Laptop to replace desktop - 1200$

Nickname

Hello everyone,
I need to replace my current desktop rig with a mobile solution, this will become my new daily driver.
I am extremely unfamiliar with the market as far as mobile goes so I hope you can help me out a bit here.

Budget is around 1200$.
I am looking for something capable of achieveing a performance as close as possible to my current rig, which is composed by:

MBD: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
CPU: i5-2500k
GPU: MSI GTX 570
RAM: 8GB Dual-Channel DDR3
SSD: OCZ-Vertex 2
HDD: Samsung HD154UI

The heavier tasks I need to accomplish with this machine are:
Image editing (Photoshop, Illustrator).
Light video editing @ 1080p (Premiere, After Effects, Vegas).

I wouldn't mind if it were capable of running a few console emulators such as PCSX2, I have no interest in playing the latest AAA games or suchlike.
On top of that a nice extra would be being able to stream via XSplit/OBS to Twitch.

Aside from that I will be doing the standard web surfing, office usage and other light tasks.
I do end up multitasking a lot though, so keep that in mind.

Screen resolution should be at least 1080p.

I would strongly prefer if the machine had an SSD, but I'm willing to sacrifice this if it doesn't fit the budget.

It won't be moved around too much so weight isn't an issue.
For the same reason battery life is not that important either.

I'm not looking for upgrade potential as this will be replaced by a desktop in about 1 year.

Budget is around 1200$, I can go up to 1500$ max, but would rather stay around 1200$.

It needs to be available to be shipped in Europe.

Now I noticed the Surface Pro 4 and the Surface Book and while I REALLY like the idea of a detachable touch screen, I'm not sure if I'd be wasting money at their price point.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on the topic.

MSI GE62/72
Lenovo Y700
Dell Inspiron 15
HP Omen
Clevo/Sager/Origin PC/Mythologic/Eurocom/TurboX - @D2ultima knows more about those

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

edit

nvm I'm an idiot

That only has 4GB of RAM, who even designed that thing??

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

That only has 4GB of RAM, who even designed that thing??

This is why it is customisable on Eluktronics' site. And for the same machine, Sager is actually much cheaper.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

@Nickname where in Europe? Is your budget in USD? If it is, does your budget cover import tax/shipping, or is it purely for the laptop and you will pay shipping/customs separately from the budget?

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Thanks everyone for the replies, I've been checking out the laptops mentioned a bit.

Some of these seem to be kinda hard to find or go over budget on the EU market though.

@Nickname where in Europe? Is your budget in USD? If it is, does your budget cover import tax/shipping, or is it purely for the laptop and you will pay shipping/customs separately from the budget?

Italy to be specfic, the budget is in USD.

It includes taxes and shipping, that's why I left it a bit flexible.

I did notice that a few of the laptops mentioned are unfortunately incredibly overpriced compared to US shops.

(For example the Lenovo Y700 on amazon.com is at 1100USD, while on amazon.it it's at almost 2000USD)

Thanks everyone for the replies, I've been checking out the laptops mentioned a bit.

Some of these seem to be kinda hard to find or go over budget on the EU market though.

Italy to be specfic, the budget is in USD.

It includes taxes and shipping, that's why I left it a bit flexible.

I did notice that a few of the laptops mentioned are unfortunately incredibly overpriced compared to US shops.

(For example the Lenovo Y700 on amazon.com is at 1100USD, while on amazon.it it's at almost 2000USD)

Yeah, you're going to need to get a cheap laptop. The import tax and shipping will be brutal, and will strain your budget greatly. It may even be cheaper to buy something in an eu shop.

Might I suggest checking out mysn.de and looking at their A506 or A706 laptops? They're built off the Clevo N155RD and N170RD respectively, and may be within your budget in EU... I hope.

Otherwise... are you a student? If you are a student, you may be able to get the machine from Eurocom which has I think an EU depot with a 10% discount.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Yeah, you're going to need to get a cheap laptop. The import tax and shipping will be brutal, and will strain your budget greatly. It may even be cheaper to buy something in an eu shop.

Might I suggest checking out mysn.de and looking at their A506 or A706 laptops? They're built off the Clevo N155RD and N170RD respectively, and may be within your budget in EU... I hope.

Otherwise... are you a student? If you are a student, you may be able to get the machine from Eurocom which has I think an EU depot with a 10% discount.

Really good suggestions, thank you.

Unfortunately even with the 10% student discount Eurocom ends up being out of my budget, seems like it's overseas shipping.

However I can get the following from mysn.de for a little over 1500$,

• 39,6 cm (15.6") Full-HD (1920*1080) Non-Glare IPS

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M 2048MB GDDR5

• Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 4 Kerne | 8 Threads | 2,60 - 3,50GHz | 6MB 45W

• 8GB (1x8192) SO-DIMM DDR4 RAM 2133MHz HyperX Impact

• 500GB SATA-III 5400U/Min WD Blue Slim (WD5000LPVX)

• Intel Wireless-AC 3160 M.2 (inkl. Bluetooth)

• Backlit Keyboard U.S. International

This looks pretty solid for my purposes right?

Really good suggestions, thank you.

Unfortunately even with the 10% student discount Eurocom ends up being out of my budget, seems like it's overseas shipping.

However I can get the following from mysn.de for a little over 1500$,

• 39,6 cm (15.6") Full-HD (1920*1080) Non-Glare IPS

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M 2048MB GDDR5

• Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 4 Kerne | 8 Threads | 2,60 - 3,50GHz | 6MB 45W

• 8GB (1x8192) SO-DIMM DDR4 RAM 2133MHz HyperX Impact

• 500GB SATA-III 5400U/Min WD Blue Slim (WD5000LPVX)

• Intel Wireless-AC 3160 M.2 (inkl. Bluetooth)

• Backlit Keyboard U.S. International

This looks pretty solid for my purposes right?

Eurocom seems to be fine actually... change the price to "EUR" and pick the Eurocom Shark 5 (I forgot to link the specific model, sorry). It's only $814 Euroes at base config with price set to euroes, and you should be able to get something nice.

That machine from mysn looks like it's the P650RA. Try checking Eurocom's Sky MX5 in EUR budget and see if it works out cheaper; you might get it cheaper there (with the discount of course).

But the P650RA is just fine, and you'll enjoy it even from mySN.de

Eurocom seems to be fine actually... change the price to "EUR" and pick the Eurocom Shark 5 (I forgot to link the specific model, sorry). It's only $814 Euroes at base config with price set to euroes, and you should be able to get something nice.

That machine from mysn looks like it's the P650RA. Try checking Eurocom's Sky MX5 in EUR budget and see if it works out cheaper; you might get it cheaper there (with the discount of course).

But the P650RA is just fine, and you'll enjoy it even from mySN.de

Ah you are right!

For some reason I completely missed the ultraportables category.

The Shark5 as you suggested looks really appealing, I can actually save some money and even fit in an SSD:

CPU: i7-6700HQ

GPU: GTX 960M

RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 120GB

HDD: Hitachi Z7K500 500GB; 7200rpm

Display: 15.6" 1080p AH-IPS

All of this for 1400$

Regaring the MX5, it ends up being much more expensive (The shipping alone from Eurocom is around 130$, add on top of that 250-300$ of taxes).

I'll probably look around for a couple more days and see if I find some local deals but I will probably go with the Shark5.

Thanks again!

Ah you are right!

For some reason I completely missed the ultraportables category.

The Shark5 as you suggested looks really appealing, I can actually save some money and even fit in an SSD:

CPU: i7-6700HQ

GPU: GTX 960M

RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 120GB

HDD: Hitachi Z7K500 500GB; 7200rpm

Display: 15.6" 1080p AH-IPS

All of this for 1400$

Regaring the MX5, it ends up being much more expensive (The shipping alone from Eurocom is around 130$, add on top of that 250-300$ of taxes).

I'll probably look around for a couple more days and see if I find some local deals but I will probably go with the Shark5.

Thanks again!

No problem! Glad I could help! I'm sorry the shipping is so harsh for you, but enjoy! Also, feel free to contact them and see if you could get the Sky MX5 with a 965M to save money, as it's just out of your budget. Hell, if you're lucky, they might even give you a little discount. Remember to cash in the 10% discount when doing your budget calculations! You get it for being in university.