Can I put an HDD on a portable workstation?

yrjosmiel73

If the thing is turned on, and I moved while the hard disk is spinning, would it damage the HDD?

This empty space is sure awkward^

If the thing is turned on, and I moved while the hard disk is spinning, would it damage the HDD?

What do you mean by a portable workstation?

Sig under construction.

A portable workstation is like a desktop, but can be moved around easily compared to a stationary desktop.

mpc2900-rightView.jpg

Something like this^

No, my design is not this.

A portable workstation is like a desktop, but can be moved around easily compared to a stationary desktop.

Something like this^

still looks better than an alienware pc. Anyways, laptop drives have survived my abuse for 4 years, you should be mint.

Something like this^

I've never heard of lug gables like these in use for anything other than disaster response and such. O.o  So, you say 'Not my design' so this is something you are designing?  For what purpose?  I would however strongly suggest SSDs if ruggedness is a desired trait.

So desktop parts powered by some kind of battery?  I can't imagine you building something that could last more than 10-15mins on a battery before the high draw of the desktop parts sapped the battery.

still looks better than an alienware pc. Anyways, laptop drives have survived my abuse for 4 years, you should be mint.

as long as its wd

and not seagate!

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I've never heard of lug gables like these in use for anything other than disaster response and such. O.o So, you say 'Not my design' so this is something you are designing? For what purpose? I would however strongly suggest SSDs if ruggedness is a desired trait.

So desktop parts powered by some kind of battery? I can't imagine you building something that could last more than 10-15mins on a battery before the high draw of the desktop parts sapped the battery.

Well, I plan to combine the performance and cost of a desktop, and the portability of a laptop.
For the power? It'll still be powered with a power supply. It's not the most portable thing.

So from your replies, I assume that an SSHD will survive, too. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, I plan to combine the performance and cost of a desktop, and the portability of a laptop.

For the power? It'll still be powered with a power supply. It's not the most portable thing.

So, no battery?  How much is it really going to move while powered on if it's tethered to an electrical outlet?

I feel that your question would be answered a lot easier if you were more forthcoming with information.

So, no battery?  How much is it really going to move while powered on if it's tethered to an electrical outlet?

I feel that your question would be answered a lot easier if you were more forthcoming with information.

Well, you can have excess cord sometimes, right? At least I know now that I won't kill my build when I move 2 meters because the librarian is going to place a ton of books on where I was supposedly.

Well, you can have excess cord sometimes, right? At least I know now that I won't kill my build when I move 2 meters because the librarian is going to place a ton of books on where I was supposedly.

You're going to build a giant, heavy, luggable desktop PC, so you can use it at the library...?

So from your replies, I assume that an SSHD will survive, too. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes it will survive, too, as long as you don't shake the workstation too much while it's in use.

But is there a reason why you can't just throw in a 256/512GB SSD in it? Or do you simply need the raw storage?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

You're going to build a giant, heavy, luggable desktop PC, so you can use it at the library...?

Well, sometimes I go to academic competitions and I need to pass my time. I can perhaps add a backup battery that will run for 10-20 minutes.