Does it even matter these days?

Predrag

Some people seem not to understand that you can install the OS from a usb drive and get the updates from the manufacturer's website. I don't use DVD nd never write on one, do I need it? P.S. I hve an external USB DVD reader is there a difference between that and the internal 5.25" one?

Nope, it looks ugly, takes up space and you probably won't use it.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

well, drivers from the website would be amazing...

IF THE FRIKKIN' NETWORK DRIVER WAS ON THE WINDOWS INSTALL DISK!

a while back i had to move a windows install from an athlon 64 based machine to an i3 540 based machine. it auto-fixed all drivers except network drivers...

EDIT: if you dont like the look of a DVD drive, get a case with a door.

I sometimes use my DVD drive for old games and the occasional second hand CD I buy. Otherwise I never use it.

But to answer your question: depends on you use as explained above. And there is no real difference between an internal and external one so I would say you dont need a new DVD drive

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If you really need a dvd drive get those external slim drive so it stays out of the way and dose not look ugly

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

external one if you think you need it personally I haven't used one in years for myself 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

well, drivers from the website would be amazing...

IF THE FRIKKIN' NETWORK DRIVER WAS ON THE WINDOWS INSTALL DISK!

a while back i had to move a windows install from an athlon 64 based machine to an i3 540 based machine. it auto-fixed all drivers except network drivers...

EDIT: if you dont like the look of a DVD drive, get a case with a door.

Wifi drivers and ethernet drivers were all missing from my laptop when I reset and reinstalled windows...had to use my desktop to download drivers as both wouldn't work without their drivers...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Wifi drivers and ethernet drivers were all missing from my laptop when I reset and reinstalled windows...had to use my desktop to download drivers as both wouldn't work without their drivers...

its one of the things thats seriously driving me to linux.

last year i needed a linux VM for school. while other students were figuring out ubuntu 14.04 virtualbox extensions (14.04 was a joke, its worse than windows driver-wise...) my manjaro linux install was figuring out itself xD

nothing better than taking a nap on your desk, and being able to say "i'm installing linux" when the teacher tells you to get the hell back to work xD