m-disc Good or just a gimmick?

Craig

Hi Folks,

First of all thanks for taking the time to read this topic and if I have duplicated it sorry : )

Just wondering has anyone used the m-disc yet, sounds like a product that I would like to be put into my rigs, but not too sure as the UK on appears to be getting them now and we are only getting the DVD version rather then the Bluray version.

That being said, I know that I can use hard drives.

Thanks

Craig

I know that I can use hard drives. Thanks Craig

Yes, I would backup everything on hard drives, however I am planning to use M-Disk to backup the most important documents/pictures.

Same here bartekxx12, just wondering if anyone on the site has had experience with the mdisc product.

M-Disc works for smaller stuff, and lasts very long compared to normal CD/DVD's. Though, having to burn everything to a disc would seem to be to much trouble for me, as I would just back up the bigger stuff on HDD's.

MEH

Linus talked about this in his Livestream yesterday, and i share his opinion. MDisc can't hold much storage, but its enough to save special things like Pictures you DONT want to lose, documents etc. MDisc surely is a gimmick, but a useful one.

System Specs

CPU Intel Core i5 3570k @ Corsair H100i  GPU EVGA GTX770 Reference Design  Mainboard MSI Z77A-GD65  RAM Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600mhz  PSU Corsair HX650  Storage Samsung Evo 250GB SSD, Seagate 2TB Barracuda HDD  Case LianLi PC-A51  Soundcard Asus Xonar DGX  Monitor Dell U2311H, Dell P2314H, Acer P193W  Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark  Mouse Logitech G502  Headphones Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro w/ DT990 Earpads  Mousepad Steelseries QCK  

As Disultory said, Linus briefly talked about it in context of why he wouldn't use Blu-ray for archiving, if you want to see it go here:

http://youtu.be/F6xzqkrFZnQ?t=44m8s for the part specific about the m-disc or start a bit earlier at 40mins 35secs for the whole archiving part(and some great sarcasm from Linus :D)

As a storage medium no dont use it for that your much better off getting an HDD or SSD for permanent storage however if you have documents of extreme importance e.g. Loved ones photos or legal documents then use an mDisk to store them as the mDisk will last forever. (T'was in the latest Linus Tech Tips live show)