AMD 2014-2015 roadmap update

GoodBytes

AMD is updating it's road-map for 2014-2015 to reflect market changes.

Report-Overreliance-on-Game-Consoles-Cou

The company is expected to unveil its next-generation "Volcanic Islands" GPU family by late-September, 2013. In the first quarter of 2014, the company is expected to unveil its 4th generation entry-level APUs, codenamed "Kabini." Built in ST3 socket for notebooks, and FS1B for desktops, this product family will include dual- and quad-core parts, with TDPs under 25W. Among the quad-core parts are the A4-5350 and A4-5150, and among the dual-core ones is the E1-2650.

"Kabini" will enter mass-production in February 2014, and will be formally announced in the following month. Kabini's early-2014 launch, delayed from late-2013, will have a cascading effect on its successor's launch. "Beema," its successor, will now launch in either late-2014, or early-2015. "Beema" will be based on the same socket types as "Kabini," but will incorporate more HSA technologies.

In 2014 AMD's AM3 socket will retire after a 5-year run at the markets, as would its first APU socket, FM1. By the end of 2013, APUs would amount for 70 percent of AMD processors, while CPUs (chips devoid of on-die graphics), will amount for 30 percent. In 2015, AMD plans to launch "Carrizo," an APU that uses CPU cores based on AMD's next-generation "Excavator" micro-architecture. While Intel "tick-tocks" its product development cycle on two factors, CPU micro-architecture and silicon-fab process; AMD's own "tick-tock" could follow succeeding CPU and GPU micro-architectures.

Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/189707/amd-updates-product-roadmap-for-2014-2015.html

So, I guess the FX processors really are dead?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Yep... well kinda. I fully expect the APUs to be melded with the FX processors at some point. Basically have a processor like what the consoles have (8 core APU) but at a higher frequency. That would be awesome.

AM3 retiring I do hope its time for AM4 not them getting rid of it completely.

If we get AM4 this could mean good things on the amd side of things cpu wise.

Indeed.

I am eyeing AMD's stock (currently dropping steadily). This makes me excited for investing for the future. Having a product to carry them through the Holidays (Volcanic Island) and through the beginning of next year (Kabini), things are looking good on that front, so long as the APUs are awesome.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

So do I still get the 8350 over the 4670k

AMD FX-8350 II ASUS R9-20x DCU2 TOP II Fractal Design R4 II Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD II Gigabyte 990FXA UD-3 II 8GB Corsair XMS II Cooler Master Seidon 120mm II ACER H236HL Monitor II Corsair K70 II Razer Deathadder II Kinect II 

Go check out my Build Log for my "Home Made Gaming POD"

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/83872-home-made-gaming-pod-build-log/

amd should stick to GPU's and APU's

Intel is WaaaaAAyy too strong

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

It isn't?

AMD has much better multi core architecture than intel.

Intel is focused on single threaded cores and adds hyper threading to being able to beat amd in multi core stuff.

The reason Intel is winning is because most programs are designed to be run on a single core instead of multiple cores.

I think its very likely that we will see the steam roller becoming great , the performance improvements they made on bulldozer to piledriver were quite good and i think that steamroller will finally bring amd back on its feet.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860

not really on most price points AMD is a better value except maybe i7 pricing and it used to be AMD were the best that might happen again we don't know.

wonder why it doesn't say a single thing about new CPUs... 

Yah apu's suck.

It kind of scares me that amd is so enthusiastic about them.

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

wonder why it doesn't say a single thing about new CPUs...

Because AMD's primary goal appears to be to replace their CPUs with APUs in the long term.

This will make their computing power grow quite a bit because CPU cores are better at Integer calculations while GPU cores are better at Floating Point calculations. Having a dedicated GPU section of the APU for Floating Point calculations frees up the CPU side to do more Integer calculations in general. Specializing will enable the processors to be more powerful in general.

This appears to be their long term goal. At least it makes the most logical sense. APUs, in the end, will not be specifically for low budget gaming machines, but will enable high end processing power to be even better. That is the idea anyway.

Do not be all doom and gloom. What it appears they are doing sounds very promising and appears to have a lot of potential.

Yah apu's suck.

It kind of scares me that amd is so enthusiastic about them.

Read this post.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I can't wait for AM4, they have been using AM3+ for the higher end cpu's for so long now and I really want to see what they can do with a brand new architecture.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

It isn't?

AMD has much better multi core architecture than intel.

Intel is focused on single threaded cores and adds hyper threading to being able to beat amd in multi core stuff.

The reason Intel is winning is because most programs are designed to be run on a single core instead of multiple cores.

I think its very likely that we will see the steam roller becoming great , the performance improvements they made on bulldozer to piledriver were quite good and i think that steamroller will finally bring amd back on its feet.

Man you really believe that? Explain to me what are 8 core Xeons doing in Intel ARK database? And more-core Xeons?

They have superior single thread and multithread, it's just they arent releasing 8 cores for consumers that dont need them/cant afford them.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Because AMD's primary goal appears to be to replace their CPUs with APUs in the long term.

This will make their computing power grow quite a bit because CPU cores are better at Integer calculations while GPU cores are better at Floating Point calculations. Having a dedicated GPU section of the APU for Floating Point calculations frees up the CPU side to do more Integer calculations in general. Specializing will enable the processors to be more powerful in general.

This appears to be their long term goal. At least it makes the most logical sense. APUs, in the end, will not be specifically for low budget gaming machines, but will enable high end processing power to be even better. That is the idea anyway.

Do not be all doom and gloom. What it appears they are doing sounds very promising and appears to have a lot of potential.

Read this post.

Huh, i've never heard that before.

When apu's can start doing what you described and they are actually powerful, than i'd be all about that. 

The idea sounds great, and makes total sense. Hopefully that happens soon.

Where did you hear about that? I'd like to read the article, or whatever it was.

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

Huh, i've never heard that before.

When apu's can start doing what you described and they are actually powerful, than i'd be all about that. 

The idea sounds great, and makes total sense. Hopefully that happens soon.

Where did you hear about that? I'd like to read the article, or whatever it was.

It was not an article, it was a thread of research. 

Here you go.

Read the whole thread.

† Christian Member †

Man you really believe that? Explain to me what are 8 core Xeons doing in Intel ARK database? And more-core Xeons?

They have superior single thread and multithread, it's just they arent releasing 8 cores for consumers that dont need them/cant afford them.

Have you not heard of an AMD opteron as it has 16 cores and is a massive hitter in the server world
Spoiler

CPU: i5-6600k MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2800Mhz 15-15-15-35, GPU: Sapphire R9 290 SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2, Cooling: EK supremecy EVO ,EK-FC R9 290X with backplate, XSPC EX240 Crossflow & Alphacool UT60 240mm, XSPC D5 Bayres w/ Alphacool VPP655, 7/16-5/8 Compressions/Tubing, Noctua NF-F12 x4 PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 http://valid.x86.fr/8g2m02

Have you not heard of an AMD opteron as it has 16 cores and is a massive hitter in the server world

This. Plus AMD can produce 8 cores that are cheaper than Xeon's even if they do not perform as well. More cores for less cost is best and AMD is good at it.

† Christian Member †

This. Plus AMD can produce 8 cores that are cheaper than Xeon's even if they do not perform as well. More cores for less cost is best and AMD is good at it.

Have you not heard of...

Intel Phi for supercomputing?

Man we can discuss this or get over it. Opterons were good back in Phenom II days, nowadays, not so much. Slower than Intel cores and draw more power. Thats usually what servers care about. The prices are irrelevant for most servers, they want servers to just work. Im seriously not biased against AMD but their offerings arent that good.

But yes i agree FX series has no place in desktop but in server market they sure get some sales, i do not deny that! :)

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Good, is all I have to say about that

Rock on APU's :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I knew that was going to happen  :(

Well APU's are the future for AMD   :)

They were talking about AM3 not AM3+ sockets, that's the only confusing part of this article. Okay I'm a bit confused here

Edited by Simmytu

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

Wow, i am really sad now... i was supposed to buy the next gen FX i really like how this gen is doing and i taught i would upgrade for the 1st time in my life to an AMD system, 8 cores and all that... now i have to go intel ( again ) if i want performance... the APU-s should not work well as the FX, they are low end and i would be surprised if they do some meaningful scores vs the FX series. Guess it's Ivy -e quad core for me...

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

Wow, i am really sad now... i was supposed to buy the next gen FX i really like how this gen is doing and i taught i would upgrade for the 1st time in my life to an AMD system, 8 cores and all that... now i have to go intel ( again ) if i want performance... the APU-s should not work well as the FX, they are low end and i would be surprised if they do some meaningful scores vs the FX series. Guess it's Ivy -e quad core for me...

That is exactly the mentality that I think will be wrong when the APUs get here.

If, somehow, Kabuni (dat name) is not very powerful, the next iteration will definitely be. 

Simply put, I fully expect APU's to replace CPU's in the 2-5 year future for AMD. Imagine FX processors, but as APUs and you will get it. 

† Christian Member †

That is exactly the mentality that I think will be wrong when the APUs get here.

If, somehow, Kabuni (dat name) is not very powerful, the next iteration will definitely be. 

Simply put, I fully expect APU's to replace CPU's in the 2-5 year future for AMD. Imagine FX processors, but as APUs and you will get it. 

But why do you need an APU when you already have an Powerfull GPU?

To buy a normal CPU would be the better way.

RTX2070OC