Nvidia vs AMD

WaelT

When it comes to choosing GPUs, there is a lot of things to compare.

For example, Nvidia has G-Sync, while AMD has Free-Sync, CUDA vs OpenCL, Gameworks vs !? DSR vs ?! 

My question is, does AMD have a similar technologies to Nvidia's ? Also, do they make a difference in real world ? Does applications like Photoshop and video editing software support both ?

What would you choose between these two and why?!

Gameworks, tressfx?

Amd has vsr, works about the same as dsr.

Support for those cards will depend on the software itself. You'll need to check.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

i personally go nvidia, for both consistency, and because with the power cost in my area its actually profitable to get the more expensive, more energy efficient card...

aside from my personal preferences, its all up to the specific case. generally AMD will be better price/performance wise, where the nvidia side has other features interesting to some, like lower power usage, and some advanced driver stuff (i cannot properly connect my pc to my tv with an AMD card, very isolated case tho.)

When it comes to choosing GPUs, there is a lot of things to compare.

For example, Nvidia has G-Sync, while AMD has Free-Sync, CUDA vs OpenCL, Gameworks vs !? DSR vs ?! 

My question is, does AMD have a similar technologies to Nvidia's ? Also, do they make a difference in real world ? Does applications like Photoshop and video editing software support both ?

What would you choose between these two and why?!

A few things..

First of all this is going to get locked so just a warning lol. They always turn into fights and get locked.

Second of all depends on budget. High end rig is Nvidia low end or cheaper is AMD ( currently).

If there is one program your looking at tell us which and we can tell u what cards better. I find adobe products like Nvidia better but thats just my experience. 

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

i personally go nvidia, for both consistency, and because with the power cost in my area its actually profitable to get the more expensive, more energy efficient card...

aside from my personal preferences, its all up to the specific case. generally AMD will be better price/performance wise, where the nvidia side has other features interesting to some, like lower power usage, and some advanced driver stuff (i cannot properly connect my pc to my tv with an AMD card, very isolated case tho.)

Well, the driver stuff seems untrue, let's take a 2 years old 780Ti into consideration, the driver support for a 710$ card barely 2 years ago is terrible and it's getting smashed by a GTX 970 that's half its price cause Nvidia decided to fuck Kepler and only optimize well for Maxwell.

Now look at my R9 290X, it's also 2 years old and it actually gets better with every driver update to the point when I beat a GTX 980 score in userbenchmark not to mention it's faster than GTX 780Ti, GTX 970 etc. :P

When Pascal comes out, there just as well might be the same situation when a GTX 980Ti will get beaten by equivalent to a GTX 1070 for half its price.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Well, the driver stuff seems untrue, let's take a 2 years old 780Ti into consideration, the driver support for a 710$ card barely 2 years ago is terrible and it's getting smashed by a GTX 970 that's half its price cause Nvidia decided to fuck Kepler and only optimize well for Maxwell.

Now look at my R9 290X, it's also 2 years old and it actually gets better with every driver update to the point when I beat a GTX 980 score in userbenchmark not to mention it's faster than GTX 780Ti, GTX 970 etc. :P

When Pascal comes out, there just as well might be the same situation when a GTX 980Ti will get beaten by equivalent to a GTX 1070 for half its price.

well, i'm not talking about the driver performance when talking about drivers.

i'm talking about it actually being a quick and smooth experience to set up my TV as a 59.7Hz display.

well, i'm not talking about the driver performance when talking about drivers.

i'm talking about it actually being a quick and smooth experience to set up my TV as a 59.7Hz display.

You can do the same with Crimson. AMD is catching up fast.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

You can do the same with Crimson. AMD is catching up fast.

eh, i should probably try out crimson with my HD 5770.

i'll give amd a pass if they got vsync to work on the dang thing...

eh, i should probably try out crimson with my HD 5770.

i'll give amd a pass if they got vsync to work on the dang thing...

The VSR is pretty bad ass, vsync is actually helpful, the game profiles are a dream.

Crossfire is still a nightmare I'm trying to wake up from.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

The VSR is pretty bad ass, vsync is actually helpful, the game profiles are a dream.

well... my HD 5770 is currently held together with custom brackets because it tore itself to pieces from running without any form of vsync for 4 years.

the gigabyte coolers back in the day werent all that amazing either.

what AMD card did you use??

ive used a 7950 with a samsung 32" TV for a couple of years, no issues. colors display correctly. Refresh rate behaves correctly...

i am genuinly interested. because neither my Tahiti based 7950 (280) nor my R9 295x2 (dual 290x) has had any issues with my Samsung TV. And yes, it is a proper TV, albeit small screen size.

when was the last time you used CF?

ive used it for 3+ years, no real issues other then slow drivers at times (generally 1-2 weeks waiting time on average. which is fine with me since most games are halfway broken the first week, before the devs patch stuff)

lock? any way i just like nvidia more, and have always bought nvidia... but gameworks sucks ass.

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

lock? any way i just like nvidia more, and have always bought nvidia... but gameworks sucks ass.

I've always used Nvidia until like 3 months ago, I hated Geforce Experience cause something always didn't work for me and Gameworks as you mentioned suck major ass so I decided to give AMD a try, from a GTX 970 to R9 290X and I haven't regretted it since. More performance for less money

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Seeing as I can't usually afford regular upgrades I just go with whatever gets me more for my money

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

The VSR is pretty bad ass

I tried to use 1080p VSR on my 1366x768 monitor. While it is certainly "badass" it crashed after a few minutes. After I restarted my pc, I freaked out because my monitor said input not supported. Thankfully I can run on safe mode to reset my resolution. I'll be avoiding VSR for now. Just saying. :D

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

I've always used Nvidia until like 3 months ago, I hated Geforce Experience cause something always didn't work for me and Gameworks as you mentioned suck major ass so I decided to give AMD a try, from a GTX 970 to R9 290X and I haven't regretted it since. More performance for less money

Agreed, GeForce Experience sucks balls.

For me, personally, all I care about is game performance NOW and in the relatively near future. For example, AMD is the better prospect, as its superior asynchronous compute performance and general compute performance seems to be a massive advantage in preliminary DX12 benchmarks, something I hope Nvidia's upcoming Pascal architecture addresses. For every feature from one vendor there is usually an equivalent or similar from the other (with the exception of Nvidia GameStream). 

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

I tried to use 1080p VSR on my 1366x768 monitor. While it is certainly "badass" it crashed after a few minutes. After I restarted my pc, I freaked out because my monitor said input not supported. Thankfully I can run on safe mode to reset my resolution. I'll be avoiding VSR for now. Just saying. :D

Odd - shouldn't be crashing - unstable OC?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I'm absolutely loving what my GTX 580 does in comparison to my now gone HD 7770, not purely speed, but drivers and features. Some games that should have ran well did not, now with a 580 it's perfect, like TimeShift.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

I'm absolutely loving what my GTX 580 does in comparison to my now gone HD 7770, not purely speed, but drivers and features. Some games that should have ran well did not, now with a 580 it's perfect, like TimeShift.

That's to be expected, 580 is quite a bit more powerful :)

I buy cards based in which has the best performance when overclocked and stays quiet at the same time. Thus cards with little power consunption are preferable.

And ever since the introduction of Kepler, nvidia was leading in that segment. If AMD was to come out with compelling alternatives again, like they used to in the early Fermi days, I'd go for team red.

Software wise both conpanies have fucked up some itterations of their driver. unless you want to use a variable refresh rate technology the software features of both teams make next to no difference in real world gaming. G-sync still seems to be ahead of freesync though, at least the last time i checked.

who cares...

That's to be expected, 580 is quite a bit more powerful :)

Quite modest... try 3-4x more powerful.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

I buy cards based in which has the best performance when overclocked and stays quiet at the same time. Thus cards with little power consunption are preferable.

And ever since the introduction of Kepler, nvidia was leading in that segment. If AMD was to come out with compelling alternatives again, like they used to in the early Fermi days, I'd go for team red.

Software wise both conpanies have fucked up some itterations of their driver. unless you want to use a variable refresh rate technology the software features of both teams make next to no difference in real world gaming. G-sync still seems to be ahead of freesync though, at least the last time i checked.

G-sync is also much more expensive, price/results wise the Freesync is a better choice

G-sync is also much more expensive, price/results wise the Freesync is a better choice

As so often with Amd vs nvidia, amd is the better price/performance option. It just comes down to personal choice, whether you are willing to pay a premium for little extras.

who cares...