Thoughts on Next Gen Battle Between NVIDIA and AMD?

Flare

so who will have the lions share in upcoming hbm battle between the two giants? will the green flag continue to rise? or will it be the perfect opportunity to bounce back for the reds??

also, how the current gen of GDDR5 muscles from both the company will stack up against?

(edit: sorry for the pole option. it will be amd greenland. thanks to the people who pointed this out)  :)

I'm going to say Greenland on this one.  In my opinion Nvidia is too cocky at the top and AMD's been slacking in preparation for Greenland.

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

Mods pls lock. This will only go downhill.

Definitely. Incoming flamewar.

Mods pls lock. This will only go downhill.

if your attitude is like this. then yes.

personally, i think AMD might have the edge in this generation due to their experience with HBM and the fact they was part of the original developers of the technology....

personally, i think AMD might have the edge in this generation due to their experience with HBM and the fact they was part of the original developers of the technology....

We cannot know that yet imo, but I really hope that AMD does well with the next-gen GPUs. For the sake of competition on the market and against Nvidia's monopoly

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

In my mind, if ATi can pull off Arctic Islands with an architecture that can really kick ass in the realm of asynchronous compute engines, then Nvidia is going to have some work to do, because Maxwell GPUs do not perform very well when given everything in parallel. Beyond 36(...?) threads they start tanking. That's where they succeed in DX11 but where ATi seems to be absolutely screaming in DX12, even with GCN 1.1 Hawaii GPUs.

And yeah, I know they're still owned by AMD and I know that the new graphics division split-off is called Radeon, but I want ATi back so bad... it's so much cooler-sounding a name than AMD.

in any case, even if Pascal isn't powerful enough to take advantage of the APIs coming out, they'll pull every marketing tactic to get fanboys convinced that things like PhysX and Shadowplay are Gospel, and that ATi is of the devil.

I voted Pascal, because Fiji is in the Fury X and is already struggling. However I think that Greenland will be faster than Pascal, given that they will actually compete with each other.

Nvidia has more monies = get better engineers = they make faster GPUs = amd is on a spiral of doom

Pit an R9 290X against a 980Ti in a straight-up math compute drag race, no holds barred.

Hawaii XT is still a computational monster, and Nvidia has nothing yet that can pull 8.6 TFLOPs like the Fiji XT cards. Only reason Nvidia has dominated the gaming performance market is because they do well in more serial workloads.

Wait for the new APIs to arrive.

915532.jpg

THREAD EJECTION THRUSTERS ACTIVATE

AMD's next-gen architecture is Greenland not Fiji.

sorry for the mistake... has been edited. thank you for pointing it out!!  :)

I voted Pascal, because Fiji is in the Fury X and is already struggling. However I think that Greenland will be faster than Pascal, given that they will actually compete with each other.

my pole was for greenland actually... sorry for the initial mistake.

Pit an R9 290X against a 980Ti in a straight-up math compute drag race, no holds barred.

Hawaii XT is still a computational monster, and Nvidia has nothing yet that can pull 8.6 TFLOPs like the Fiji XT cards. Only reason Nvidia has dominated the gaming performance market is because they do well in more serial workloads.

Wait for the new APIs to arrive.

yeah... a 290X has the same compute performance of a 980Ti....

enter double precision and no maxwell based card, not even a top line Quadro would beat a 290 reference GPU in double precision.

Start a topic like this and all the fanboys come out of the woodwork.

give 'em a break!?  :P

If you've ever watched a thread on this forum about AMD and Nvidia you know what happens.

If you've ever watched a thread on this forum about AMD and Nvidia you know what happens.

actually, there was this one exception. where everyone spent 25 pages discussing things nicely....

there was another 10 pages in that thread of people being awestruck by seeing a civil discussion going on

yeah... a 290X has the same compute performance of a 980Ti....

enter double precision and no maxwell based card, not even a top line Quadro would beat a 290 reference GPU in double precision.

Even Kepler Quadros scream at double precision compared to Maxwells. Maxwell has been kinda... disappointing overall.

Good for games at the high end, but... mostly not very competitive.

actually, there was this one exception. where everyone spent 25 pages discussing things nicely....

there was another 10 pages in that thread of people being awestruck by seeing a civil discussion going on

Kinda like what happens when someone brings up religion on the forum. Most of the time they're shitpost threads that last five minutes before turning into a flame war. Sometimes they get shut down instantly because they're too preachy. But on rare occasion we do get a thread where everyone has a nice, civil discussion about belief systems and stuff, and I get to address misconceptions people have. It's really cool when that happens. Rare, but cool. The planets have to be in freaking alignment for that to happen though.

But, back to silicon-based microarchitectures centered around making massive arrays of pixels change colour very quickly :D

Kinda like what happens when someone brings up religion on the forum. Most of the time they're shitpost threads that last five minutes before turning into a flame war. Sometimes they get shut down instantly because they're too preachy. But on rare occasion we do get a thread where everyone has a nice, civil discussion about belief systems and stuff, and I get to address misconceptions people have. It's really cool when that happens. Rare, but cool. The planets have to be in freaking alignment for that to happen though.

But, back to silicon-based microarchitectures centered around making massive arrays of pixels change colour very quickly :D

color*