Grinding Noise in my PC?

Lavish

I have been hearing grinding noises in my pc for some time now, I have ruled out my radiator [kraken x61] because it was happening before it was installed. When I turn it off and reboot it stops, could it be a casefan?

Intel i5 4690k | NZXT Kraken x61 | MSI z97 Gaming 5 | MSI GTX 970 EVGA Supernova G2 750 G-Skill Ripjaws 16GB 2133mhz [2x8] | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB SSD NZXT H440 [black and Red]

Saving for a Dream rig :)

Check your mechanical drive. Could be time to RIP

Either your hard drive has a problem or its just a fan hitting cables. These are the most common cases(EDIT: Pun not intended), you need to check it out.

Specs: i7-4790k with Thermaltake Water 3.0, EVGA GTX 970, MSI Z97 Gaming 3, Kingston HyperX 2x8 DDR3 1600Mhz, SSD Boot Drive/1TB HD, CM Storm Stryker, EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Peripherals: SS Rival, HyperX Cloud, G710+

DOes it happen when running games? It could be coil whine. 

Possibly. Stop each fan manually.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Do you have a seagate drive? i know mine grinds quite a bit. all of the ones I own do.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

That was the case with mine, I left it in there... it is still in there. Should come in hand if we get robbed cause no one will touch my computer with a 10 foot poll unless your someone on this forum who knows what's inside :P

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Just build my system 3 months ago :P

DOes it happen when running games? It could be coil whine. 

No, just on boot

Do you have a seagate drive? i know mine grinds quite a bit. all of the ones I own do.

Its a WD Blue, specs are in my sig

Hows your cable management? I had a similar problem once where, a loose cable was hitting the case fan when the side panel was on.

I thought it was pretty good, and I didnt see any cables hitting anything

Intel i5 4690k | NZXT Kraken x61 | MSI z97 Gaming 5 | MSI GTX 970 EVGA Supernova G2 750 G-Skill Ripjaws 16GB 2133mhz [2x8] | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB SSD NZXT H440 [black and Red]

Just build my system 3 months ago :P

...doesn't hurt to check

I have been hearing grinding noises in my pc for some time now, I have ruled out my radiator [kraken x61] because it was happening before it was installed. When I turn it off and reboot it stops, could it be a casefan?

It is likely to be one of two things:

Harddrive. This would be bad.

Fan bearing is loose or misaligned. This isn't as bad

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Just means its hard at work.

Getting the grind on.....  :P  :ph34r:

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

No, just on boot

Its a WD Blue, specs are in my sig

Oh then that's fine. It happens to me as well (I have 1tb blue). If it was happening all the time then it'd be a problem. I think it's just starting up and all that goodness.

You'd be far better off just pinpointing the issue rather than letting a forum full of people randomly guess at it. 

Step 1:  Shut down the machine, unplug power from the HDD, restart machine running only on SSD, see if noise is still there.  If not, you just found the problem, it it is, then its a fan.

Step 2:  Unlug all case fans see if noise stops.  If not unplug CPU fan momentairly.  If noise is still there with all case / cpu fans and HDD disconnected about the only thing left is the GPU fans.  At that point plug everything else back in and pull the GPU, boot with integrated video.

Its easy to narrow it down and see for yourself where the noise is coming from.

Do you have a motherboard that has a fan on a heatsink?  It could be that; I was just reminded of an old machine I have that still runs, but it makes this grinding noise and after a lot of poking around I realized it was a tiny fan on a heatsink on the motherboard.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

You'd be far better off just pinpointing the issue rather than letting a forum full of people randomly guess at it. 

Step 1:  Shut down the machine, unplug power from the HDD, restart machine running only on SSD, see if noise is still there.  If not, you just found the problem, it it is, then its a fan.

Step 2:  Unlug all case fans see if noise stops.  If not unplug CPU fan momentairly.  If noise is still there with all case / cpu fans and HDD disconnected about the only thing left is the GPU fans.  At that point plug everything else back in and pull the GPU, boot with integrated video.

Its easy to narrow it down and see for yourself where the noise is coming from.

Yeah, I found it, its the front fan on my case, the top fan on the nzxt h440. Its the very top fan on the front, I cant seem to find out whats wrong with them, but im planning on replacing them with noctuas anyway since I cant see them :)

Unbalanced fans? Mine are starting to do that upon boot, but it subsides after a minute or so. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580