I was pranked.....help

northeastgamer

So, a few of my buddies decided it would be funny, given that I hate internet explorer, to change all of the icons on my desktop to that of IE and rename them all to Internet explorer as well. However, I, nor them, have any idea on how to get the icons back. Help.

Look at the properties. I feel sorry for you.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Not that this is the fastest solution but just delete them all and then goto the Folders where the program you want is and right click the program file and send shortcut to desktop

EDIT

Thinking about it a bit more 

Maybe right click the fake IE Short cuts and click show in folder and the real one would be there i think and then delete the IE of that one this way you would not have to search and would get them all back 

@northeastgamer 

So, a few of my buddies decided it would be funny, given that I hate internet explorer, to change all of the icons on my desktop to that of IE and rename them all to Internet explorer as well. However, I, nor them, have any idea on how to get the icons back. Help.

Do the icons still point to their original locations/applications in the shortcut properties?

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

Look at the properties. I feel sorry for you.

I went to properties and hit change icon but the orignal one was not there.

All of the icons should be found in that specified program's contents folder under "Program Files".

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Well.. that sucks. And secondly, don't give your passwords or leave your account logged in. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Click properties and find the picture. Or delete all of those shortcuts and make new ones, by dragging the program out of the start menu.

Well.. that sucks. And secondly, don't give your passwords or leave your account logged it. 

true, especially at high school. lol

open the proppetie of the sortcut and look at the file location there you will find everything you will need. ofores you will need to that for every shortcut.

also go and prank your friends :)

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

Maybe right click the fake IE Short cuts and click show in folder and the real one would be there create shortcut drag or send to desktop and then delete the IE of that one

@northeastgamer

Well.. that sucks. And secondly, don't give your passwords or leave your account logged it. 

true, especially at high school. lol

i love your buddies 

Right click on the desktop shortcut and click properties. The target location will tell you what it is supposed to be. Clicking change icon will give you a dialog box with the icons windows can find in the programs directory. Just select the right icon and then rename the shortcut.

EDIT: this is for win7 and later. It may be different before win7.

Restore point? I would be pissed beyond pissed if that doesn't work...

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Less buddies and more assholes

Yea that is more of a dick move than a prank because of the hassle it creates afterwards.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Restore, then prank them back. Like set the mouse cursor speed to maximum slowness, replace their desktop image, or go into their system and remove a hard drive or something.

If it's any help, one kid I know changed my Internet Protocols(DNS ver 4) so that I couldn't access any of my college's websites while on the college wifi because my internet would search for the website outside of the server which doesn't work unless I'm not on the college's wifi...

....took me a whole semester to figure it out and reverse it but it still changes back on restart...

...being a Computer Science major is hard.

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

Rightclick, Properties,... Open File Location, Delete that shortcut on desktop and recreate it from the apps source folder. (Rightclicking the executable and creating shortcut, copy to desktop)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Your buds are legen wait for it lets hope you not lactose intollerent dairy.

If i was you is taze em in the neither regions.

--brilliantprank--

...being a Computer Science major is hard.

This is amazing, I'll have to remember this for future use...

Your buds are legen wait for it lets hope you not lactose intollerent dairy.

If i was you is taze em in the neither regions.