PC on a plane!

Hello you wonderful people,

I am planning a build for college and I basically have to take my PC on the plane over there.  Why you ask? Because in the US it is about $200 cheaper to buy the parts I want for my build than it is in the UK (where I will be for college).  So I have my list on PcPartPicker.com all picked out lookin good and then I think, I have about the right case but is there more? Some other case out there that I should know about? Or maybe a rule or regulation that says I can't take a desktop in my carry on bag or as my carry on (idk of any plane forums to ask this in)? So my question to you is is my build acceptable for transport by air and do you know of any rule about computers on airplanes other than they have to be turned off during takeoff. Also what do you think of my case? I also do not know what sub-forum to post this in so general it is!! Also feel free to discuss computers on planes all day on here, you people are frikin fantastic!

PcPartPicker list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mGQKzy

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

they will probably take it away from you if you try to bring ti as carry on

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

They will handcuff you and arrest you for trying to bring a clock onto a plane. (Your computer)

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

they will probably take it away from you if you try to bring ti as carry on

Not true at all.

In fact, DON'T put it in your suit case, you HAVE to bring it as a carry-on, but you'll be fine. Worst-case they ask you to turn it on and show it's a laptop. NBD. My last flight they didn't even ask.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

Just don't bring Luke's Fallout themed case on board and hopefully you'll be fine

Build: i5-4460 | GT 720 | Logitech G710+ Keyboard | Corsair M65 Mouse | Dell e2314h Monitor | Windows 10

Generic Dell: Mobo, 8gb RAM, 430w PSU, 1TB Storage, XPS 8700 Case

Not true at all.

In fact, DON'T put it in your suit case, you HAVE to bring it as a carry-on, but you'll be fine. Worst-case they ask you to turn it on and show it's a laptop. NBD. My last flight they didn't even ask.

It's gonna be a mini-ITX build my friend, not a laptop.  I was just wondering if there were different regulations for desktops than laptops.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

You could bring it on as carry on luggage as long as its within the weight limit.

Main PC : CPU: I7 6700k @ 4.7GHz MOBO: Asus Maximus Hero VII RAM: 32GB Crucial 2133MHz GPU: GTX 980ti 2-Way SLI Drives: 2 850 Evo 250GB, 1 TB WD Blue CASE: 750D PSU: RM1000W

Not true at all.

"PC" not "laptop"

I have seen people get expensive electronic devices taken away from them at customs

laptops, phones, tablets, are all alright, but not stuff like PCs, projectors, receivers, etc...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It's gonna be a mini-ITX build my friend, not a laptop.  I was just wondering if there were different regulations for desktops than laptops.

If it's going to be m-itx then go on it as carry on, less chance of it getting crashed on luggage control. What case are you using btw?

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

Out of topic here: Will US Customs ban the old GIGABYTE G1. Assassin board? (With the gun accents and a SB heatsink that looks like bullets)

And the CoolerMaster Elite 110 is smaller, which could be less suspecting.

NEED X58 BOARD WITH SATA3 ASAP

They will handcuff you and arrest you for trying to bring a clock onto a plane. (Your computer)

And if he happens to have Muslim heritage he might be shot immediately upon finding the clock.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Out of topic here: Will US Customs ban the old GIGABYTE G1. Assassin board? (With the gun accents and a SB heatsink that looks like bullets)

They confiscate toy grenades, what do you think?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

If it's going to be m-itx then go on it as carry on, less chance of it getting crashed on luggage control. What case are you using btw?

I will be using the Fractal Design Node 304 because it is the one of, if not the only case I can find that meets the size requirements to carry on.

I have done it.

I take it apart and put everything but the PSU and Case in a carryon tightly wrapped in clothes

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

The Elite 110 has limited space for a full sized graphics card which is almost essential to me.

Just don't bring Luke's Fallout themed case on board and hopefully you'll be fine

Now you tell me

I don't actually give useful information, hopefully I just  say something funny.

why not buy the parts, then ship them to yourself wherever you're going.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I would just call the airline to ask.

I am going to contact the airline and the TSA, thanks for all the help guys!

Just keep the hdd in protective foam or something to make sure it isnt damaged

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

why not buy the parts, then ship them to yourself wherever you're going.

Import duty..

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I would buy the parts but not assemble them, put big things in your bag (like the case) and smaller boxes like RAM, CPU, GPU(maybe) in your carry on to look after them.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

Because in the US it is about $200 cheaper to buy the parts I want for my build than it is in the UK (where I will be for college).

You have to declare it at custom when re-entering the country, so really, you ain't saving anything.

https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/declaring-goods

https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/arrivals-from-outside-the-eu

Allowance for other goods

You can bring in other goods worth up to £390 (or up to £270 if you arrive by private plane or boat).

If a single item’s worth more than your allowance you pay any duty or tax on its full value, not just the value above the allowance.

If you go over your allowance

You pay Customs Duty on anything you bring in above your allowance. The rate:

is 2.5% for goods worth up to £630

depends on the type of goods if they’re worth more than £630 - check by calling the VAT, Customs and Excise Helpline

You don’t pay Customs Duty if you owe less than £9.

You may also have to pay import VAT.

So unless you ship it to yourself from the US to the UK and set the value of the package under $9, you ain't making that trip without spending that $200.

You could of course just flat out lie and don't declare it. But if you are caught, you can expect to have to pay a hell of a lot more than the above fees.

Edit : Wait, you're in the US right now? Then I'm honestly not sure how it works... This would be if you were in the UK, going to the US to buy something and then coming back to the UK I think? (at least, that's how it works for the Canada/US border, you have to declare the stuff you bought)

But considering how many people bring their laptops all the time when traveling, I doubt you will be asked to pay duty.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I have done it.

I take it apart and put everything but the PSU and Case in a carryon tightly wrapped in clothes

Im sure that looks great in the scanner xD