Facebook Can Legally Block Pages Without Any Explanation

For many users, Facebook feels like a utility. Facebook users use Facebook to create new things and expect it to work reliably; users don’t expect Facebook will terminate them capriciously. Thus, when Facebook blocks users’ content, it can be shocking to users. The power company can’t just turn off a customer’s power. Does Facebook get to play by different rules?

Yes, it does. Facebook’s right to block user content is protected under multiple legal doctrines, including the First Amendment, federal law and its contract. Not surprisingly, then, a federal judge recently upheld Facebook’s right to block a user’s page in India even though Facebook never explained why.

The Case

Judge Koh dismissed the discrimination claim, citing 47 USC 230 (Section 230), a federal law enacted in 1996. Section 230 has two key provisions. 230©(1) says that websites aren’t liable for third party content. Section 230©(2) says websites aren’t liable for their filtering decisions. The judge relied exclusively on Section 230©(1), explaining that the content at issue (the SFJ page) was provided by someone other than Facebook (i.e., SFJ), and the only allegedly “discriminatory” behavior was Facebook’s decision not to publish SFJ’s content. The court also rejected SFJ’s argument that Facebook owed it an explanation.

Implications

The court’s dismissal of SFJ’s case isn’t surprising. Indeed, in 2003, a court used Section 230 to reject federal discrimination claims against AOL for how it handled third party content (the uncited Noah v. AOL case). Numerous other cases have upheld websites’ rights to block user content however they see fit. See, e.g., Klayman v. Facebook; Riggs v. MySpace.

The judge also doesn’t discuss Facebook’s First Amendment freedom of the press, but that could have been another grounds for protecting Facebook’s editorial discretion. See the uncited Zhang v. Baidu case, another example of a private lawsuit to combat a website’s alleged acceptance of a foreign government’s censorship request.

Although this was an easy case under current la, we shouldn’t overlook Facebook’s alleged complicity with a foreign government censorship requests. Unfortunately, websites have few good options when governments make such demands. 

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericgoldman/2015/11/17/facebook-can-legally-block-pages-without-any-explanation/

I feel like Facebook has been calling the wrong moves lately and more of there company strategies are being criticized by creators and authors for "stealing" content 

I hope that they answer some of these claims truthfully, but it seems that Zuckerberg won't budge under all this pressure 

So can every single content streaming website.

I believe they have the "all rights to take down without prior notice and reason" policy behind every single one of this websites.

What a retarded case, Facebook isn't a public utility, its a social networking website made by a company. They can block or not block whatever they hell they feel like and it won't be illegal (no including CP and crap like that), a user of Facebook has no right to not be blocked from it.

I'm actually on Facebook's side on this.

I own a website myself and I'd most definitely limit my content (be it mine or in the form of a feature-post by someone else) if needed. Hell, I'm not even accepting traffic from entire countries.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I hope they block SoFloAntonio now..

There's thousands upon thousands of pages that shouldn't be on Facebook, yet they somehow still survive...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Facebook isn't a utility, they can block what ever they want. 

@revsilverspine I think most people are on Facebook's side. 

Just like reddit has the right to refuse unwanted content so Facebook. Your freedom of speech only applies to your own private property and reasonable things stated on public property (ie no I'm carrying a bomb)

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Their site, their rules. If you dont like it, feel free to create your own. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Is this supposed to be surprising? I would think they should be able to do this, like a business in person: "We have the right to refuse service to anyone."

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

and the news is out. PM me when it will be fixed. In the mean time, if someone wants to post the news, they can.