Centurion 5

t33to
Go to solution Solved by Tagiau,

Right of course. The whole case has been gutted as this was a very old build from a friend.

I'm thinking about this:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/arctic-cooling-arctic-f8-80mm-a0-68295-1716.htm

http://www.ncix.com/detail/fractal-design-silent-series-r2-ea-71008-1887.htm

Both quite cheap, no lights and from what I know of DB ratings those are relatively quiet right?

If this case has been gutted/modded, there is no way for me to tell if the fan mounts are stock. That being said, if they are stock, both of those fans are okay. Keep in mind that no matter what you get an 80mm fan will still be fairly loud.

K, so I got this old case I'm gonna put new life into with my budget i5-4590 / GTX 960 build / EVGA 500w.

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/centurion-5/

Do you guys think it important that I max out the fan ports on this thing, and what fans would you suggest? Do you think I even need case fans? I was tempted to just let passive venting and the power supply do it's thing but might as well grab some nice and quiet and cheap fans while the sales are on if need be.

go with skylake, an i5 6400 would be perfect, and a b150 or h110 board to go along with it :)

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

go with skylake, an i5 6400 would be perfect, and a b150 or h110 board to go along with it :)

Get a 380 instead of the 960.

Guys, I already ordered the parts. 2011.v3 was too expensive and way over meets my needs. Hell I have friends with i5-2500k and they are doing fine still. Radeon support on Linux is complete shit, even with the release of Crimson and one of the HDD's in this machine will be Debian Linux as I'm evaluating for a large crew of gamers how viable gaming on Linux has progressed.

Also! I asked for fan advice! Appreciate the replies anyhow lol.

for a 960 you probably dont need an i5 you can probably go i3 or something without bottlenecking it. and if you go with what arc_jester suggested and get the 380 you coulld go amd fx and get a 6300 or something so you can get some cheap ddr3 ram and motherboard.

EDIT:

Just read youre using linux. and you already ordered the parts.

FYI: you should have made the question about fans and all that more obvious I had to re read the actual post to figure out what you were even asking.

Okay, it would seem i will answer your question. That case only supports an 80mm fan, so sure add the max amount of fans.

if you want to shell out some cash for fans by all means do it. if you want some good silent fans get noctua but those are kinda expensive. you could also go corsair quiet edition for some

money off. If you care about silence you really don't want to get cheap fans as they'll spin really loud do to cheap construction and materials compared to someone who has a good enough profit margin to spend all that cash money $$$$$ on the bearings so it doesn't have coil whine and shit.

A case like that needs all the airflow it can get, maybe a 120mm and some 80mm noctuas will do the trick. I recommend getting a better case.

for a 960 you probably dont need an i5 you can probably go i3 or something without bottlenecking it. and if you go with what arc_jester suggested and get the 380 you coulld go amd fx and get a 6300 or something so you can get some cheap ddr3 ram and motherboard.

EDIT:

Just read youre using linux. and you already ordered the parts.

FYI: you should have made the question about fans and all that more obvious I had to re read the actual post to figure out what you were even asking.

Need the quad core for my work, which often involves running two Virtual Machines, which is also why I want 16gb DDR3.

Okay, it would seem i will answer your question. That case only supports an 80mm fan, so sure add the max amount of fans.

Hrm, I should re-read the specs on the case, I thought it support 1x120mm on the back.

Hrm, I should re-read the specs on the case, I thought it support 1x120mm on the back.

It comes with a 120mm rear exhaust fan, then it support an 80mm front intake. You can't add anything else without modding the case.

It comes with a 120mm rear exhaust fan, then it support an 80mm front intake. You can't add anything else without modding the case.

Right of course. The whole case has been gutted as this was a very old build from a friend.

I'm thinking about this:

Both quite cheap, no lights and from what I know of DB ratings those are relatively quiet right?

I'm thinking about this:

If this case has been gutted/modded, there is no way for me to tell if the fan mounts are stock. That being said, if they are stock, both of those fans are okay. Keep in mind that no matter what you get an 80mm fan will still be fairly loud.

Wasn't even aware there was no stock fan mounts. Ok, maybe I'll do away with the front 80mm and just keep the big quiet exhaust. I suppose I could always just unplug it if it's too loud.

Thanks for tips guys.