Chaining 3 Noctua fans to one mobo PWN connector

SammLeach

Hi,

I bought x3 Noctua NF-A8 PWM case fans. Each came with a splitter where I could chain 2 or 3 of them to the same mobo 4 pin case fan connector.

Is going this fine? Will all 3 fans be able to run at full speeds like this?

[3 4-pin PWM fans connected to 1 4-pin PWN mobo connector]

Thanks.

October 2015 Dev Rig:

6700K @ 4.4GHz 1.2v || Noctua NH-D9L || ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac Z170 || 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 2400MHz 15-15-15-35 || Samsung SM951 NVMe M.2 512GB || Antec HCG 620M || Thermaltake Core V1 || LG 29EA73 2560x1080 Ultrawide || Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 || Logitech G5 Blue

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2010 || 120GB SSD || 8GB (Will upgrade to 2016 15" model)

iPhone 4 || Nexus 4 32GB || OnePlus One 64GB || Moto 360 || Nexus 9 32GB || Kindle Paperwhite || Sennheiser CX 300-II

im not entirly sure how it would go. maybe it will be too much power and maybe break the pins, or it will work

you see this? this is my signature. btw im Norwegian 

Spoiler

CPU - Intel I7-5820K, Motherboard - ASUS X99-A, RAM - Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 16GB, GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 970, Case - Cooler Master HAF XB evo, Storage - Intel SSD 330 Series 120GB - OS, WD Desktop Blue 500GB - storage 1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB - storage 2, PSU - Corsair RM850x (overkill i know), Display(s)- AOC 24" g2460Pg, Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2 Noctua 120mm PWM, 1 Corsair 120mm AF RED LED, Keyboard - SpeedLink VIRTUIS Advanced, Mouse - razer deathadder chroma, Sound - Logitech Z313, SteelSeries Siberia V2 HyperX Edition, OS - Windows 10 (prefer windows 7)

Napkin Maths, each fan has a max amps of 0.08A. Most mobo fan headers give 1A, so yes, you can create a massive web of splitters and put 12 of these fans on 1 header if you really want. you won't be able to control their speed individually though. You could also get a fan controller.  

If you make a post contradicting mine that doesn't directly address my claims, or cites 'facts' without evidence, I'm probably not going to bother responding to it, because you probably didn't bother reading my post properly, and because life is too short. It doesn't mean I don't have an answer for you. It means I'm not dignifying you with a response. 

im not entirly sure how it would go. maybe it will be too much power and maybe break the pins, or it will work

If you're not sure, why reply? You reply provides zero value.

Napkin Maths, each fan has a max amps of 0.08A. Most mobo fan headers give 1A, so yes, you can create a massive web of splitters and put 12 of these fans on 1 header if you really want. you won't be able to control their speed individually though. You could also get a fan controller.  

Ok. Makes sense. Thanks.

October 2015 Dev Rig:

6700K @ 4.4GHz 1.2v || Noctua NH-D9L || ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac Z170 || 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 2400MHz 15-15-15-35 || Samsung SM951 NVMe M.2 512GB || Antec HCG 620M || Thermaltake Core V1 || LG 29EA73 2560x1080 Ultrawide || Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 || Logitech G5 Blue

iPhone 4 || Nexus 4 32GB || OnePlus One 64GB || Moto 360 || Nexus 9 32GB || Kindle Paperwhite || Sennheiser CX 300-II

Ok. Makes sense. Thanks.

trying to be helpful, turns out you dont need

you see this? this is my signature. btw im Norwegian 

Spoiler

CPU - Intel I7-5820K, Motherboard - ASUS X99-A, RAM - Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 16GB, GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 970, Case - Cooler Master HAF XB evo, Storage - Intel SSD 330 Series 120GB - OS, WD Desktop Blue 500GB - storage 1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB - storage 2, PSU - Corsair RM850x (overkill i know), Display(s)- AOC 24" g2460Pg, Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2 Noctua 120mm PWM, 1 Corsair 120mm AF RED LED, Keyboard - SpeedLink VIRTUIS Advanced, Mouse - razer deathadder chroma, Sound - Logitech Z313, SteelSeries Siberia V2 HyperX Edition, OS - Windows 10 (prefer windows 7)

Yes you can, as stated you just add the amperage of each fan to determine how many you can run off one PWM header. 

Not all fans are such low amperage as those noctuas, however, so though in this case you can put 4 of those fans on one header, that is not always the case!  Just to be clear.

Ok. Makes sense. Thanks.

Just note it's a good rule of thumb to not have more than 3-4 fan per header since the starting current sometimes is many times higher than the rated running current. If you plan for PWM fans to have a whole lot of them using a separately power splitter is good since it takes power from the PSU but PWM signal still from the header. 

http://www.amazon.com/Swiftech-8W-PWM-SPL-ST-Way-PWM-Splitter-Sata/dp/B00IF6R4C8

Yes you can, as stated you just add the amperage of each fan to determine how many you can run off one PWM header. 

Not all fans are such low amperage as those noctuas, however, so though in this case you can put 4 of those fans on one header, that is not always the case!  Just to be clear.

Just note it's a good rule of thumb to not have more than 3-4 fan per header since the starting current sometimes is many times higher than the rated running current. If you plan for PWM fans to have a whole lot of them using a separately power splitter is good since it takes power from the PSU but PWM signal still from the header. 

http://www.amazon.com/Swiftech-8W-PWM-SPL-ST-Way-PWM-Splitter-Sata/dp/B00IF6R4C8

Ok. Thanks. Good to know.

Temps now never rise over 80C while before they would reach up to 84C.

Now I have the 3 80mm Noctuas on one connector and the CPU 90mm on another. I guess it would make sense to put 2 fans on one connector each.

Noctua goodness:

qEK4efR.jpg?1

October 2015 Dev Rig:

Ok. Thanks. Good to know.

Temps now never rise over 80C while before they would reach up to 84C.

Now I have the 3 80mm Noctuas on one connector and the CPU 90mm on another. I guess it would make sense to put 2 fans on one connector each.

Noctua goodness:

qEK4efR.jpg?1

The regularity of the fans look nice. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.