I fixed a pc for my parents but ....

DeViLzzz

I fixed a pc for my parents but left the monitor at a resolution, 1920 x 1080, that their monitor doesn't support.  I was trying to help my dad through chat and was telling him that it will either require resetting the bios or going into safe mode in Windows 7 32 bit OS.  The thing is he was telling me he pressed F8 over and over again after resetting the computer but it did not put him into safe mode with something to view on the monitor.  I thought it might take it from a blank screen to showing safe mode but guess not.  I honestly thought though from the beginning it would require a bios reset.  Am I right in saying that ?

.. and yes the pc worked properly when it was here and has had no issues ever ...

I wish my parents were computer savvy enough to reset the bios.  I guess maybe I should show them how to do it when I do it for them tomorrow or later in the week.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Try delete

I would assume that will only get him into the bios so how does that help ? :Z

I would assume that will only get him into the bios so how does that help ? :Z

Oh right, derp, try mashing all the function buttons.

Just a thought, maybe they plug the monitor in the wrong connector?  instead of the video card maybe plug it in the integrated video of the motherboard?

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Just a thought, maybe they plug the monitor in the wrong connector?  instead of the video card maybe plug it in the integrated video of the motherboard?

I had my dad try both spots on the video card.  They are using an adapter as they still have a VGA monitor.  He knows at least how to remove and attach the adapter and try different things with the video card.

Eh anyway he gave up and really I should as I am not able to be there to get it done.  I just wish I would have remembered to put it in a resolution that their monitor supported when I shut the thing off.  Ugggghh ... amateur builder and repair pc guy :)

Don't you use F12 to get into Safe mode?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Press  F8 and get look for something that says VGA mode, it'll force windows to boot at 640x480, but you can set it from there.

its f12 

also... why are they using a monitor that doesn't support 1080p?

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

its f12

They are probably very old

what gpu are they running?

#KilledMyWife 

How should I know? :P

idk, but just so you know.... I think your really logan...

Idk why but my brain thinks of your when I think of logan...

#KilledMyWife 

i agree. to the OP... tell them to try another port for the keyboard if it's usb. also some keyboards have the f- lock key... make sure it's enabled otherwise the f keys get disabled.

Press F8 and get look for something that says VGA mode, it'll force windows to boot at 640x480, but you can set it from there.

what gpu are they running?

It is a socket 775 computer system with an e5200 cpu in it and the gpu is a flashed 9800 GT. The system was the first ever one I built for my son.  He said it was ok to loan it out to his grandparents.

It all comes down to how well the op can guide his fathers hands in fixing the computer

kinda reminds me of this one episode of house

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWjypel9Kac

It is all made harder by the fact that my dad has dimentia so without being there I don't know if he is doing what I am saying.  I have to take him for his word that he tried what I asked him to do and if he didn't well I will find out today or later this week when I work on the pc out at their house.  

They are in their 60s.

its f12 

Honestly the monitor they use does what they need it to do for them.  They only surf the net, email and play occasional web games.  As for watching videos it would be rare and watching them in 360p or 480p wouldn't bother them.

You can unplug the power cable while it's running and then next time you boot, Windows will go to the "you didn't shut down properly" screen which lets you choose safe mode :P

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

You can unplug the power cable while it's running and then next time you boot, Windows will go to the "you didn't shut down properly" screen which lets you choose safe mode :P

That is hilarious.  I didn't think of that.

Why did i  not think of this! Awesome Answer