University Project Computer Networks

Manos

Hallo i have an assigment to do for the computer networks class. We are called to create the server client network for a virtual company. I went with the video editing company idea. Problem is i dont know how many subnets i need to create already figured out subnets with the servers, the editors the sales team and the multimedia and maybe research. What else a company like this will need? I have as a guide something like the linus tech tips HQ. The program we are using is riverbed from opnet if anyone is familiar with it to give more specif advices. Please share any thoughts you have will be great help 

AAAnd my whole class is creating acounts for the forum to ask advice.... xD

I think Vlan's would be a better option than subnets nowadays but if you are restricted to using sub nets you should know the amounts of people working in each department ans then chose your /XX subnet mask. I don't remember exactly the numbers of possible users for each /XX but after you choose the number of subnets will be expandable. If you have a /24 network you can have 256 (254 hosts) addreses in your subnet, if that does the trick for you then choose a /24 subnet mask and you'll have plenty of room for more subnets. If you need more, go with a /23 subnet, 512 addresses (510 hosts) in the subnet. 

And so on.

As for departments example:

Admin

TI

Sales

Video editing

Special Effect

Image editing

R&D

HR

Web development ?

Software development ?

So you will most likely need 2 or 3 servers; 1 for current projects, 1 for archiving, and this one could be combined into one of the other 2 but a rendering box. You might also need a security server. Then all you have to decide is how many workstations, for each group. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

we havent been tought about vlans yet so i assume that yes we are restricted to 

I think Vlan's would be a better option than subnets nowadays but if you are restricted to using sub nets you should know the amounts of people working in each department ans then chose your /XX subnet mask. I don't remember exactly the numbers of possible users for each /XX but after you choose the number of subnets will be expandable. If you have a /24 network you can have 256 (254 hosts) addreses in your subnet, if that does the trick for you then choose a /24 subnet mask and you'll have plenty of room for more subnets. If you need more, go with a /23 subnet, 512 addresses (510 hosts) in the subnet. 

And so on.

As for departments example:

Admin

TI

Sales

Video editing

Special Effect

Image editing

R&D

HR

Web development ?

Software development ?

awesome great help!! if you can explain also what R&D  and HR what are they i am coming to marry you

backup, rendering, and archive of backup are the servers you would probably need.

I like Computer Stuffs. Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in again? Automation Expert (Bots, scripts, etc)! Add me on Xbox Live: JollyPlanet449 And on Steam!: Baxtmann Wanshow.tips is a cool place too

So you will most likely need 2 or 3 servers; 1 for current projects, 1 for archiving, and this one could be combined into one of the other 2 but a rendering box. You might also need a security server. Then all you have to decide is how many workstations, for each group. 

We have a minimum of 3 servers and subnets Yup security server will be a great addition thank you :D  The workstions isnt finite so i will decide when i will start designing the netowork

we havent been tought about vlans yet so i assume that yes we are restricted to 

awesome great help!! if you can explain also what R&D  and HR what are they i am coming to marry you

R&D - Research & Development

HR - Human Ressources

:)

*white bitch on*

I have a girlfriend

*white bitch off*

This is a typical problem with entry level networking courses, the examples and scenarios they use are not very realistic and not the way networks are actually setup. Learning about subnets and routing is very important obviously, I just wish they would use examples that are actually more commonly used and likely to encounter.

When setting up networks for businesses VLANs are a core part of this and usually each VLAN is also it's own subnet, something to keep in the back of your mind but as you already said just ignore VLANS for now.

Also creating subnets based on departments or employee roles is not typically the way its done. Normally its done on a per building, floor, or switch cabinet basis. There are exceptions to this depending on security requirements and there are also subnets that will span the entire network i.e. Security cameras, Wireless SSID's and Wireless AP management. Go with what you are instructed to do as part of your assignment of course.

For the subnets the advise I'm going to give will likely go against what is taught in the course but is actually what is easiest and I will explain why. Try and always use /24 subnets for everything but links between routers e.g. Core switch to internet router/firewall. Reason for this is they are much easier to read and understand, especially for minimally trained or untrained IT support staff and junior networking admins.

The servers I'd account for would be:

• Two virtual hosts in HA, VMware or Hyper-V. These would run VMs for things like Domain Controllers, Print Server, General File Server (Home drives etc)
  • Rendering Server
  • Archive Server
  • Security Camera Server
  • Backup Server

Subnets I'd account for would be:

• Servers
  • Security Cameras and Server. Security server would be on both Server and Security subnets
  • IT Support office
  • Level 1
  • Level 2 (Pretending its a multi floor building)
  • Wireless AP and Wireless Controller
  • Wireless SSID
  • Core switch to firewall (/30)

Hope this is helpful and good luck :)

P.S @Manos When you create a topic tick the follow option