F@H as a stress test?

The title says it all. Can I use Folding At Home as a stress test?

Breaking things 1 day at a time

It does run at 85% to 95-97% usage on my PC, but I don't think it can be used as a stress test. I'm not sure though. 

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

I mean you could but It would be hard to compare your results as most stress test push a computer to run harder and hotter that folding should (also folding is more variable in how hard it will push the computer), so I don't recommend it to be your only test at the very least. Use intel XTU or aida 64

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

you could, but you should not use it for stress testing after an overclock. but for temperature testing it should suffice, make sure that the comparison material you have uses the same settings though.

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

You should just use either the standard XTU from intel, AIDA-64 or CPU-Z to stress test it.

Folding doesn't heat up your GPU nearly as much as gaming or other stress tests do.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Folding@home also puts a different load on your card than a gaming scenario or traditional 

stress testing software would, no it wouldn't be any good for checking your oc other than to

see if your oc would work in f@h. It's also just a very silly thing to do when you have dedicated

software for this exact purpose that just straight up works better, and won't put unnecessary 

load on their servers borking wu's. 

Folding@home also puts a different load on your card than a gaming scenario or traditional 

stress testing software would, no it wouldn't be any good for checking your oc other than to

see if your oc would work in f@h. It's also just a very silly thing to do when you have dedicated

software for this exact purpose that just straight up works better, and won't put unnecessary 

load on their servers borking wu's. 

what if someone made something that would make 50 vms and run f@h and shut them down and restart them from a control point xD rip f@h servers

what if someone made something that would make 50 vms and run f@h and shut them down and restart them from a control point xD rip f@h servers

Well, realistically it isn't a big problem, just unnecessary. Considering the size the project even a few 

thousand requests probably wouldn't cause a hiccup.

Folding doesn't heat up your GPU nearly as much as gaming or other stress tests do.

Mine does :/

GPU will go to around 70C in both Folding and stuff like Battlefield :P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I would never use F@H as a stress test.  Put all the technical stuff like load on the system etc. aside and consider this: The point of F@H is provide useful work to the researchers who need it.  If you are running a stress test, that implies there is the possibility of instability and thus of a crash, and thus of messing up their work.  Yes I know it will detect and correct for failed or defective work units but why throw a wrench in their system just for your own gain, especially when there are better ways to do it?  

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.