Checking Compatibility of Components

Go to solution Solved by Jykos,

I'm going to use the 9590 because it's specifications show it's fast and powerful, reviews and ratings are very much in favour of it, and it seems not too expensive for what it is.

Is there a reason why it's not as good a choice as it's portrayed as?

single core performance is very poor. A quad core i5 will perform much greater in almost all workloads (including multi threaded rendering). This is because the platform and processor are out dated and don't contain more modern-advanced tech. The philosophy at the time they were released was to cram more cores in however this was because they couldn't make faster individual cores at the time. The reason it's cheap now is because of this.

I am building a computer from mostly new components, and want to be sure if there could be any compatibility issues, severe bottlenecking, likely overheating, or other problems I could encounter.

These are the parts I'm going to use, with links to websites which have statistics and further information on them:

>AMD FX-9590 Black Edition Octa Core CPU - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DGGW3MI/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

>Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Motherboard - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crosshair-Formula-Z-Motherboard-PCI-Express-SupremeFX/dp/B008RPZ3RA/ref=pd_bxgy_147_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1MAAZ29FGX9WHYR7HD32

>Corsair CW-9060009-WW Hydro Series H100i 240 mm - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CW-9060009-WW-Series-Extreme-Performance/dp/B009ZN2NH6/ref=pd_bxgy_147_img_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=11JWCWWNWPM4CCV0WCCH

>HyperX FURY Series 16GB - http://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-FURY-1866MHz-Memory-Module/dp/B00J8E8Y5C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448483818&sr=8-1&keywords=16+gb+ram

>Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB 3.5 inch Hard Drive - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST1000DM003-Barracuda-inch-Drive/dp/B006BRBSE8

>GeForce GTX 970 Graphics Card http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GTX-970-Graphics-Card/dp/B00NZT6D68

I am unsure of what power supply to use. I was recommended a 750W one, however I am concerned that with the 220W processor (and all other components and peripherals), this may not be enough.

Also, I have very little experience of network cards (I'm looking for something like a single ethernet one), the price range from as low as £6.00 to over £100 confuses me, so some advice on this would be very helpful.

If this helps, I am planning to install Windows 10 as the operating system.

If I have missed any information out which could help, please ask, as I will check back on this post regularly.

Thanks!

Is there a reason why you're going with a 9590?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Due to wide spread standards, the only compatibility that you'll ever have to worry about (unless your using server boards or something) is, does the CPU fit in the motherboard. Everything else will just work together.

As for your CPU choice, I suggest doing some research on FX possessors. (make sure what you read isn't from two or more years ago)

"Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." Richard Fynman

Due to wide spread standards, the only compatibility that you'll ever have to worry about (unless your using server boards or something) is, does the CPU fit in the motherboard. Everything else will just work together.

As for your CPU choice, I suggest doing some research on FX possessors. (make sure what you read isn't from two or more years ago)

Is there a reason why you're going with a 9590?

I'm going to use the 9590 because it's specifications show it's fast and powerful, reviews and ratings are very much in favour of it, and it seems not too expensive for what it is.

single core performance is very poor. A quad core i5 will perform much greater in almost all workloads (including multi threaded rendering). This is because the platform and processor are out dated and don't contain more modern-advanced tech. The philosophy at the time they were released was to cram more cores in however this was because they couldn't make faster individual cores at the time. The reason it's cheap now is because of this.

"Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." Richard Fynman

I have a compatibility guide in my sig you can use.

9590s are a bad idea, they will overheat quite easily, overpowering some AIOs and air coolers even, not to mention that it (unfortunately) is the best processor you can put in AMD's best socket anyways, so you have ZERO upgrade path (or at least until Zen comes out, hopefully).

A locked i5 and an H-series board, will be about as or more powerful, run much cooler, and you can upgrade to an i7 or Xeon later.

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

The processor was released only two years ago, so surely it's not outdated already? (I realise there will be better processors now with more modern technologies, but that doesn't mean the 9590 is any worse than how it was when released (unless this isn't true???), which reviews say were very good for the time). Therefore I don't see how (other than using lots of power and producing lots of heat) it isn't as good as it seems - do these newer technologies inhibit the 9590 from behaving how it would have done two years ago?

I'm going to use the 9590 because it's specifications show it's fast and powerful.

If you're referring to the amount of cache is has, the frequency, and the number of cores present....They mean nothing if the architecture is poor. In Anandtech's review, it does an okay job, but most of the time, it's bested by Intel's similarly priced offerings while also having lower power draw and having overclocking headroom to improve performance. http://www.anandtech.com/show/8316/amds-5-ghz-turbo-cpu-in-retail-the-fx9590-and-asrock-990fx-extreme9-review

So even if the 9590 happens to perform better in certain scenarios(and it definitely can), Intel's offerings can still overclock to gain additional performance while the 9590 is already at its peak frequency.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

If you're referring to the amount of cache is has, the frequency, and the number of cores present....They mean nothing if the architecture is poor. In Anandtech's review, it does an okay job, but most of the time, it's bested by Intel's similarly priced offerings while also having lower power draw and having overclocking headroom to improve performance. http://www.anandtech.com/show/8316/amds-5-ghz-turbo-cpu-in-retail-the-fx9590-and-asrock-990fx-extreme9-review

So even if the 9590 happens to perform better in certain scenarios(and it definitely can), Intel's offerings can still overclock to gain additional performance while the 9590 is already at its peak frequency.

How can you tell which AMD CPUs are overclockable, and is the 9590? Does chipset matter like intel's Z and X series boards?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

How can you tell which AMD CPUs are overclockable, and is the 9590? Does chipset matter like intel's Z and X series boards?

All of AMD's FX CPUs and APUs have unlocked multipliers. Anything to do with Phenom or Athlon must be the Black Edition though I don't recall any Athlon CPUs being Black Edition. I don't think the chipset matters, but I'd make sure to check before purchasing a board.

I've decided not to go with the 9590, and am thinking even of buying a pre-built PC, as they are cheaper and generally have lower power consumption and overheating risk.

Thanks everyone for helping with my decision.

I've found some gaming PCs for sale with an i7-4790k CPU. Does the i7-4790k have a 'good architecture', or will they have the same problem as the 9590, in that though the statistics seem good, actual performance isn't so great?

EDIT: I meant to put i7-4790k rather than i7-4790.

I've decided not to go with the 9590, and am thinking even of buying a pre-built PC, as they are cheaper and generally have lower power consumption and overheating risk.

Thanks everyone for helping with my decision.

I've found some gaming PCs for sale with an i7-4790 CPU. Does the i7-4790 have a 'good architecture', or will they have the same problem as the 9590, in that though the statistics seem good, actual performance isn't so great?

The 4790 has a great architecture. Can you post the pre-built machine you wish to purchase?

The 4790 has a great architecture. Can you post the pre-built machine you wish to purchase?

I meant to say the i7-4790k, not i7-4790.

This is one I'm thinking of getting, but I'm nowhere near deciding yet:

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/zoostorm-core-i7-4790-16gb-2tb-dvd-rw-windows-10-desktop-7280-5149/version.asp?refsource=LDadwords&crtag=LD&gclid=Cj0KEQiAm-CyBRDx65nBhcmVtbIBEiQA7zm8lVvqUNczPlKrKi0TD9akjhEY-CrPsoq5AE8W_SxJuecaAgqc8P8HAQ