980 for $430 or a 970 for $300?

bpw87

As the title says a MSI 980 Gaming for $430USD or either a ASUS Strix 970 for $230 or a EVGA 970 SC for $290

I'm leaning towards the 980 as it is on sale for a really good savings. While it puts it closer to the performance to dollar as the 970 it still doesn't beat it. The MSI cooler is the best visually appealing for my own tastes.

I'm going 144hz 1080p and will be playing games like these hopefully maxed out

Fallout 4

GTA V

Metro LL

Overwatch

Shadow of Mordor

MGS V

Battlefront

What are peoples thoughts?

No I'm not buying an AMD card... I'm going back to Nvidia after having multiple AMD cards over the last few years

Get the 980 if you're going 144hz, you'll get closer to the desired performance

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

I have that EVGA 970. Just put the money into getting a better one. That one is pretty much the bottom of the barrel in terms of 'acceptable' GPUs.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

I like that little thing at the end, that's just silly. You know, since AMD outperforms in every bracket except for their top tier cards.

I'd get the 980 for that cheap.

I vote Fury!

Also, 900 posts baby! I need help

I used to be quite active here.

You're gonna regret going to Nvidia....

although to be serious, that evga 970 is pretty fucking tempting

^This. Don't hold one card over another just because of branding, OP. look at the numbers, and look at the future projections for numbers. Think about where you'll be 6 months or a year down the road. computationally, the equivalent AMD cards are far more powerful than either Nvidia card, but current software doesn't take advantage of them.

Brand loyalty is really very silly.

I like that little thing at the end, that's just silly. You know, since AMD outperforms in every bracket except for their top tier cards.

I'd get the 980 for that cheap.

I vote Fury!

Also, 900 posts baby! I need help

"when i was your age i had 4800 posts"

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

NO NO NO, You gotta preach the gospel of price-to-performance and the Evils and Not-ness of Brand Loyalty!

PREACH IT, BROTHER SAM. PREACH.

I can keep my mouth closed no further, get a R9 Fury, it also comes with a free copy of battlefront right now witch is like 70$ if you were to buy it outright.

You can say you aren't going back to AMD (and you state no good reason btw), but I'm only going to recommend AMD here because the 390 is better than the 970 at the same price, and the Fury is better than the 980.

Sorry, but I'm not going to recommend an inferior product. But in the end it's your money to spend on inferior products, so do whatever you want.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

I'm not a fanboy to either I have always had what suited my best needs and price range. The reason I want Nvidia is I'm getting a Gsync monitor and they have far better driver support lately IMO. Plus the AMD drivers seem to be coming few and far between and with their current state how long till they start cutting back even more or all together for some games. The last Nvidia card I had was a 9800 GX2 dual GPU card and From what I've seen the Maxwell series are something that interests me

Also the cheapest Fury card is over 100 more expensive then the 980

I'm not a fanboy to either I have always had what suited my best needs and price range. The reason I want Nvidia is I'm getting a Gsync monitor and they have far better driver support lately IMO. Plus the AMD drivers seem to be coming few and far between and with their current state how long till they start cutting back even more or all together for some games. The last Nvidia card I had was a 9800 GX2 dual GPU card and From what I've seen the Maxwell series are something that interests me

I understand the Gsync, but dude the misinformation you're spewing. Crimson literally just came out, the driver support Crimson brought to the table has a Fury(not X) beating a 980ti in higher resolutions in Fallout 4, which is a Gameworks game and Nvidia territory.

Wakie wakie.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Not even close to reality but ok.

I understand the Gsync, but dude the misinformation you're spewing. Crimson literally just came out, the driver support Crimson brought to the table has a Fury(not X) beating a 980ti in higher resolutions in Fallout 4, which is a Gameworks game and Nvidia territory.

Wakie wakie.

The cheapest Fury is $525 so $95 more expensive then the 980 I brought. I literally used all the spare money I could to step up to the 980, there is no way I would have been able to buy one even if I wanted. I'm actually in Australia so the $95usd is more like $135aud and I'm already paying $620aud including shipping. The way I look at it the price of me importing a 980 from the states works out about $80aud dearer then a mid range 970 is worth here.

I haven't seen anything on the crimson drivers and I will go have a look. 

I know I have had plenty of first hand issues with AMD drivers. My last card was a 270X, while I know it's an average card I was between work and it was on special and the best thing in my budget. But when I have trouble running some games that friends with 650 and 550 weren't I was a little annoyed as they have lower specs all round. Also don't get me started on crossfire. I picked up another cheap 270X later on for a bit more performance but the issues I was having on a lot of games with it not working at all or running worse was crazy, I ended up pulling the second card out.

Don't get me wrong I like AMD and I hope they pull through the hard times. People that want a budget system I always recommend AMD, probably 90% of the systems I have built are AMD powered APU, CPU and GPU. Right now I want something different and the 980 is it.

The cheapest Fury is $525 so $95 more expensive then the 980 I brought. I literally used all the spare money I could to step up to the 980, there is no way I would have been able to buy one even if I wanted. I'm actually in Australia so the $95usd is more like $135aud and I'm already paying $620aud including shipping. The way I look at it the price of me importing a 980 from the states works out about $80aud dearer then a mid range 970 is worth here.

I haven't seen anything on the crimson drivers and I will go have a look.

I know I have had plenty of first hand issues with AMD drivers. My last card was a 270X, while I know it's an average card I was between work and it was on special and the best thing in my budget. But when I have trouble running some games that friends with 650 and 550 weren't I was a little annoyed as they have lower specs all round. Also don't get me started on crossfire. I picked up another cheap 270X later on for a bit more performance but the issues I was having on a lot of games with it not working at all or running worse was crazy, I ended up pulling the second card out.

Don't get me wrong I like AMD and I hope they pull through the hard times. People that want a budget system I always recommend AMD, probably 90% of the systems I have built are AMD powered APU, CPU and GPU. Right now I want something different and the 980 is it.

I'm not trying to get you to buy AMD, waste your money how you see fit. I'm calling you out on your fanboy bull shit. You just said the Fury is more expensive, yet AMD is for a budget system. That's called being passive aggressive. Cut it out.

I'm not trying to get you to buy AMD, waste your money how you see fit. I'm calling you out on your fanboy bull shit. You just said the Fury is more expensive, yet AMD is for a budget system. That's called being passive aggressive. Cut it out.

What? Clearly you have the issue here.

All I said is I don't want an AMD card. Simply because I have had two threads in the last couple of days hi-jacked buy people telling me not to go Nvidia and to go AMD. You might think I'm a fan boy but in reality if I'm one so are you because you are being as one sided.

Do you realize the Fury for me once delivered is $751aud and the 980 was only $616, the normal list price on that card here is about $770. If I was looking at an AMD card the max my budget would have allowed for is a 390X. I spent every dollar I could put together to go for a higher tier card and the 980 was the best card around my price range.

Some of the thing that worry me about Fury is if it had coin whine because that's a thing or some other reason I needed to RMA it I'd have to ship to the US out of my own pocket. Yes, I know it's the same deal with the 980 but I've seen a lot less on people RMA Maxwell over the Fiji.

AMD is buy far the best for budget builds, I can get an alright preforming 4 core or more AMD CPU or APU with a motherboard for less then I can buy an Intel 4 core CPU. I build a lot of systems for my brothers friends who are either in high school or have just left. They don't have money for an Intel system so I'll recommend AMD every time because AMD have better budget parts but that doesn't mean they can't have high end parts as well. It just means I can't afford them.

I think we have a miscommunication happening, and the fault looks to be mine. As far as CPUs are concerned you're correct, AMD is for a budget build. GPU wise it's a different story. I wouldn't suggest a Fury to anyone, I'd get a 980. More stable. But the 300 series flat out spanks their Nvidia counterparts. So I myself can be a little jumpy because I see people new to the hobby getting bad advice from fans, of both brands.

If I spotted the miscommunication correctly I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

I think we have a miscommunication happening, and the fault looks to be mine. As far as CPUs are concerned you're correct, AMD is for a budget build. GPU wise it's a different story. I wouldn't suggest a Fury to anyone, I'd get a 980. More stable. But the 300 series flat out spanks their Nvidia counterparts. So I myself can be a little jumpy because I see people new to the hobby getting bad advice from fans, of both brands.

If I spotted the miscommunication correctly I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

Yeah thanks I can see the confusion looking back and I'm also sorry for being an ass. I'm just tired of people telling me what to get, calling me an idiot and a fanboy.

Yeah thanks I can see the confusion looking back and I'm also sorry for being an ass. I'm just tired of people telling me what to get, calling me an idiot and a fanboy.

Not dive too off topic but I feel your pain. I'm not loyal to AMD in the least, I'm a bit of a Sapphire fanboy, OK, I'm totally a Sapphire fanboy but it has nothing to do with AMD. Sapphire make good shit. If Sapphire made a 970 I'd be first in line to buy one. I want to design software that allows you to hot swap between two different GPUs so you can use the one most suited to the game you're playing .

I'd honestly get the 980, I don't think it deserves the hate it gets. So what the 980ti beats it, it should. The 980 still gives you headroom over the 970. Is it worth 130 bucks, time will tell. But if it is and you have a 970 you can't go back and it's just money.