Getting Into E-Sports

GeekJump

Simple question, how do I get into E-sports? I don't mean getting into pro gaming I mean how to watch and get into viewing it?

I know major teams like Cloud 9 and NiP but going any deeper like names, seasons, leagues, etc. is all a jumbled mess to me.

Is there like a "E-Sports for Dummies"?

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

It'll come automatically. If you watch a lot you'll easily remember the names of all the players.

extra tip: I assume you're talking about CS:GO. There's like a 24/7 broadcast running Twitch from ESL_CSGO. They do reruns all day long and a live game every now and then.

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Pick the game you want to watch and just go to its (eSports) wiki and watch a whole lot of streams and you will start to understand it.

I was able to pick up on CoD competitive, Smash Melee and Smash 4 competitive like this.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Pick the game you want to watch and just go to its (eSports) wiki and watch a whole lot of streams and you will start to understand it.

I was able to pick up on CoD competitive, Smash Melee and Smash 4 competitive like this.

I understand the gaming part of it, just not all the teams and season stuff. What would be a good overall site to check? Do you mean if I want to look at pro CSGO or COD info there is an official wiki for it? I've tried looking up random players or teams but some sites have barely any info.

Plus there's the whole betting part of it and I feel there is a new betting platform every week xD

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

It just depends on what you want to watch, most esport events and leagues are streamed on twitch so just find out what time the league for whatever esport you want to watch starts then there you go. Not sure about CSGO but I know Comp CoD starts at like 5pmCST during league season (which is not currently going on right now). 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

I understand the gaming part of it, just not all the teams and season stuff. What would be a good overall site to check? Do you mean if I want to look at pro CSGO or COD info there is an official wiki for it? I've tried looking up random players or teams but some sites have barely any info.

Plus there's the whole betting part of it and I feel there is a new betting platform every week xD

I'm not into CSGO so dont know a site for it. But for CoD I used to use this: http://cod.esportspedia.com/wiki/CODpedia not sure if it is any good.

You can find a whole lot of tournaments there and its rules and stuff.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

just subscribe to the good channels who streams games !! like for dota you can use joindota and bts !

Thats how I learn all games I follow.

Biggest news site for CSGO is HLTV.org. They will have listings of upcoming tournaments. Pick next, check how groups are, watch some streams and you are getting good start. Casters are really professional nowdays and will tell background stuff while doing play-by-play.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Assuming you want CS. Start off trying to to get into a team. Then scrim on ESEA or Faceit then try go to a tournament

Do you play football/soccer?

Cause you look like a left-back

Try CSGOVods on youtube and keep up with matches/tournaments on HLTV I guess.

I am assuming you're talking about CSGO though as C9/NIP are arguably the two fan favourite teams in CSGO esports.

Thats how I learn all games I follow.

Biggest news site for CSGO is HLTV.org. They will have listings of upcoming tournaments. Pick next, check how groups are, watch some streams and you are getting good start. Casters are really professional nowdays and will tell background stuff while doing play-by-play.

Yea I remember I tried to get into it awhile ago and the announcers were kind of awkward. Listened during on of the csgo tournaments recently and felt I was watching a boxing match xD (only knew about the stream that time cause it was broadcast thru CSGO while I was playing)

• 4 weeks later...

You really just have to jump in with both feet. Find a team that you like, and follow them. 

Eventually you will pick up on who's who in your game of choice.