Video recording

Go to solution Solved by Terminashunator,

FOUND THE SOLUTION

Problem was when I use GPU acceleration with my R7770. Going to CPU only fixed it.

I need some advice for some videos i've been uploading to youtube. The quality sucks, even though I set the bitrate in Pazera and Windows Live Movie Maker to 50,000. 

I record using MSI afterburner at 90% quality, and the videos that come out look pretty much identical to live recording, but once I push them through Pazera to make them usable in Windows Movie maker, they still look alright, a little worse quality. But WLMM destroys the videos. DESTROYS. 

http://youtu.be/VvB0DfkqUIs  the latest edited version, the butt version

http://youtu.be/O0q4VLEKmmE the more original version, still looks bad.

any advice? My screen resolution is 1680x1050 I record at native resolution, upscale to 1920x1080 @ 30fps

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

I'd get rid of Windows Movie Maker ASAP. If you can, invest in Sony Vegas, Cyberlink Powerdirector or Adobe Premiere Pro, as they will unlock many more paths for editing and generally make the experience better. Look up tutorial videos and decide which software suits you best. Powerdirector is by far the easiest and most hassle free, however doesn't have as many features as Vegas. Vegas is a bit more straightforward than Premiere, however again it's missing a few utilities which Premiere has.

For videos going on Youtube, the below settings are great-
Encode in .WMV (choose the quality that gives you the optimum filesize/quality. That's up to you) @ 24p. Never upscale, period. Render your videos at 1280x720 until you can upgrade to a 1920x1080 display, or upscale the game window itself.

If you need to decrease the size of your raw, unedited, recorded footage run the clips through Handbrake http://handbrake.fr/. Using the default template is fine, and you can decrease the frame size here to 1280x720 if you want.

If you don't want to invest in Vegas, Powerfirector or Premiere Pro, give Lightworks a go. It's got a steep learning curve, however it's free and has a full featureset. If I remember correctly it only supports NVIDIA GPUs. http://www.lwks.com/
If you have a decent linux machine, you could edit your videos on it using Kdenlive. http://www.kdenlive.org/

sounds like fun in here.  I have absolutely no experience with video/editing but I have watched a lot of tv so...... ah, kidding.  Seriously though id like to learn more.  I recently had to help make a 5min video skit for my GFs project at school.  I used Sony Vegas Pro 12 and it had a steep learning curve I thought.  I got use to it but it took days and I tried only learning what I needed to from Youtube.  Thankfully for her the video production value had no grade attached to it or it would have been an instant fail. 

The idea was to use green screen and place our own background in (exam room-static image), she was to play both parts and I would film it in two different takes (is it called "takes"  IDK) anyways it was a disaster.  First mistake was buying green sheets, green sheets don't work .. at all.  Lighting was actually difficult to manage and removing green is not as simple as clicking a button.  We rendered the video several times in different formats as we kept getting artifacts, greenscreen associated im assuming.  internet 480p 4:3 finally produced an error free rendering.  

Good thing was it only took under 6 min to product the 4.59 long video.

I'd get rid of Windows Movie Maker ASAP. If you can, invest in Sony Vegas, Cyberlink Powerdirector or Adobe Premiere Pro, as they will unlock many more paths for editing and generally make the experience better. Look up tutorial videos and decide which software suits you best. Powerdirector is by far the easiest and most hassle free, however doesn't have as many features as Vegas. Vegas is a bit more straightforward than Premiere, however again it's missing a few utilities which Premiere has.

For videos going on Youtube, the below settings are great-

Encode in .WMV (choose the quality that gives you the optimum filesize/quality. That's up to you) @ 24p. Never upscale, period. Render your videos at 1280x720 until you can upgrade to a 1920x1080 display, or upscale the game window itself.

If you need to decrease the size of your raw, unedited, recorded footage run the clips through Handbrake http://handbrake.fr/. Using the default template is fine, and you can decrease the frame size here to 1280x720 if you want.

If you don't want to invest in Vegas, Powerfirector or Premiere Pro, give Lightworks a go. It's got a steep learning curve, however it's free and has a full featureset. If I remember correctly it only supports NVIDIA GPUs. http://www.lwks.com/

If you have a decent linux machine, you could edit your videos on it using Kdenlive. http://www.kdenlive.org/

Downloaded handbrake, got Vegas, I'll give them a spin tomorrow. Thank you for the advice.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

15g5c36.png

was making a test, and I get this garbage? What did I do wrong? :o 

Pictures are after, and before.

15g5c36.png

was making a test, and I get this garbage? What did I do wrong? :o

Pictures are after, and before.

Before and after you did what?

Before and after you did what?

The before is the original capture video. the after is after I render in Vegas. 

rePlMRG.png

Good stuff, screenshots like this are what I need to see. Definetely drop the framerate to 24, it's pointless leaving it that high. Also, try playing the exported footage with VLC player. It may very well be that whatever is playing back your exported footage doesn't exactly handle the codec well (Windows Media Player is a big culprit). http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Otherwise everything looks where it should be. Could you include your capture settings from afterburner? Also, are you experiencing any audio desynch?

Good stuff, screenshots like this are what I need to see. Definetely drop the framerate to 24, it's pointless leaving it that high. Also, try playing the exported footage with VLC player. It may very well be that whatever is playing back your exported footage doesn't exactly handle the codec well (Windows Media Player is a big culprit). http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Otherwise everything looks where it should be. Could you include your capture settings from afterburner? Also, are you experiencing any audio desynch?

This was purely a test on a video I had available. The video I intend to use is high-motion, and it looks much better at 30 than 24. Unless there's a conflict going to 30, i'd prefer using 30 over 24. The exported footage is played in Media Player Classic, VLC, and it looks exactly liek the image on the left. It looks terrible.  

Also, no desync issues. I've only had this problem since I used Vegas. Worked fine thsi same video in Movie Maker.

FqDYohx.png

Are you setting your project settings before exporting the video? I know for a fact that Mainconcept's codec for Vegas has issues with pixelation artifacts. I've never seen it as obnoxious as you're having, but that may be it. Also, could you please try running raw captured footage through Handbrake before importing it to Vegas? From what I can tell everything looks in order. I haven't used Vegas in a few years however the settings themselves look fine. Maybe try dropping the frame size in afterburner to 720p. Is the machine you're rendering this on the one in your sig? A detailed and thorough explanation of your current workflow would be really useful for troubleshooting too. Thanks!

Also try a second parse. No idea if this version of Vegas supports the command, but it might be hidden in that bitrate tab seen in the screenshot.

81PIJme.png

aQvTBBW.png

y47yhrI.jpg

Came out looking fine after handbrake. Will try using this in vegas now.

6wRmMM6.png

better this time, but still unacceptable.

lLK70Yr.jpg

YEP still butt.

FOUND THE SOLUTION

Problem was when I use GPU acceleration with my R7770. Going to CPU only fixed it.

This is what I wanted to edit the entire time. I still need to learn to stop fiddling with filters and learn how to remove them, but the video came out much nicer!

Gpu excel did not render proper for me on righ res renders. Took to long with cpu @5h for 1080p. 5min with gpu excel. @ 480p

Gpu excel did not render proper for me on righ res renders. Took to long with cpu @5h for 1080p. 5min with gpu excel. @ 480p

Yeah, that's why I was using GPU acceleration. Alas, my hardware/drivers aren't compatible.

Were u using open cl or gl? For nvidia cards u want "open gl". Ati uses "open cl" and is much quicker than gl with nvidia cards. Even then gpu excel only does a part of the render .... Transitions... VideoFX. I cant remember which sorry

What kind of vram usage do you get. My vid used over 4gb. Vram at points

Were u using open cl or gl? For nvidia cards u want "open gl". Ati uses "open cl" and is much quicker than gl with nvidia cards. Even then gpu excel only does a part of the render .... Transitions... VideoFX. I cant remember which sorry

What kind of vram usage do you get. My vid used over 4gb. Vram at points

It was using open CL, and it was using less than 200mb of Vram out of my 1Gb card.

I was going to mention GPU acceleration but I thought that was only a problem for 6XXX gen cards. Glad to hear you're all sorted man!