Will I be able to recover my files

azrituba

Hi, I own a wd mybook 2tb which has a bad sector on it. tried to scan using windows checkdisk before. Now, the external in not showing up in my computer. But, it is showing up in disk storage management as uninitialized. What should I do? Is it possible to make an image of it and recover files from the image? or there's another ways to recover the files on it? or there's no hope and I should just format it?

The files is mostly movies and some random pictures.

I'm not sure where is this post suppose to be as this is my first.

So what happened when you tried to scan the drive? Did the drive just disappear or did it scan the drive?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The data should still be recoverable, some, but not all(only if your lucky). I use a program called seagate file recovery for windows, it's not free but it detects the drives that's not detectable by windows, and it allows me to recover data. There's some free recovery programs out there but you'll have to do some research to find a good one.

"You are who you choose to be.....Choose"

See my Profile for my 

So what happened when you tried to scan the drive? Did the drive just disappear or did it scan the drive?

the scan took too long, so i cancel it and then its disapperar

The scan could easily take an hour or maybe even more. If you've got a drive problem, I'd advise you let the scan run.

Having said that, assuming it's not a severely damaged sector, then you should probably be able to recover with any number of programs. I got R-Studio to recover my RAID 0 array of WD Greens and it worked perfectly. It isn't free, but it works (if you can figure out how one earth it works). Download the demo version, scan your PC and if it finds everything and you can successfully recover the limited file sizes the demo has, then maybe you can buy it and recover everything else.

Good luck!