HDD dropped

Clanscorpia

Ugh, I'm so stupid. My new HDD (Isn't even out of static bag) fell slide off my mobo box (4 feet above the ground roughly) and hit my hands (2.75 feet above ground, hit them lightly) then hit my sweaters and fell to the ground (Roughly from 2.5  foot from ground when it hit a semi hard surface). It went through clothes which probably slew it down and my floor is carpet and it seemed to hit the corner. It's a WD Blue and I'm wondering if it survived. Any input?

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

If it works roll with it, otherwise return it and claim it was DOA

Crystaldiskinfo can tell you if the drive has issues assuming it boots

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

probably ok, they are very rugged metal construction

no way to know for sure unless you try it though

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Do you have a computer with a external SATA port? Just connect it and see if it reads.

If it works roll with it, otherwise return it and claim it was DOA

I like that idea  ;)

Yes.  Most HDD's now park their read heads away when powered off. Unless it dropped from a height that could crack or bend metal, you're fine mostly.  Always do a Error Scan with HD Tune before using it anyway for new HDDs.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

The other parts haven't arrived yet and I have 0 working pc's lying around my house. The only ones I have is my Granny's old PC with cooling issues that thermal throttles whenever I boot it up and my cardboard computer. Can anyone just guess if it's ok?

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Honestly it should be fine plug it in and run a S.M.A.R.T scan and look for bad sector if it has even one and its new unplug it and return it 

I  have GameServer`s And VOIP servers the only price is that you have fun on them. 

The other parts haven't arrived yet and I have 0 working pc's lying around my house. The only ones I have is my Granny's old PC with cooling issues that thermal throttles whenever I boot it up and my cardboard computer. Can anyone just guess if it's ok?

Use your Granny's old PC then.

It should be ok but checks its S.M.A.R.T status. Considering the fact that after throwing a Seagate barracuda from the same height you it was fine you should be alright c:

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

I'll take a pic of where it fell then post it

Spoiler

AXIOM

How high did you drop it, also you have 30 days to return it most likely so check that site's return policy, so you can wait

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

It didnt fall that hard. It sort of slid off my hand

Spoiler

AXIOM

It slid of my hand at around 2.75 feet

Spoiler

AXIOM

Image 1: It slid from my hand through the clothes onto the floor

Image 2: The front of the drive

Image 3: The corner the drive fell on

post-264905-0-52542800-1447808859.jpg

post-264905-0-77696500-1447808875.jpg

post-264905-0-37768800-1447808893.jpg

Spoiler

AXIOM

Sorry for the quality, the photos are from an ipod 4th gen

Spoiler

AXIOM

-> WD.com

-> Caviar Blue

-> Drive specs

-> Shock, non-operating - 350g's

-> Weight - .99 lbs

There you go. Have fun.

Or just plug it in and see if it works.

post-268960-0-03494700-1447813176_thumb.

Any chance you could do the math for me? :P

Spoiler

AXIOM

Any chance you could do the math for me? :P

But what would be the fun in that?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Ok, I was feeling generous so I tried doing the math. Unless I went horribly wrong somewhere, your hard drive is fine,

Edit: knowing my luck he's gonna post in two minutes saying the platters are completely shattered...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Ok! Phew! I was really worried there! *opens up HDD* What the f***! *views a small bunny bouncing on disk with a chainsaw cutting up disk"

Spoiler

AXIOM

~snip~

Hey there Clanscorpia,

If you want to be on the safe side that the drive is working properly and safely I would connect it to a working computer and run WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and see if the drive passes both the quick and the extended tests. Here's a link to the tool: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=Ov2lDL
Additionally you can check the drive's raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status as they can give you a more detailed information regarding its health condition. :) Feel free to post them here if you are not sure how to read them.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/