i want to design a lightsaber which 3d modeling software should i use

i want to design a light saber. which free 3d modeling software should i use (keep in mind i can get all the autocad brand software for free university hands codes out). i eventually plan on making it out of aluminum or something haven't gotten that far yet but which 3d modeling software should i use.

thanks

maybach123 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

If you've got access to Autodesk programs then I would use those.

EDIT: Although, MS Paint IS probably the best choice if you can afford the $69,000 licensing fee.

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

i want to design a light saber. which free 3d modeling software should i use (keep in mind i can get all the autocad brand software for free university hands codes out). i eventually plan on making it out of aluminum or something haven't gotten that far yet but which 3d modeling software should i use.

thanks

maybach123 

For 3D modeling if your going to put it into a CAM software for a CNC I would say solidworks is a good tool for that, it can also give you specs on the finished part like weight and stuff.

For 3D modeling if your going to put it into a CAM software for a CNC I would say solidworks is a good tool for that, it can also give you specs on the finished part like weight and stuff.

Probably not a cnc im probably going to cast it I want main part to be one solid piece

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Probably not a cnc im probably going to cast it I want main part to be one solid piece

The finish will need some work to get it nice and smooth but doable, just one tip make the mold or pattern for the part approx 15-20% bigger if your casting since the metal will shrink when cooled. 

The finish will need some work to get it nice and smooth but doable, just one tip make the mold or pattern for the part approx 15-20% bigger if your casting since the metal will shrink when cooled. 

Don't think that's how it works. I'm no metal worker, but I think the answer to that problem is to pour slowly and just add more as needed. When the metal shrinks, it isn't going to fill the mold and achieve the correct shapes and dimensions but on a smaller scale. Instead, everything will be the same, except less of the mold will be filled.

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

Don't think that's how it works. I'm no metal worker, but I think the answer to that problem is to pour slowly and just add more as needed. When the metal shrinks, it isn't going to fill the mold and achieve the correct shapes and dimensions but on a smaller scale. Instead, everything will be the same, except less of the mold will be filled.

Srry the percentages are watly off not 10-20, 1-2% but metal does shrink during cast to where it needs to be accounted for in the pattern during the mold making process.

http://www.shelmetcastings.com/shrinkage-allowance-for-metal-casting.html

Srry the percentages are watly off not 10-20, 1-2% but metal does shrink during cast to where it needs to be accounted for in the pattern during the mold making process.

http://www.shelmetcastings.com/shrinkage-allowance-for-metal-casting.html

i have cast plenty of things before so ill have no problem with that just putting my designs on paper thats the problem xD

I would highly recommend solidworks. It is very easy to use and has application that will allow you to 3D print parts if needed.