Digital or Physical Collection?

EmmaMay

I really enjoy owning a physical item's, but i've become more aware that's it's becoming harder to be a collector of newly released pc games now because of steam so i've started to extend my collection to older games including floppy disks :P, i was just wondering what other collectors collect :).

I really enjoy owning a physical item's, but i've become more aware that's it's becoming harder to be a collector of newly released pc games now because of steam so i've started to extend my collection to older games including floppy disks [emoji14], i was just wondering what other collectors collect :).

I prefer getting physical copies mainly because my ISP is really shitty and downloading one new AAA game would result in my bandwidth getting shaped even though I'm on a uncapped plan

Digital, I just dont have the space and time for physical

heck id need space for 600 DVD cases just for my steam collection

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

i hope you don't mind me asking, but to own that many games on steam does it not bother you that you can't sell them down the line, like if you get bored with them?

^ this.

I'd rather have something store the games for me than myself. I'll probably end up losing a physical copy of how clumsy I am :P

share games wit me

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I really enjoy owning a physical item's, but i've become more aware that's it's becoming harder to be a collector of newly released pc games now because of steam so i've started to extend my collection to older games including floppy disks :P, i was just wondering what other collectors collect :).

No need to have a physical copy today, because of many anti-pirate actions, so you can't install the game from dvd and just go play - you have to download some additional files...

Just get an empty box, print the covering for it and that's it.

The only thing that still worth collecting physical copies today is music.

I prefer physical, but I don't mind digital too (mainly for PC). I do have a large console game collection, jus because those are worth more really (as in on those the full games are usually included, I know this is not the case for Xbox 360 and newer consoles)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

i hope you don't mind me asking, but to own that many games on steam does it not bother you that you can't sell them down the line, like if you get bored with them?

Nope, I never sell games, even games I am bored of, I still might go back to them one day to replay, if not then I just like to keep them in my collection for myself

I am not particularly supportive of the second hand games market anyway

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The physical way is how I roll. It gives me the feeling I actually own and collect the real gams.

Cpu: Intel Core i5 4460 // Gpu: Asus Strix Gtx 970 OC // Psu: Cooler Master v850W // RAM: 4x4gb HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 MHz // MoBo: MSI b85 g41 // case: s340 White

I guess I just need to get with the times and accept steam :P either that or loose out on future games :(

I guess I just need to get with the times and accept steam :P either that or loose out on future games :(

You can always use GOG and get DRM free 

but yeah id say get with the times, retail copies from PC are useless, most of the time the DVD case just contains a code, or a DVD with a setup file that just downloads the whole game anyway

Bear in mind many games are HUGH possibly 60gb, so youd need like 14 DVDs or blu rays etc which is a nightmare in itself

I prefer getting physical copies mainly because my ISP is really shitty and downloading one new AAA game would result in my bandwidth getting shaped even though I'm on a uncapped plan

I'm on an uncapped plan, too. Sometimes Steam is annoying as hell at times (unless someone can give me a full guide that can let me install physical copies of games without DRM's like Steam, Origin, Unity, etc... screwing with me) and ISPs in my country are pretty much under a monopoly... and its SLOW!

You can always use GOG and get DRM free 

but yeah id say get with the times, retail copies from PC are useless, most of the time the DVD case just contains a code, or a DVD with a setup file that just downloads the whole game anyway

Bear in mind many games are HUGH possibly 60gb, so youd need like 14 DVDs or blu rays etc which is a nightmare in itself

Just me ranting on why I prefer physical copies without DRM's cockblocking me and why I wish more developers should continue using physical copies even VIA stick drive (if they were to go this route), CD's, etc... that have the full game inside the physical copy and not just a code and some shit in the CD that isn't the full game. 

Sometimes I wish ISPs in my country aren't so shit. Pay a near $100 premium (cuz, duh, they said, you need a phone with your router so you're gonna pay for the phone along with the internet service, whether you use the phone at all or not, whether the phone's plugged in or not) for 10mbps down and barely 1mbps up... AND ITS BARELY STABLE OR EVEN REACH A THIRD OF ITS ADVERTISED SPEED ON BEST DAYS! And oh, here's the funny part, if you happen to live in an area that doesn't have Fibr/Fiber/Fibre/whatever that is connection, they ain't givin' it to you cuz "your area doesn't support it" and shit. The worse part is that the competition is worse. Plus the hassle of moving, and expense... I could've used that money on things I actually want and need like games and food, not having to replace an entire motherfucking rig because the movers took a shit route thats going uphill and the lock of the door wasn't good enough that it broke my entire rig, which was protected to the nth degree that I could afford with a pelican case (no padlocks, though, cuz that pelican case's padlock loop was too small to fit padlocks I could buy nearby), with foam pads ontop of the foam pads IN the case. The company refuses to pay for it because they can't believe that a PC can cost as much as a second-hand car. So, fuck them. USD$3000 for a PC... just DESTROYED!

Yeah, I just moved in an area to have Fibr/Fiber/Fibre/whatever that shit is because it was just an increase of USD$20/month for more than double the advertised download speed, which I doubt its true but is significantly less shitty compared to the competition here because monopoly. But since that moving company wouldn't take responsibility for my rig and I can't afford a lawyer, I'm currently without a rig and in fucking poorly maintained internet cafe's that have noisy ass kids and even ADULTS who keep shouting "PUTANGINA MO! BOBO! AKO MID!" or in english "YOU SON OF A BITCH! DUMBASS/STUPID! I'M MID!" and I wanna fucking play Warframe... and since I never thought to myself being in this cesspool ever again after building this rig, sometimes I wish I downloaded the mobile version of Warframe and keep it on a stick drive for shit like this. But fuck it! I've moved three times. First one was easy but took alot of time because I didn't wanna hire movers, which took me around two weeks. Second move was a pain in the ass because the movers don't know what FRAGILE FUCKING MEANS! The third one, the latest one, were as dumb and are assholes! This is why I believe no one should be pushed to a compromise of moving shit JUST TO GET BETTER INTERNET CONNECTION! ITS BEEN YEARS AND THERE'S NO FIBR/FIBRE/FIBER CONNECTION IN THE AREA I WAS IN BEFORE MY CURRENT AREA!

So, how the fuck does this relate to the topic? Well, I am sick and fucking tired of waiting 5-10 hours of downloading games WHEN THE ETA STEAM DECLARES IS 2 OR 3 HOURS (sometimes even coming home from work a full 8 hour day and I still see the fucking thing still downloading, with an improvement from 1% to 50%... AND STEAM IS THE ONLY PROGRAM RUNNING, IN ESSENCE, THAT TAKES UP INTERNET BANDWIDTH OR WHATEVER! I'M STARTING TO THINK THEIR SERVERS/MY ISP CAN BYPASS ANY CONSUMER NIC's AND MAKE IT DO WHATEVER THEY WANT! SOMETIMES IT DISCONNECTS!) that aren't even 5gb (not necessarily 5gb games, but you get the point that even games of this file size suffer from shit like this in my country) of file size and don't even need to be patched anyways, while even cockblocking me from watching a full one minute video on YouTube because it strangely distributes its bandwidth to Steam or whatever DRM I'm using. Thats why I wish more devs would just stick with physical copies even if the game ends up costing $100, IMHO, because I don't wanna deal with this shit anymore. When a new game comes out and I wanna play it, free or pay to play, I look at the file size REAL HARD and even read reviews if its worth downloading the damn thing or if its physical copy doesn't require me to wait for the damn thing to. Sometimes I don't even give a damn about Steam Sales cuz I know at the end of the day, I've wasted time waiting for the game to download cuz of shit! And yeah, VPN's don't do any improvements. But now that I'm on Fiber/Fibr/Fibre/Whatever the fuck it is, I hope it isn't as agonizing as before. As if playing multiplayer games at 300ms wasn't bad enough, let alone trying to find servers that are under 300ms that have a room for me to get in.

So, yeah, more of me senselessly ranting about this shit. If I get a copy of a video game thats mostly or purely single player, why the fuck do I need to wait 10 hours for that fucker to download? THIS IS WHY I FUCKING HATE DRM'S AT TIMES! IF DIGITAL IS THE FUTURE, AND THE FUTURE LOOKS LIKE THIS, WHAT MAKES THE FUTURE BETTER FOR EVERYONE?! I'M SORRY, BUT I CAN'T AFFORD TO MOVE TO KOREA OR SINGAPORE! SO DEVS, PLEASE, DON'T GIVE UP ON PHYSICAL COPIES JUST YET! 

But yeah, the only time I'm dropping physical copies is when my country's ISP stops being a bitch just cuz its well protected enough by the law to turn it into a monopoly... which I don't know when it'll end.

SNIP

ISPs aside I just prefer DRM free digital 

Both, meaning I like to have a "tangible digital" copy of my things. I hate subscription-based services (applications, music, movies, etc.); I like having them on a drive somewhere and not in "the cloud".

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

ISPs aside I just prefer DRM free digital 

There are publishers/developers out there that sell their games online without DRM's? All I know is that CD Projekt/CD Projekt Red that does this (though I could be wrong). But then again... fuck.

There are publishers/developers out there that sell their games online without DRM's? All I know is that CD Projekt/CD Projekt Red that does this (though I could be wrong). But then again... fuck.

Every single game sold on GoG is DRM free

Both because I abhor overage fees. Honestly, it's pretty fucking ridiculous over here in Canada. We only have two major ISP's yet it feels like a monopoly. Especially now with streaming and digital downloads becoming more prevalent nowadays. These corporate fat cats will find every opportunity to gouge their customers.

Out of spite I might cut cable tv come new years.

/endrant

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

I have a biiiiig Original XBOX collection, a good Dreamcast collection, and decent PS2 collection.

Physical is just so much more satisfying, it's like sex if it went digital... Demolition Man anyone?

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

I bought a retail dvd copy of Fallout 4, then activated it on steam and donwloaded the game there too, where do I belong? lmao

I have been exclusively digital for the last few years now. I just don't like the clutter of physical copies. 

When I was on console, physical ALL DA WAY!

When I moved to PC I tried to stay physical but with DRM and the majority of games not available in physical form, I had to switch to digital. Not a fan, but understand the reasons for it. Besides Star Craft a decade ago, Fallout 4 was my first physical PC purchase (and I didn't even need the CD out, the steam code was included in the box).

Digital offers more sales and saves me the trip to the store but digital at launch cost the same as the physical counterpart (why do I still need to pay $60 for a game that doesn't have a cd,case,or booklet?!?!?). Also I don't feel like digital games are genuinely mine, more like Steam is leasing them to me. What if the game is no longer supported? Or gets removed from Steam? I'm out w/e I paid for the game.

Sony Mobile did the same thing last summer (?) and ever since then I have become even more paranoid. But we PC-peeps have little choice.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

I'm on an uncapped plan, too. Sometimes Steam is annoying as hell at times (unless someone can give me a full guide that can let me install physical copies of games without DRM's like Steam, Origin, Unity, etc... screwing with me) and ISPs in my country are pretty much under a monopoly... and its SLOW!

Same here Literally have one ISP then other little ISPs but basically piggybacking of the main ones infrastructure. As far as I know if you want a legit copy of a game DRM is something you're gonna have to live with so I just buy physical copies install whatever updates I need to play the game and play.

Same here Literally have one ISP then other little ISPs but basically piggybacking of the main ones infrastructure. As far as I know if you want a legit copy of a game DRM is something you're gonna have to live with so I just buy physical copies install whatever updates I need to play the game and play.

Are you from the Philippines or Indonesia?

Are you from the Philippines or Indonesia?

South Africa....so its that bad elsewhere too uh