Can someone please explain this CPU question i have...

Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

So ill start off by explaining that i am a new computer noob, so im still learning a lot. 

But so i was wondering how you can get an AMD processor that has 8 cores, 3.2gh, for only 99 bucks... While the intel version is .2 gh less and is about 800 dollars more expensive!

How could this be?! I've always been intel but now im questioning it

Links:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/437624/FX_8320E_Black_Edition_32GHz_Eight-Core_Socket_AM3_Boxed_Processor

http://www.microcenter.com/product/437205/Core_i7-5960X_30_GHz_LGA_2011-V3_Boxed_Processor

Thanks guys!

- Ethan

The pricing is in line with performance. Those specs alone don't tell you the performance.

You can read the description of this video for a more detailed explanation. (full disclosure; it's my own video, but it's for informational purposes only)

So ill start off by explaining that i am a new computer noob, so im still learning a lot. 

But so i was wondering how you can get an AMD processor that has 8 cores, 3.2gh, for only 99 bucks... While the intel version is .2 gh less and is about 800 dollars more expensive!

Links:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/437624/FX_8320E_Black_Edition_32GHz_Eight-Core_Socket_AM3_Boxed_Processor

http://www.microcenter.com/product/437205/Core_i7-5960X_30_GHz_LGA_2011-V3_Boxed_Processor

Thanks guys!

- Ethan

Links:

Thanks guys!

- Ethan

The pricing is in line with performance. Those specs alone don't tell you the performance.

You can read the description of this video for a more detailed explanation. (full disclosure; it's my own video, but it's for informational purposes only)

tl;dr core count and clock speed doesn't matter most of the time, and Intel has better single-core performance

Basically, most Intel processors perform better at the same clock speed, and even with less cores. The amount of instructions per clock, which is much more important to determining the speed of a processor, that Intel has on their chips in general is a considerable amount higher than a comparable AMD chip. So even though that AMD processor has a slightly higher clock speed, the Intel chip runs more instructions per clock speed, so it still ends up being way faster.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

AMD CPUs are not as good as their Intel counterparts nowadays. There are many different things besides cores and speed that determine a processor's worth. It would take a while to go through them, but basically Intel comes out on top. Oh, and you don't need more than 4 cores. A 5960X is overkill and about 9001% better than the 8320E.

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

Oh that makes a lot of sense, thanks!

Same concept goes for GPUs. You shouldn't be looking at specs of the hardware unless you need it to be a certain, specific spec for your specific purpose. Otherwise, benchmarks in the application you're using would help way more.

Links:

Thanks guys!

- Ethan

processors get more advanced because of nano-meter process. The AMD is at 32nm and the i7 is at 22nm. As a result you get greater single and multicore performace as well as reduced heat. Also the i7 is a workstation cpu while the 8320 is just a consumer grade one.( and a lot of other factors) The speed difference is quite vast though. it's like an m3 vs a ferrari. I'm only a 1st year compeng and comsci student in high school so expect someone far more capable than I am to elaborate on this more thoroughly. 

It's because one is miles better than the other 

Trust me, I have the 8350, try putting it up against my friends 4770k. 

I used to be quite active here.

Your lucky you found this out before you started building PC's, I made the mistake of buying a AM3+ motherboard when I first started to prepare to build my first gaming PC I wanted to use a FX-8350 or 6350, then I found out what really equaled performance and realized that the i5-3450 in my prebuilt desktop only needed a good GPU and a few other upgrades to make it great (it came with a geforce 210), I sold the motherboard and have been happy ever since.

Still rocking the 3450.

processors get more advanced because of nano-meter process. The AMD is at 32nm and the i7 is at 22nm. As a result you get greater single and multicore performace as well as reduced heat. Also the i7 is a workstation cpu while the 8320 is just a consumer grade one.( and a lot of other factors) The speed difference is quite vast though. it's like an m3 vs a ferrari. I'm only a 1st year compeng and comsci student in high school so expect someone far more capable than I am to elaborate on this more thoroughly. 

Intel's 32nm processors still destroy AMD's current lineup. It's really more about the layout of the transistors which determines the efficiency of calculations; how many "Hz" it takes to do an operation. That's what determines performance, not the size of the transistor, that's about power draw and physical size. Though it does affect how many transistors you can fit on the circuit, which itself might increase performance.

Intel's 32nm processors still destroy AMD's current lineup. It's really more about the layout of the transistors which determines the efficiency of calculations; how many "Hz" it takes to do an operation. That's what determines performance, not the size of the transistor, that's about power draw and physical size. Though it does affect how many transistors you can fit on the circuit, which itself might increase performance.

oh okay, thanks for correcting me.

Basically, it's all about the architecture. Intel (as of right now) has the FAR superior CPU architecture and over twice the IPC (instructions per clock) per core vs AMD. That is the most simple way to put it. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS