dual 980Ti classies or wait for pascal?

shert73

Doing a pretty big watercooling / case upgrade. Figured I should go ahead and upgrade my 980's. Should I drop the $1,200ish on 980Ti classies or wait for Pascal? Any word on a release for Pascal? I've been out of the loop for about a year, sorry for the noob question. Thanks.

<p>CPU: Intel i7 4790k(4.9GHz), Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2 way SLI) PSU: EVGA 850w G2 Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer, EK,Alphacool,Bitspower custom loop.

“Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.”

Albert Einstein 14 December 1930

If your upgrading from 980s wait for pascal.

Any idea of a time frame? I'm not in a huge hurry, I missed the upgrade program for the Ti's by 2 days. I dont want to purchase new ones than be SOL. But I was not happy with the 980's performance.

<p>CPU: Intel i7 4790k(4.9GHz), Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2 way SLI) PSU: EVGA 850w G2 Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer, EK,Alphacool,Bitspower custom loop.

Any idea of a time frame? I'm not in a huge hurry, I missed the upgrade program for the Ti's by 2 days. I dont want to purchase new ones than be SOL. But I was not happy with the 980's performance.

People speculate that Pascal will be hitting the markets at around Q2 2016.

Did my post help you? Then make sure to rate it!

Check out my post on symbolic links! || PSU ranking and tiers || Pokemon Thread

What resolution are you gaming on, or why are you unhappy with your 980s?

who cares...

People speculate that Pascal will be hitting the markets at around Q2 2016.

That speculation is about small pascal chips, similar to how the 750 ti and maxwell was released.

I REALLY doubt we will see the big boy chips anywhere near q2.

If you want performance now that is GUARANTEED, buy now. Pascal could come in 3 months, it could come in 8.

Most likely nvidia will do the same shit they've done the last few years, release small chips early, medium chips a month or two later, then have a big full chip that costs 1000$, few months later slightly cut down chip for 650.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

What resolution are you gaming on, or why are you unhappy with your 980s?

1440 atm. I just don't feel that I got my money's worth with the "flagship" card at the time. They just felt like there could have been more, maybe because the titan came out so soon after I made my purchase.

1440 atm. I just don't feel that I got my money's worth with the "flagship" card at the time. They just felt like there could have been more, maybe because the titan came out so soon after I made my purchase.

Are there any games that you can not max out at a rock solid 60 FPS? Unless you plan to play at higher refresh rates (144Hz) i see nonreason why to upgrade, especially in a custom loop.

who cares...

I feel you here trust me. I bought the GTX980 as 3way SLI when it was released, but I knew that this was just a performance chip. I skipped the custom loop therefore and waited, while tormenting my ears with the noise of 3 air cooled GPUs, for the GM200 aka Titan X.

But I also game in 4K and if you don´t plan to upgrade your screen any time soon, the GTX980s will do just fine until Pascal is released. Now other than rumor and speculations isn´t really out there about when this new architecture will see the consumer market, but I´m sure we will see it between Q2 and Q3 next year, if the yield rates and HBM2 supply is good enough. Then it is likely, because it is nVidia, that we could see a new performance chip first and see the big Pascal later, but even the performance chip will be faster than a Titan X due to die shrink and new architecture.

I´m first of all waiting on Intel´s new 10core beast that will replace my 5960X, and of course I´d like to put a bunch of new Pascal GPUs in that build, but Intel confirmed already late Q2 2016 and I don´t want to put a performance chip in a high end build... well but I think next year will be exciting :).

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

I think next year will be exciting :).

I agree, although I won't go so crazy on my cpu. My 4790k works fine for youtube and the gaming I do. I'm thinking of running triple https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG279Q/ or thr 4k version if it ever his the market,so I guess I'll wait for the "enthusiasts" card to hit. Just hate the waiting game =/

Edit: to clarify only 1 of the 4k versions ( maybe a 21:9 variant ;-) )

I agree, although I won't go so crazy on my cpu. My 4790k works fine for youtube and the gaming I do. I'm thinking of running triple https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG279Q/ or thr 4k version if it ever his the market,so I guess I'll wait for the "enthusiasts" card to hit. Just hate the waiting game =/

Edit: to clarify only 1 of the 4k versions ( maybe a 21:9 variant ;-) )

Well CPU is actually a necessity in my case, because I do competitive GPU benchmarking with performance custom watercooling. And unfortunately for 3D mark physics test you need more than 4 cores. On the bright sidr I do a lot of rendering, converting and editing as well. So in my case the big Intel isn´t a waste of money hehe.

I really am excited about the next gen GPUs. It´s been so long to see a jump in size and with going from 28NM down to 16NM will be a huge improvement in terms of performance. All we need to pray is that those cards also come with good OC potential.

4K is awesome I bought the Acer HK280X with G-Sync and honestly I wouldn´t want to miss it anymore. In 4K Witcher 3 in Ultra setting is pure eye candy and even older games start to look like gems with it.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Well CPU is actually a necessity in my case, because I do competitive GPU benchmarking with performance custom watercooling. And unfortunately for 3D mark physics test you need more than 4 cores. On the bright sidr I do a lot of rendering, converting and editing as well. So in my case the big Intel isn´t a waste of money hehe.

I really am excited about the next gen GPUs. It´s been so long to see a jump in size and with going from 28NM down to 16NM will be a huge improvement in terms of performance. All we need to pray is that those cards also come with good OC potential.

4K is awesome I bought the Acer HK280X with G-Sync and honestly I wouldn´t want to miss it anymore. In 4K Witcher 3 in Ultra setting is pure eye candy and even older games start to look like gems with it.

One day I won't be a scrub, and I'll learn to overclock GPU's. I want 4k so badly but in a 21:9 format. The system I have now is my first build, first loop and first attempt at overclocking. I've always wanted to and now I have a job where I can (but shouldn't) just blow my money I want a killer rig. Any good advice on overclocking? Where to get custom BIOS and such? And I'll check out that Acer HK280X

One day I won't be a scrub, and I'll learn to overclock GPU's. I want 4k so badly but in a 21:9 format. The system I have now is my first build, first loop and first attempt at overclocking. I've always wanted to and now I have a job where I can (but shouldn't) just blow my money I want a killer rig. Any good advice on overclocking? Where to get custom BIOS and such? And I'll check out that Acer HK280X

Well for a first build you should be super proud of your PC :), it´s pretty powerful. Just give it time once infested with the hardware virus you´ll buy the stuff as it comes out hehe. Surely it isn´t always pretty being on the bleeding edge of technology an do what most other folks deem unnecessary but most of the people don´t have high end hardware to understand what that means. Just look how many people talk about 4K as if they would ever have used a 4K display themselves but instead blabber stuff they´ve heard or read in a forum without having first hand experience.

When I write something like that some folks come crawl from underneath their rocks and call me arrogant, but it is nothing but the truth... and truth always hurts. And blowing money is rather a relative statement IMHO. The reason for me to say that is, you always buy what you individually deem as what you want most if you can afford it. To have an absolut top of the line PC is something very enjoyable, it never feels like a bad thing or a burden or something I would regret.

The only thing for me is meanwhile, that hardware isn´t released fast enough for me hehe, because I love building custom, extreme builds :). But then again I have an open budget since I am blessed with a really good job myself and I understand that this kind of luxury isn´t available to most of the people.