R9 290 black screen issue.

big_dane

Hey guys, ever since I build my PC a couple of months ago I have the following problem : I use my pc normally and then out of nowhere my screen goes black and the only fix is restarting my PC. From what I've read online I've come to the conclusion that the cables feeding my 290 can't handle it (one 6 pin and one 6+2 pin). Anyone else have the same issue and how did you fix it ? 

My old 290x's had this issue when they overheated. (over 80+ for extended periods of time)... what kind of load are you putting on them?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

It happens all the time, even when I'm only browsing. It goes out even at 43-44 degrees Celsius. I haven't managed to get it above 75 yet.

Hey guys, ever since I build my PC a couple of months ago I have the following problem : I use my pc normally and then out of nowhere my screen goes black and the only fix is restarting my PC. From what I've read online I've come to the conclusion that the cables feeding my 290 can't handle it (one 6 pin and one 6+2 pin). Anyone else have the same issue and how did you fix it ? 

What're your system specs? I had this problem once because I ran my 290 off an 8 year old Antec power supply. The card was also ruined so I RMA'ed it after I got a new power supply and it hasn't happened since.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

What're your system specs? I had this problem once because I ran my 290 off an 8 year old Antec power supply. The card was also ruined so I RMA'ed it after I got a new power supply and it hasn't happened since.

I7 4790k

MSI Z97 PC Mate

G.Skill Ares 16GB 2400mhz

PowerColor R9 290 PCS+

Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

be quiet! Pure Power L8 600 Watt

I7 4790k

MSI Z97 PC Mate

G.Skill Ares 16GB 2400mhz

PowerColor R9 290 PCS+

Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

be quiet! Pure Power L8 600 Watt

Might be a bad card, try updating to the crimson drivers. If that doesn't fix it, contact PowerColor and RMA it.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky