switching motherboards results in losing data? y/n?

wildgg

quick question regarding switching motherboards.

my current motherboard: msi z97 g55 sli

i want to switch to: msi z97s sli krait edition (because it's white for my build)

will i need to do a fresh install of windows etc or can i just switch the motherboards because these 2 motherboards are almost the same.

i think it will be no problem but i just want some opinions.

thanks in advance,

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

I know you won't lose data (files, os), but you might have to reactivate windows? Double check on that. Sometimes keys are tied to the motherboard. 

Intel 4690K 4.5 GTX 970 Strix ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 LGA 1150 Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB NZXT Black/Red Kingston 240GB SSD && Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3TB HDD Corsair H60 Corsair Builder 500W

PCPartPicker

Hi,

It certainly depends, if chipset drivers and the lot are the same it MIGHT work out of the box.

This is however NOT the case in most situations. It is far more likely that windows just plainly refuses to boot properly as this is quite a significant change in hardware specs.

The least thing that is going to happen is that you need to reactivate your version of Windows.

You should almost certainly plan in half a day of fixing issues even if Windows boots after the change. The better solution is clearly to just reinstall Windows after the hardware change.

As always I strongly recommend a proper backup of all your data before trying anything.

However, the data on your harddrive is unaffected by this change. Even if Windows refuses to boot you can always just boot from anything else and access your data as usual.

Regards

Machines take me by surprise with great frequency

quick question regarding switching motherboards.

my current motherboard: msi z97 g55 sli

i want to switch to: msi z97s sli krait edition (because it's white for my build)

will i need to do a fresh install of windows etc or can i just switch the motherboards because these 2 motherboards are almost the same.

i think it will be no problem but i just want some opinions.

thanks in advance,

If ur running an overclock u'll lose those settings but I think thats how far it goes really

and ofcourse u need to install new mobo drivers and delete the old ones but thats about it

Spoiler

CPU: R7 5800x -- Mobo: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X v2 -- RAM: 2x16GB Kingston Fury Renegade -- GPU: Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming OC -- Case: Fractal Design North Walnut/Black Mesh -- Storage: 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 4TB NM790 -- PSU: BeQuiet Pure Power 11 Platinum 650w -- Displays: AOC AGON  AG352UCG, Dell Ultrasharp U2715H -- Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 -- Mouse: Corsair M65 -- Keyboard: Func KB 460 MX Blue -- Sound: Motu M2 -> THX 789 -> DT880 600Ω -- Mic: RØDE NT1-A

Spoiler

RIG 2: Intel i5-8400, 16 GB RAM, RTX 2070S

Spoiler

Data won't be lost in the sense that you can put your previous motherboard back in and be able to access it, but I've had issues with Windows not wanting to boot and needing to be reinstalled for new board (I'm guessing drivers r to blame, tho not sure).

Since the motherboards are so similar though i'd just try swapping them out and seeing if the PC boots, there's a good chance it will work just fine. (Unless you're on Win10.... that .... thing.... is just ugly with keys and stuff, if you're on Win10 I'll bet it won't work without contacting microsoft or using pirated or technical preview editions)

Data won't be lost in the sense that you can put your previous motherboard back in and be able to access it, but I've had issues with Windows not wanting to boot and needing to be reinstalled for new board (I'm guessing drivers r to blame, tho not sure).

Since the motherboards are so similar though i'd just try swapping them out and seeing if the PC boots, there's a good chance it will work just fine. (Unless you're on Win10.... that .... thing.... is just ugly with keys and stuff, if you're on Win10 I'll bet it won't work without contacting microsoft or using pirated or technical preview editions)

i'm thinking the same thing, these 2 boards are so similar it should be no problem. 

if it doesn't il just do a fresh install.

i'm on windows 7 pro

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15