Two atoms make quantum memory!

Germshroom

Now just saying you wont be having quantum memory in your PC any time soon but it is a step in the right direction.

Quantum systems are inherently fragile as any interactions with the outside world can change their state. That makes creating things like quantum memories rather challenging, since it can be hard to know if it actually preserves the information you put into it. To get around this, researchers have been looking into ways of creating error-correcting quantum memory.

post-185717-0-27580400-1450338194.jpg

In the two new papers, the researchers involved lay out the case for entangling different types of atoms. If you use the same types of atoms for memory and backup copies of the bits, then there's always a chance that a photon meant for the memory will scatter off it and hit one of the backups instead. If you use atoms from different elements, then they'll be sensitive to different wavelengths of light. Manipulating one will leave the other unaffected.

To me this seem like a step in the right direction. This looks good since this allows you to only influence parts of it instead of the whole thing.

The Oxford team went about this by using two different isotopes of calcium. A second team, from the National Institute of Standards and Technology and the University of Washington, used entirely different atoms (beryllium and magnesium). The calcium atoms could maintain their state for roughly a minute, while the beryllium atoms would hold state for a second and a half, making them somewhat stable in qubit terms.

We have a long way to go to making it last a long time but in this case calcium seems the way to go. But maybe we will find something more useful. and again as they said

Again, it's critical to recognize that these experiments are limited to demonstrations; they haven't built a working quantum computer, much less one that could perform useful calculations. What they have succeeded in doing is providing a potentially useful component that could be part of a useful quantum computer. And the more options we have for combining these components, the better the chance that we'll eventually be able to put something together.

Don't expect to have any of this at home sometime soon.

Read the full thing on ars for more info.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/12/two-atoms-make-quantum-memory-processing-gate-and-test-of-entanglement/

ehh.. we'll probably die before we see a real quantum computer

define real quantum computer

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Its components can be off and on at the same time....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

But can they be at two places in same time ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

not the right thinking. Its bits can be 1, 0 or a superposition of the two. :) can explain futher if you want.

Why do we need quantum memory

Like really, we barely improved on CPU performance in the last three years yet were researching how to make fucking theoretical types of memory

why did we need to research silicon transistors, i mean we barely were starting with electron tubes... Because technology takes time to develop, and not looking forward means you stagnate, which is never good. and literally every discovery in any branch of science will sooner or later be useful somewhere

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

not the right thinking. Its bits can be 1, 0 or a superposition of the two. :) can explain futher if you want.

why did we need to research silicon transistors, i mean we barely were starting with electron tubes... Because technology takes time to develop, and not looking forward means you stagnate, which is never good. and literally every discovery in any branch of science will sooner or later be useful somewhere

well I understand it needs to be developed but I sometimes wonder

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

well I understand it needs to be developed but I sometimes wonder

NO! scientific developement is not something that should be left to wonder and decisions of yes vs no. we dont know what research will bring us. some seem irrelevant, others not so much, but if history shows anything, its that no research is useless in the long run. 

Did we need keplers laws ever really? no, we couldve done it all with newtons laws, but without it, the theory of relativity would be much harder to think of. and without relativity, no technology we rely on today would work at all

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Why do we need quantum memory

Like really, we barely improved on CPU performance in the last three years yet were researching how to make fucking theoretical types of memory

If everyone had this mentality we'd all still be living in caves, eating raw meat, sacrificing virgins and hiding when God takes the sun from the sky at night.

Some of the biggest discoveries ever made were not properly understood until years after they were made and in most cases the people who made the discoveries are forgotten while the people who realised how important the discovery actually was are remembered.

Science is sometimes a strange beast.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

If everyone had this mentality we'd all still be living in caves, eating raw meat, sacrificing virgins and hiding when God takes the sun from the sky at night.

Some of the biggest discoveries ever made were not properly understood until years after they were made and in most cases the people who made the discoveries are forgotten while the people who realised how important the discovery actually was are remembered.

If not for the religion dark ages we'd be using quantum computers...

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Yes, that's where the theory of parallel universes comes from.

nope, thats completly separate from the fact there are superpositions due to the uncertainty

When a mommy atom and a daddy atom love each other very very mu-... wait, what?

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Nuclear fusion happens.

7209a3290c2202b3ba4a2c63aeaffca3.jpg

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

a computer we wont even know what is doing.. thats a quantum computer

So much quantum discoveries lately xD

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

NO! scientific developement is not something that should be left to wonder and decisions of yes vs no. we dont know what research will bring us. some seem irrelevant, others not so much, but if history shows anything, its that no research is useless in the long run. 

Did we need keplers laws ever really? no, we couldve done it all with newtons laws, but without it, the theory of relativity would be much harder to think of. and without relativity, no technology we rely on today would work at all

"I sometimes wonder"

Keyword: I

Wow formatting is a bitch on iOS

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

No! Sacrificing virgins was a new technology - we would not have embraced it if we were not forward-thinking!  :P

Folding For Linus since July 2015

Or when the principle on which gravitational lensing is based on which Einstein previously thought will have no real measurable effects just to later find out that it has to be done on far greater scale to yield results. (Galaxies and clusters rather than stars).

Just highlight it or change theme.

or op

could

CNTRL SHIFT V paste

and not be inconsiderate.