PROBLEM WITH INTEGRATED AND DEDICATED GRAPHICS(r9 390 and i5)

ama

So guys i have a serious problem...

I have a sapphire r9 390 and a i5 6600k with an Asus pro gaming mobo.(+ 16gb ram and a 550w psu)

When i connect directly my graphics card with an hdmi to my monitor my pc boots up, but only the r9 390 shows up in the setting etc i can use only it (and only catalyst control center shows up).

When i connect my monitor through the motherboards hdmi output onyl the i5s integrated gpu will work(Intel graphics settings load etc).

And when i try to put the hdmi cable while the pc is working in  the other hdmi slot the monitor turns black!

What should i do??

So guys i have a serious problem...

I have a sapphire r9 390 and a i5 6600k with an Asus pro gaming mobo.(+ 16gb ram and a 550w psu)

When i connect directly my graphics card with an hdmi to my monitor my pc boots up, but only the r9 390 shows up in the setting etc i can use only it (and only catalyst control center shows up).

When i connect my monitor through the motherboards hdmi output onyl the i5s integrated gpu will work(Intel graphics settings load etc).

And when i try to put the hdmi cable while the pc is working in  the other hdmi slot the monitor turns black!

What should i do??

I don't understand the issue here. Is this not normal?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Boot into the BIOS with the card connected and see if the iGPU is enabled or not. If it isn't, enable it. 

Why are you trying to use both at the same time on a single monitor?

I don't understand the issue here. Is this not normal?

Well i want to use switchable graphics as on my notebook ... or why did i then bought an integrated gpu?

I always thought that the  r9 390 uses much more power when i use word chrome as the i5setc., so i wanted switchable graphics.

Well i want to use switchable graphics as on my notebook ... or why did i then bought an integrated gpu?

I always thought that the  r9 390 uses much more power when i use word chrome as the i5setc., so i wanted switchable graphics.

Why did you want switchable graphics? Switching away from the R9 390 when you aren't gaming will save you so little money it's not even worth calculating. Keep it plugged into the GPU all the time. The iGPU comes is a part of the i5 and it's only supposed to be used when you don't actually have a graphics card.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

Boot into the BIOS with the card connected and see if the iGPU is enabled or not. If it isn't, enable it. 

Why are you trying to use both at the same time on a single monitor?

so i have enabled it... aand its kinda funny... now there is a virtual desktop even though i have only 1 monitor.. and when i turned it off the pc monitor turned off, so i had to plug it into the mobo's slot...and now the r9 390 doesn't work.

Why did you want switchable graphics? Switching away from the R9 390 when you aren't gaming will save you so little money it's not even worth calculating. Keep it plugged into the GPU all the time. The iGPU comes is a part of the i5 and it's only supposed to be used when you don't actually have a graphics card.

ok well i thought that would do sense to switch them..... but after all i dont understand why it isn't working even if i wouldn't use it...

A 390 uses roughly the same power at idle as surfing, YouTude jumps the watts up a few but nothing past a light bulb.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

A 390 uses roughly the same power at idle as surfing, YouTude jumps the watts up a few but nothing past a light bulb.

ok guys thank you, i think i will just stick to my 390... however, i just don#t understand the purpose of an igpu then.... i read that even with multiple monitors it isn#t worth to du ipgu + dgpu together.... thats kinda lame

If you were worried about power usage, even though the power usage at idle would be negligible, you should have bought a GTX 970 instead.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

If you were worried about power usage, even though the power usage at idle would be negligible, you should have bought a GTX 970 instead.

:huh: What? For 40w at full load? At idle is what the discussion is on.

ok guys thank you, i think i will just stick to my 390... however, i just don#t understand the purpose of an igpu then.... i read that even with multiple monitors it isn#t worth to du ipgu + dgpu together.... thats kinda lame

The integrated chip is for those without a GPU.

The integrated GPU is for those who don't have a graphics card. It makes no sense to try to use both at once.

The integrated GPU is for those who don't have a graphics card. It makes no sense to try to use both at once.

ok i think i had a laptop to long....) THANK U ALL VERY MUCH I LOVE U! linus techtipsforum is seriously the best

:huh: What? For 40w at full load? At idle is what the discussion is on.

The integrated chip is for those without a GPU.

I should have spaced out my statement differently.

The power usage at idle would be negligible. If you were that worried about power consumption, you should have gone for a GTX 970.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

I should have spaced out my statement differently.

The power usage at idle would be negligible. If you were that worried about power consumption, you should have gone for a GTX 970.

That's just it, the funny thing is the 290 which uses 30w more than the 390 at full load, uses 20w less at idle. So load wattage and idle wattage are not connected in the least. While I save power using the 390 at full load, I lose power using the 390 at idle. I will get my hands on a 970 so as to test the living shit out of it, I bet I find similar findings and make this silly talk about efficiency obsolete.

That's just it, the funny thing is the 290 which uses 30w more than the 390 at full load, uses 20w less at idle. So load wattage and idle wattage are not connected in the least. While I save power using the 390 at full load, I lose power using the 390 at idle. I will get my hands on a 970 so as to test the living shit out of it, I bet I find similar findings and make this silly talk about efficiency obsolete.

The way OP is talking about this matter made it seem like power usage was a big deal, even at idle where power usage would be very low, regardless of the display adapter used. That's why I said if he was that worried, he should have gotten a 970.

I agree, the only time I would now recommend a GTX 970 to someone is if it was going in an SFF build.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

actually, he would prolly lose money, as AMD and Nvidias GPUs is extremely efficient at minimum clocks

The way OP is talking about this matter made it seem like power usage was a big deal, even at idle where power usage would be very low, regardless of the display adapter used. That's why I said if he was that worried, he should have gotten a 970.

I agree, the only time I would now recommend a GTX 970 to someone is if it was going in an SFF build.

at "idle" speeds, AMD and Nvidia is pretty much neck and neck.. we are talking just a few watts apart..

Worrying about the wattage used in a gaming rig is like worrying about the gas mileage of your Mustang. But if you really want to have that worry get a wattage meter, I got mine for 20 bucks. And I bet that's 3 years of running a 970 compared to a 390. IF that. And don't get me started on the difference between one monitor and two, WHICH NO ONE EVER MENTIONS WHEN THEY TALK ABOUT NVIDIA EFFICIENCY!!!

Sorry, that just drives me crazy. "I've got 3 monitors going and 15 LED fans but I won't run a AMD card, cuz efficiency."