Corsair RM vs RMx?

Keudn

What are the differences between the RM series and the RMx series? Should I get an RM series power supply and get the cablemod cables or get an RMx PSU and wait until January for the cablemod cables?

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

The RMx is nicer but that's not saying the RM is not good. The RM is also very good. I suggest you save a few dollars and get the RM if  I were you. They are both from Corsair which is a good brand to begin with. 

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

RMx is top tier quality, RM not so much but still decent just doesn't have great capacitor quality.

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

What are the differences between the RM series and the RMx series? Should I get an RM series power supply and get the cablemod cables or get an RMx PSU and wait until January for the cablemod cables?

RM is not a bad PSU but the RMx is a spectacular PSU so, if they're within a few bucks of each other the RMx is much better. If you can also check out the EVGA G2 that would be a good option.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

• 1 year later...
53 minutes ago, Pikaraptor said:

Will the modular cables for RM series work on RMx series?

The Type 4 cables of the RMx are mostly the same as the Type 3 cables of the RM with some differences.

All of the SATA and Molex doesn't have any differences with the pin-out. You can plugged them in without any worries.

The 4+4 pin ATX12V / EPS12V connectors and the 6+2 pin PEG connectors has the same pin-out in both. The difference between them is that the Type 4 cables (RMx) has capacitors on time to help with ripple suppression. Using the Type-3 cables from the RM will cause the RMx to have higher ripples but it isn't a big difference that worth worrying over (not to mentioned, I'm pretty sure Corsair Individually sleeved cables doesn't have the capacitors anyways).

Along with a capacitor, there are four extra voltage sense wires on the 24 pin to help with voltage regulation. You may  be able to used the Type 3 cables in the RMx with some little effort as shown here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12484

There is a different pin out for the 24-pin on the RM series and RMx series, the RMx series uses the Type 4 design and has capacitors in the design @Pikaraptor.
@Keudn are you still looking at our custom sleeved cable options? If so, let me know if you need help. :)

3 hours ago, CableMod said:

There is a different pin out for the 24-pin on the RM series and RMx series, the RMx series uses the Type 4 design and has capacitors in the design @Pikaraptor.
@Keudn are you still looking at our custom sleeved cable options? If so, let me know if you need help. :)

I actually got myself some red/black cables, they look fantastic :)

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

4 hours ago, Keudn said:

I actually got myself some red/black cables, they look fantastic :)

@Keudn very nice! Thank you for the support, glad you're enjoying them. :D

I have an RM850x, it's a good one, like a "lower binned" AX if you would, more designed for silent systems that aren't liikely to reach peak load often, but I use it for volt modded GPU overclocking (hell, I even got the fan to spin up while overclocking an R9 380X, god knows how much over TDP that thing was)

Yours faithfully