Lots to cover, Tons of questions

Fringedabyss

With christmas around the corner i figured it would be time to replace my 5 year old 60hz gateway monitor. So i started looking at 144hz, 1ms response time 1080p monitors. Well come to find out their is no point in getting a 144hz (or similar) monitor unless your GPU gets 120+ FPS in games. Sadly my 6970 does not do that in some of the games i play( LOL, CSGO, CIV5, WOW, H1Z1, D3, SWTOR) however it runs 60+ FPS (except wow and swtor)

So my question is should i not get the monitor and get a new GPU (i just got the 6970 from a family member like a week ago) or should i get the monitor?

Just FYI my rig is a HP pavilion *facepalm*

id go with the monitor, you can always upgrade the gpu later

I don't know, i hear a lot about how 144hz is one of those "one you go, you wont go back situations" but even with a older GPU is it worth it?

With christmas around the corner i figured it would be time to replace my 5 year old 60hz gateway monitor. So i started looking at 144hz, 1ms response time 1080p monitors. Well come to find out their is no point in getting a 144hz (or similar) monitor unless your GPU gets 120+ FPS in games. Sadly my 6970 does not do that in some of the games i play( LOL, CSGO, CIV5, WOW, H1Z1, D3, SWTOR) however it runs 60+ FPS (except wow and swtor)

So my question is should i not get the monitor and get a new GPU (i just got the 6970 from a family member like a week ago) or should i get the monitor?

Just FYI my rig is a HP pavilion *facepalm*

Put it this way. Unless your GPU can reach those hertz, you won't see them. It's as simple as that, so with that out the way, I would suggest you get a better GPU first. After that you can invest in a monitor. Or just save for both and get them at the same time when you have the cash together. That way you will truly feel the upgrade. 

just my 2 centz.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

How are you not able to pull 100+ FPS in League and CSGO? You can run those games on a calculator watch. If those two are your main games I'd say go for it. Otherwise, upgrade your GPU first.

How are you not able to pull 100+ FPS in League and CSGO? You can run those games on a calculator watch. If those two are your main games I'd say go for it. Otherwise, upgrade your GPU first.

Well the only games i can't run above 100+ are wow and swtor. Lol, csgo, D3 and civ 5 all run 100+. So yeah im kinda confused. I do play skyrim and such every now and then but i just listed what i play most of the time (except wow and swtor).

Well the only games i can't run above 100+ are wow and swtor. Lol, csgo, D3 and civ 5 all run 100+. So yeah im kinda confused. I do play skyrim and such every now and then but i just listed what i play most of the time (except wow and swtor).

Ehh even so, you'd want to upgrade your GPU to hit the 144 maximum. Screen tearing is less noticeable at high refresh rates but it's still a thing. Unless you don't care about it, then it's totally your call. What GPU are you looking to upgrade to?

Ehh even so, you'd want to upgrade your GPU to hit the 144 maximum. Screen tearing is less noticeable at high refresh rates but it's still a thing. Unless you don't care about it, then it's totally your call. What GPU are you looking to upgrade to?

Whatever i can for under 200 i have been looking at a 280x or even a 290 if posible

Whatever i can for under 200 i have been looking at a 280x or even a 290 if posible

Yeah that card will crush all the games your mentioned. A 144hz monitor would be much more worth it at that point.

Yeah that card will crush all the games your mentioned. A 144hz monitor would be much more worth it at that point.

I have a sapphire branded blower style 6970 compare how loud that is to a reference 290/290x?

I have a sapphire branded blower style 6970 compare how loud that is to a reference 290/290x?

Not the guy to ask about that. The consensus seems to be that blower style cards are pretty loud though. Try to get a card with a fan cooler if you can.

Not the guy to ask about that. The consensus seems to be that blower style cards are pretty loud though. Try to get a card with a fan cooler if you can.

I will try thanks for all the help. will let you know what happens