Dirt Cheap Server Build Cooling

GenieBeule

So, i'm kinda looking into making a similar build like Linus with his "dirt cheap 8 Core" setup.

But i have one major problem. In the video he kinda says "yea cooling is hard etc." but i have asolutley no idea how to find coolers that fit, since most coolers dont mount on that rectangular shape anymore most server boards have. Maybe i'm just being incredibly dumb, but the coolers i have found are incredibly expensive and that would kind of defeat the purpose of a cheap setup like that. Any suggestions?

(Oh by the way, the Board i'm currently looking at is a DELL Precision Workstation 490 with 2 Intel Xeon E5430, if thats a bad choice let me know as well :) )

Hyper 212 or DeepCool Gammaxx 400... should be around 25USD per...

zip ties

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

zip ties

This would be the method Linus uses.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Noctua has a bunch of coolers for server sockets: http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-workstation-server.html

But see, none of those are for the right sockets, they are for today commonly used sockets like LGA1366, but those old server boards don't use those. The Socket im looking for is a LGA 771.

zip ties

I know thats what he said in the video, but i don't undestand how you would actually do that. Since it would put such a restraint on the board, that it would break (maybe thats just me) and some of the holes are in the middle of the board so where would you put the zip ties there? And what type of cooler would you use then? Just a normal cooler, don't mount it and instead zip tie it with the heat pipes?

Noctua has a pretty good support team, ask if they have a mounting kit for 771 that would work with their newer line of coolers.

So first thing, i actually live in Germany so that wouldn't work and second that thing is pretty expensive. I have no Problem getting one for that price on ebay, but again im trying to get away with a very low budget and that was also the intend of linus' video, but i think he just had a few coolers lying around and didn't account for paying for the coolers. But i just don't think that there's no way of getting a used cooler from a salvaged server or something... It's just kind of bizzare paying almost double the price for the cooling of the cpu than the cpu itself.

Sorry, didn't realize you're in Germany.

An easy solution would be to just use thermal adhesive like https://www.caseking.de/arctic-silver-premium-silver-thermal-adhesive-zuwa-039.html

That should work for a stock heatsink but may not be such a good idea for a heavier unit, unless you keep the motherboard on it's back.

This one might also be an alternative http://www.amazon.de/Super-Micro-SNK-P0034AP-Server-K%C3%BChler/dp/B001V5NAXM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_3/277-8551518-6865565?ie=UTF8&dpID=21fe7drutzL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1VMBXRNJ3XTHSTBFCQ4V

Specifications are the biggest problem with trying to find an LGA 771 cooler. These servers were typically run in 1U (~25mm max cooler height) and 2U configurations (~55mm max cooler height), so trying to keep a Xeon CPU running within specified temperature ranges in low profile configurations means that these coolers are naturally going to be much more expensive. 3U and 4U configurations allowed for a lot more headroom in finding a CPU cooler.

The CPU coolers I use to keep two 2U servers within temperature specifications cost ~45 USD each for an AMD socket (the Intel version for some reason is priced higher). They're low profile and able to keep those CPUs cool under load while still being quiet enough that the system doesn't sound like a jet engine even at idle. For most server configurations, noise takes a back seat to cooling capacity (in heavy server rooms, hearing protection is required), so any CPU cooler you find is likely not going to be quiet, and any that are will come at a premium, so expect to have to change out fans.

Yes, I agree that Linus should've covered this as it's a very important detail he overlooked. However you can still find coolers for this socket. The question is your pricing expectations, which it sounds like you're not going to be able to meet them.

One other note, the part number for the original Intel cooler for these CPUs is D39267-002, so see where you can source that, albeit it'd be used or refurbished. Otherwise, just keep looking for an LGA 771 cooler. Chances are any you find will be imported from North America, so they're going to come at a premium anyway. As Linus is in Canada, the cooler cost for him probably wasn't substantial if he had to buy one. Plus cooling solution choices, and by extension costs, are subjective and will vary between buyers.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

Specifications are the biggest problem with trying to find an LGA 771 cooler. These servers were typically run in 1U (~25mm max cooler height) and 2U configurations (~55mm max cooler height), so trying to keep a Xeon CPU running within specified temperature ranges in low profile configurations means that these coolers are naturally going to be much more expensive. 3U and 4U configurations allowed for a lot more headroom in finding a CPU cooler.

The CPU coolers I use to keep two 2U servers within temperature specifications cost ~45 USD each for an AMD socket (the Intel version for some reason is priced higher). They're low profile and able to keep those CPUs cool under load while still being quiet enough that the system doesn't sound like a jet engine even at idle. For most server configurations, noise takes a back seat to cooling capacity (in heavy server rooms, hearing protection is required), so any CPU cooler you find is likely not going to be quiet, and any that are will come at a premium, so expect to have to change out fans.

Yes, I agree that Linus should've covered this as it's a very important detail he overlooked. However you can still find coolers for this socket. The question is your pricing expectations, which it sounds like you're not going to be able to meet them.

One other note, the part number for the original Intel cooler for these CPUs is D39267-002, so see where you can source that, albeit it'd be used or refurbished. Otherwise, just keep looking for an LGA 771 cooler. Chances are any you find will be imported from North America, so they're going to come at a premium anyway. As Linus is in Canada, the cooler cost for him probably wasn't substantial if he had to buy one. Plus cooling solution choices, and by extension costs, are subjective and will vary between buyers.

Alright, thanks alot. Just one question, do you know if i could use a LGA604 cooler? They should have the same mounting holes but i've read different answers online. Some say they are compatible but others say they wont touch the CPU. But if those work that would be great as they are available for like 15 euro.