CPU Stories

I'd like to hear some of you guys' stories about your CPUs.

What Generation are they, what the model is, are you happy with said CPU, Problems you've had, Problems you're currently having, your overall experience, When you're last date was, that kind of stuff.

I personally own an i7-6700 (non k) and couldn't be happier with it.

:\

I've owned:
Athlon 64 X2 Mobile - was an okay chip - no issues
Athlon II X2 250 - good CPU that stayed with me for 3 and a half years
Core i5 4590 - quite a good CPU - again, no issues
Core i7 4720HQ - by far the best so far

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

My CPU stories is i bought my CPU from Amazon, they delivered to me, and then i inserted into my PC motherboard, turn it on, and then played games. 

I lol'd a little at that one.

intel core i5 4400

):

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

When you're last date was

what? I don't date my CPU... that's some weird shit

But seriously, I have a 4790K and it's great. It ran a little hot for a few months while one corner of my cooler wasn't screwed down, but it's fine now.

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

Athlon 860K.

Love it because the price/perf is great. Currently have it clocked at 4.4GHz w/ 1.4 volts (high I know). I breeze through editing and multitasking very well.

It doesn't seem to like MMORPGs much though. In towns and cities with plenty of NPCs and players, I get some crazy lag spikes, even with a 7950. It's doable for now, but I will upgrade to either an i7/Xeon or AMD Zen when it releases in about a years time.

It serves me great for now though.

I hope the best for Zen. from what I've heard, it sounds pretty good. 

Have a T7200 in my laptop, lived with me for 8-9 yers now and still kicking :D and might be featured in a build log in the coming months ;) And in my main rig I have an i7-4790. Never failed me and always worked without a hitch. :D

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

My CPU stories is i bought my CPU from Amazon, they delivered to me, and then i inserted into my PC motherboard, turn it on, and then played games. 

This ^

• PowerPC G5 something rather. They go forever and are powerful. Also like to emit lots of heat. 
  • P4 2.66Ghz in a PC from 2003. Probably still going. 
  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 that was amazingly fast but I killed it OCing when I accidentally entered some wrong voltages thanks to a typo. N.B capacitors are like confetti when they explode. 
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3GHz sold when it didn't like Skyrim
  • i5-2500k used for gaming, and then a NAS for 24/7, then a gaming machine again and now sold. Still is an amazing chip. 
  • Intel Ce - lol - ron J1900 in a NAS... Lower power TDP, runs well... Nothing to report.  
  • i7-4790k. This thing is amazing, OCd to 5GHz stable. Want to push 5.1GHz but don't want to go over 1.35v. 

I've used a number in my life (certainly not all personally owned though)

486: my grandmothers computer had this.  the Windows 95 (and XP) pinball game ran fine, except for a little lag when the ball came out of the wormhole

Pentium 200 MHz with MMX: ran Win 98 and a few forms Linux before we moved on

laptop Pentium II: It was faster than the pentium :)

Pentium 4 1.9 GHz: We got this with XP.  God that machine was fast at the time :P

Athlon 64 X2 3800+: This was my main computer for a long time.  Overclocked from 2 to 2.7 GHz... pretty nice.  First dual core, first PC that was mine. Also a huge step up in speed

2630QM: my laptop.  Still really powerful.

4770k: my current CPU.  It's pretty powerful too :)  Hates being overclocked.  Like, at all.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

intel core i5 4400

):

But.... thats still a half-decent CPU in its own right....

Haswell 4440 (before refresh). Love it, does what it needs to do but I can't get it to simultaneously run bf4, record 1080p 60fps footage and compress to a workable format without my FPS dropping to 20 :P (first world problems)

i have a bunch of oldies i play with.

- intel pentium running at 120MHz (downclocked from 133) its slow, but it'll do everything you ask of it, it can calculate factorials exponentially (hurrhurr) faster than the ever-popular TI calculators, just give it a minute to load the script off of the hard drive.

- athlon 64 running at either 1GHz, or 2GHz, i'm not really sure actually... its one hell of a little numbercruncher for its age, caught fire a while back, still works fine...

- 32 bit P4: it does some integer calculation, but locks up on floating point..

- 64 bit P4: i have two of these, one of them is my hard drive maintenance machine, the other one is my "zero cost" computer, and they *work* ...

aside from that, its all boring newer stuff.

But.... thats still a half-decent CPU in its own right....

nope

did i say i5?'

i meant amd a4

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Been using i7 930 Quad core since i first build my pc seriously underated cpu this is a monster truck nothing it cant do.

:o

lol

now you feel my troubles

Phenom x4 970 - My first CPU, it was a nice little CPU on the cheap. Paired it with a GTX 560. Handled it no problem.

FX 8350 - My second CPU. Upgraded to a 7970 Ghz and was desperate to find something that wouldn't bottleneck it... sorely disappointed with it. Not only did it bottleneck it, I kept asking myself "why on earth didn't I switch to intel" with every game I played. I swear, some games ran better on the Phenom.

i7 4790K - My third and most recent CPU. Only got it recently and haven't messed around with it yet. Still sorting out other stuff. I did manage to get it to 4.7 with stock everything else. Used intel XTU to do the overclock as well. Dirtiest overclock I've ever done. But given it went up to 4.7 like that, I have high hopes for it  :)

caught fire a while back, still works fine...

wait woah woah woah hold on, you're not gonna just glide over that :)

The CPU literally caught on fire? :blink:   And it still works!?  :o

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Okay so lets see here, from the start of my more seriousish PC gaming era.

AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2.0GHZ - Well the CPU that i definately have a lot of heart for and it itself had a lot of heart.

this CPU i had was an utter workhorse, constantly subjected to 100% usage (Playing TF2 + Skype + Steam + Firefox Up) with a stock cooler that may have been a little dusty, And doing it for hours and hours a day, The CPU took the load like a boss, despite being at full load it never gave up, And so far is the only CPU i've had that doesn't fall to pieces at 100% load.

Though sadly the thrashing took it's toll and it suffered a notable slowdown later on in it's life with it lagging even at windows start up, The Rig it was in was given a graceful retirement shortly afterwords :3.

"Jezus"

AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2ghz

3.5GB RAM (3x1GB + 1x 512mb)

Windows XP Home 32bit /Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit

Jeantech 400W PSU

ASUS Nvidia GTX 550Ti

500GB Seagate Pipeline

and called Jezus because it one day had multple bsod's and seemed dead, only to come back to life and be fit and healthy as soon as it was started up at the PC repair store

Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 @2.66Ghz - This Was The Replacement for the Beloved Athlon 3800+, And to be fair it's definately one i may underrate in my mind, It in general felt really butter smooth, The Experience of running a Minecraft Server and playing on it with really no lag felt pretty awesome then, Sadly the biggest drawback was that it was in a SFF case and there was no way i could fit my 550Ti in, and i wonder what things would have been like with it in. but handily enough it could play TF2 at low with the intergrated with a bit of stutter but not too bad....but still, what could have been back then.

Later was Given the Task as the Home PC when i upgraded To the CPU I had next. Though eventually met the same fate as the 3800+, Now resides on my desk, could revive it later on if i run into a lot of disposable income.

Core 2 Duo E7300 @2.66Ghz

4GB DDR2 667

Intel Q43/Q45 Graphics

Hitachi Deskstar 400GB HDD

Some Dell 230W PSU

Intel Core i7 3770K @3.5Ghz - So i upgraded to this after my E7300 Rig, and Damn ....This CPU was a BEAST, If the E7300 felt buttery smooth then this was sliding on a rainbow slide made out of ice cream and peanut butter @u@, it streamed effortlessly, i even forgot sometimes i even had a stream on it did it so well, Gaming? Even with the 550Ti, it was Awesome, heck even TF2 felt great running on HD 4000/4600 (I forgot which one). The only downside to this 3770K is that it was a slightly hotter runner, Even with a 212 EVO on and Arctic Silver 5 It would still be pretty warm for my tastes. but apart from that it was a damn awesome CPU :3.

Until ....the CX750/CX750M Nation striked and killed it.., However if i can remember where i put the 3770k, i'd like to see if i can frankenstein it back into life somehow.

"Spooky 1st"

Intel Core i7 3770K

Nvidia Geforce GTX 590

Hyperram (Hynix) 32GB DDR3 1333

1TB Seagate Barracuda + 64GB Crucial M4 SSD

Gigabyte Z68 AP-D3

CiT Vantage

Shitsair ShitEx 750shitM

Intel Core i7 4820K @3.7GHZ - Basically, ....THIS CPU IS MY BAE, I love EVERYTHING aboot it, It running really cool (a good 15-25C cooler than my 3770K), it's oddity and pointlessness, And just....it's kind of the perfect CPU for me, Even if i may have wanted tthat 4960X (Cause it's my dream CPU) that was in a nearby store which just ran out of stock on them, my 4820K is still rad for me :3.

"Spooky"

Read the Signature silly > :D

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

Intel Pentium (God knows what)

Intel Pentium 4 (again, no idea)

Celeron something horrific (Laptop)

i7-2630QM (amazing at the time)

i5-4210H (fairly good)

i5-4690k (best so far)

CPU: i7 4790k 4.6GHz @ 1.19v     GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 1590Core     RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro    SSD: Samsung 850 Evo Raid 0

Cooler: Corsair H110i GT             Case: NZXT H440 Black Windowed          1TB WDD Blue, NZXT Hue+, MSI Z97S SLI Krait, Asus VX347H x2

-Pentium 3 800 slot1, very first cpu for my very first build, work very well with XP, was force to upgrade when my board died.

-Pentium D 820, very first dual core from Intel. Waited 2-3 months for this. During that time I don't have access to any computer or the internet. And this was in 2005, I didn't have a cellphon, full web browsing never existed. The first full web browsing phone was the Apple iPhone, which didn't came out 2 years later in 2007.

-Xeon X3350, wanted a quad core, so I upgrade to this from my Pentium D.

-Xeon E5-2620 v3, previous X99 cpu I was using.

-Xeon E3 1225 v3, my 2nd spare mini-ITX machine.

-Atom N270 for my netbook, thought it would be nice to have small system on the go and play some games, since it it's equipped with a Nvidia ION. Nope that system ran like a snail

-AMD E2-1200, my 2nd netbook, Atom one died. This one has 2 physical cores, so I tought I can finally play some games on it as it has also has a ok gpu. Nope I was wrong about this one too. Can't even play Portal on this damn POS, without lagging and fan blasting at 100% all the time. The system has been upgraded to a SSD and 6GB of ram, it didn't help. Both netbooks are crap. So I just use it for basic web browsing, when I'm not using my desktop.

-Xeon E5 1650 v3, current X99 cpu, wanted something faster than my other Xeon E5, so I upgrade to this. Highest oc, I managed to get was 4.8GHz, but that was only 1 time. All other times it would just freeze or reboot, never getting to the deskop, but on that day it did, tried to run Cinebench R15 and it crashed. Longest stable I can get with this cpu is around 4.375GHz, so basically a average chip, and that's fine with me. Currently running it at stock clocks.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list