You might want to put the retention bracket back on to make sure the card doesn’t get bent.

8) Boot up your computer again and hopefully it will POST if you have done Step #5 correctly. Continue on into Windows. (Note:generic Windows display drivers will serve fine for the purpose of this guide).

9) Download your favourite BIOS flashing software. (Eg. ATIFlash for ATI users and NVFlash for nVIDIA users)

10) Copy the folder with the software in into the root of the USB drive (or even a folder, we can do this in Windows, so no need for bootable dos disk. Make sure to rename the folder to a name with a max of eight characters due to the limitation in DOS (Cos we are using the CMD Prompt)

11) Find your backup or download an original BIOS for your graphics card and copy it into the SAME FOLDER as your flashing software and give it a name that is also under eight characters and easy to remember.

12) Search and open the Command Prompt and alsi right click and run as administrator, Navigate to your drive with typing d:\ or e or f.... whatever is your flash drive.

Then type 'CD folderyoucreated' without quotes whatever folder has the flash tools.

13) Finally, you can go ahead and flash your old BIOS. (Using ATIFlash, first find the adapter number done by using “atiflash –i”, then you can flash by “atiflash –f –newbios –p [adapter number] [bIOS_filename].ROM”).

* Make sure the BIOS file you are flashing has a *.ROM extension. If it doesn't, ATIFlash will not recognize it.

14) Shut down your computer using your power button.

15) Reboot and then go back into the BIOS. Change the primary display adapter back from igpu to PEG. Save BIOS settings then shut down.

16) Switch your monitor cable from the onboard card back to your PCI-e card.

17) Boot up your computer and you should now be running back on your original GPU again.

Again this is not a 100% way to get your card back, this is an option that MAY work.

Beats throwing it out without trying right?

GL, these steps are simple enough that most people who know a little bit can follow, or if you ask questions about it, other users could help.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

According to Sapphire's website, there is only one Dual-X variant of the R9-280X...and it has a dual BIOS switch.

It is the "S" logo beside the Crossfire connection fingers.

Spoiler
Courtesy of 'Legit Reviews.'

Sapphire-DualX-R9-280-Overview-Button-64

Some of the older cards (i.e. HD 7970) had a toggle switch instead of a button, but they work exactly the same.

Spoiler
RZbIloYl.png

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

snip

Good post.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

Card come with Dual BIOS, can't you flip the BIOS switch?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

THE "I DUN GOOFED MY GPU FLASH" GUIDE

1) You will need to find a display adapter from somewhere to act as a temporary video output until you can get your PCI-E card functioning properly again.

*You can also use onboard video if you motherboard has an IGP. The method for switching to it should be similar to the one outlined below.

2) Once you have found an alternate GPU solution go ahead and open your case. Remove the retention bracket of your PCI-E card and take the card out of your system. Remember to ground yourself first by touching the metal part of your case before handling any components in order to avoid damaging your components.

3) Once you have taken your PCI-E card out

4) Hook up your monitor's cable to the appropriate output on your display device (igpu) and boot up your computer. (Without the dedicated installed, it should default to iGPU and display the screen to access the bios)

5) Right after you post, enter your BIOS by pressing the appropriate key. Find the setting in your BIOS which sets the primary display adapter. On my motherboard, this is found under Advanced -> Chipset Configuration , although it may be different for your motherboard.

6) Change your primary display adapter from PEG to igpu/onboard/whatever its called that makes sense. This step will let you POST with your bricked graphics card inserted as the Power-on Self-test will not fail due to the incomplete BIOS present on your PCI-E card because you have switched the primary display to onboard.

7) After you have changed the primary display adapter setting, shut off your computer and insert your PCI-E card back in. You might want to put the retention bracket back on to make sure the card doesn’t get bent.

8) Boot up your computer again and hopefully it will POST if you have done Step #5 correctly. Continue on into Windows. (Note:generic Windows display drivers will serve fine for the purpose of this guide).

9) Download your favourite BIOS flashing software. (Eg. ATIFlash for ATI users and NVFlash for nVIDIA users)

10) Copy the folder with the software in into the root of the USB drive (or even a folder, we can do this in Windows, so no need for bootable dos disk. Make sure to rename the folder to a name with a max of eight characters due to the limitation in DOS (Cos we are using the CMD Prompt)

11) Find your backup or download an original BIOS for your graphics card and copy it into the SAME FOLDER as your flashing software and give it a name that is also under eight characters and easy to remember.

12) Search and open the Command Prompt and alsi right click and run as administrator, Navigate to your drive with typing d:\ or e or f.... whatever is your flash drive.

Then type 'CD folderyoucreated' without quotes whatever folder has the flash tools.

13) Finally, you can go ahead and flash your old BIOS. (Using ATIFlash, first find the adapter number done by using “atiflash –i”, then you can flash by “atiflash –f –newbios –p [adapter number] [bIOS_filename].ROM”).

* Make sure the BIOS file you are flashing has a *.ROM extension. If it doesn't, ATIFlash will not recognize it.

14) Shut down your computer using your power button.

15) Reboot and then go back into the BIOS. Change the primary display adapter back from igpu to PEG. Save BIOS settings then shut down.

16) Switch your monitor cable from the onboard card back to your PCI-e card.

17) Boot up your computer and you should now be running back on your original GPU again.

Again this is not a 100% way to get your card back, this is an option that MAY work.

Beats throwing it out without trying right?

GL, these steps are simple enough that most people who know a little bit can follow, or if you ask questions about it, other users could help.

The food news is that using your guide o was able to unbrick my gpu. Unfortunately i still am having the issues o was prior. Screen flickering while gaming until finally it crashes my entire computer. Does anybody have ideas how to fix this?