First post, you get to lol at my 83c FX-8320

itsmeee

I recently upgraded to a GTX 680 (I'm behind the times a bit) and got excited about gaming again so I decided why not do some overclocking and see what I can do.  Thankfully I decided to do a little baseline without any oc to see how my system was doing.  Not good was the answer (see below).

As another fun tidbit this same computer caught on fire, was thrown out a window, hosed down and left outside for a while https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/1kh84j/my_desktop_almost_burnt_my_house_down/  I think all I replaced since then was the PSU, case and GPU (unrelated though).  Ram still has scorch marks, I don't think I even removed the heatsink from the cpu.  Reliable system other then the occasional fire.

BHENxtd.jpg

edit: oh forgot to mention, the CPU got up to 83c before I decided to shut the test down.  It seemed to be throttling at that point anyway.  Also for those that are crying for my poor CPU, don't fear I have a Phantek PH-TC14PE on the way.

In the screenshot, the CPU is running at 79C. Not 83C.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

uh...
the max temp for the 8320 is 62C...

you're seriously reducing its life span by doing this

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Don't trust the temperature reading-AMD stopped including a sensor inside their CPU after the Phenom II, the sensor is in the socket and highly inaccurate.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

uh...

Look at the CPU usage and clock speed in Task Manager. It seems to be throttling.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

In the screenshot, the CPU is running at 79C. Not 83C.

See my edit.  My SS was shortly before I stopped the test.  I did a quick google, lol'd and stopped the test.

uh...

See my edit, I have a Phantek PH-TC14PE which seems like it should help.  I'm definitely not letting this keep on.

Don't trust the temperature reading-AMD stopped including a sensor inside their CPU after the Phenom II, the sensor is in the socket and highly inaccurate.

I'm going to err on the side of safety.  I already have a new cooler ordered.  On the plus side this CPU is pretty badass.

I'm going to err on the side of safety. I already have a new cooler ordered. On the plus side this CPU is pretty old.

Ftfy

Thanks for the lol.

Why did your computer catch fire? Shit board?

*secretly hopes it catches fire again*

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

I'm going to err on the side of safety.  I already have a new cooler ordered.  On the plus side this CPU is pretty badass.

Only if a program can make use of all threads....otherwise an older Phenom II will kick its ass.

PMSL

See my edit, I have a Phantek PH-TC14PE which seems like it should help.  I'm definitely not letting this keep on.

Sweet! Loved mine, kept my 8350 cool with some pretty decent overclocks :)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

I recently upgraded to a GTX 680 (I'm behind the times a bit) and got excited about gaming again so I decided why not do some overclocking and see what I can do.  Thankfully I decided to do a little baseline without any oc to see how my system was doing.  Not good was the answer (see below).

As another fun tidbit this same computer caught on fire, was thrown out a window, hosed down and left outside for a while https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/1kh84j/my_desktop_almost_burnt_my_house_down/  I think all I replaced since then was the PSU, case and GPU (unrelated though).  Ram still has scorch marks, I don't think I even removed the heatsink from the cpu.  Reliable system other then the occasional fire.

BHENxtd.jpg

edit: oh forgot to mention, the CPU got up to 83c before I decided to shut the test down.  It seemed to be throttling at that point anyway.  Also for those that are crying for my poor CPU, don't fear I have a Phantek PH-TC14PE on the way.

I love a good 680, never get rid of it man.

500 Posts achieved 29/4/16 9:13PM

i7 980x Power! BeamnDrivionothbesgameComicSans

“I was the rebellious one.” - Maxene Andrews

Damn that's a nice hair flick 1981 Simon LeBon!

"Nothing gets you going like a juicy pussy!" - ashens

"what sorry blender isn't that what you make smoothe?" - pathole

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

"We won world war 2 for a reason" - ironic shitposting is still shitposting

"Fight shooting game with pretty girls" - megami strike 1943

"You've got wood in an evo" - moog

"oxygofishafacematerialsotosis" - linus

"Vehicle stimulator" - crappy russian mod site

"The power table" - Nerdcubed

"Nuclear spaghetti" - ashens

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

Ftfy

Thanks for the lol.

Why did your computer catch fire? Shit board?

*secretly hopes it catches fire again*

lol, yeah I bought it in dec 2012 which I think was right after it was released.  I also stream plex out of it and it seems like I found the one great use case for an FX.  I seem to be able to game while a few people are streaming without issues.

Newegg had an investigation performed and it was one of their molex -> sata adapters (whatever their house brand is called) that seemed to be where the fire started.  They were amazing and cut a check for it to be tested by a 3rd party and replaced what needed replacing.  I have a PSU with enough SATA power cables for all my drives and I'm actually currently in the process of pairing 4 drives out of my pool.  

Only if a program can make use of all threads....otherwise an older Phenom II will kick its ass.

Plex + gaming seems like the one use case that gives an FX an advantage.  In retrospect I definitely should have just gone with a i5 at the time.  I think the 2500k (forgive my intel ignorance I've been out of gaming for a while) was going to be like $40-60 more for my build but what it really came down to was I felt loyalty to AMD for all the great memories of unlocking Durons with pencils, Athlon XP's etc...  I really hope they can get their shit together.

Sweet! Loved mine, kept my 8350 cool with some pretty decent overclocks :)

Awesome news.  I'm really crossing my fingers that it'll fit in my R4.  The web seems to think it can, so fingers crossed.

Don't use toothpaste for TIM ?

Yeah, next time I won't screw up.  I'm going Nutella all the way!

I love a good 680, never get rid of it man.

Yeah, so far it seems amazing.  In my system I can max out Fallout 4, Battlefield 4 and everything else I've thrown at it (solitaire, chrome, twitter... ok I don't game that much atm).  I think it'll last me for a bit.  In a year or so I hope to do a complete rebuild, but I'll probably keep this one sitting around as a dedicated plex server. 

A little followup to this.  As I mentioned a friend recommended a beast of a CPU cooler which I instantly bought.  This thing is crazy huge.

post-210328-0-05746100-1448499777.jpg

Thinkpad for scale

post-210328-0-02448800-1448499778_thumb.

My rockstar CPU that never gave up after a fire, being hosed down and cooked for god knows how long.  

post-210328-0-47075100-1448499777.jpg

This is WAAAAAY better.  It's somehow sitting steady at 37c after about 17 minutes of Prime95.  I'm not even sure how that's possible.  

post-210328-0-82680800-1448499779_thumb.

A little followup to this.  As I mentioned a friend recommended a beast of a CPU cooler which I instantly bought.  This thing is crazy huge.

attachicon.gif12247131_10153564184746281_2226848285691150378_n.jpg

Thinkpad for scale

attachicon.gif12311137_10153564188016281_4269281333892763761_n.jpg

My rockstar CPU that never gave up after a fire, being hosed down and cooked for god knows how long.  

attachicon.gif12308673_10153564437766281_7800164165658326763_n.jpg

This is WAAAAAY better.  It's somehow sitting steady at 37c after about 17 minutes of Prime95.  I'm not even sure how that's possible.  

attachicon.gifwaybetter.png

Crap temperature sensor that isn't build into the CPU.

PMSL

Crap temperature sensor that isn't build into the CPU.

That does make sense, do you think it was actually running that hot then?

Also the CPU was throttling, I assume that was the CPU itself and not based on the temp sensor, is that right or would it be getting its data from that sensor as well?

That does make sense, do you think it was actually running that hot then?

Also the CPU was throttling, I assume that was the CPU itself and not based on the temp sensor, is that right or would it be getting its data from that sensor as well?

Possibly.

PMSL