Very long boot time on Windows 10 with SSD

Speedbird

Hi.

I have a PC running Windows 10, but it is taking an unusually long time to boot. It can take more than 5 minutes, even though the boot drive is a 250GB Crucial MX200 with the latest firmware. I know that this is a very vague issue, but if i should provide more info for you, let me know.

My motherboard is an Asus Q87M-E btw.

Thanks

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

does the board by any chance have a dedicated port for the boot drive and or SSD's?

Make sure that the machine isn't thermal throttling or has any crapware on it and that the SSD's running on SATA 6GB/s if available...

Is it running a memtest or something before it boots from the SSD?

Sig under construction.

does the board by any chance have a dedicated port for the boot drive and or SSD's?

Nope.

Make sure that the machine isn't thermal throttling or has any crapware on it and that the SSD's running on SATA 6GB/s if available...

Is it running a memtest or something before it boots from the SSD?

It doesn't seem to be throttling, it boots fine when fast startup was enabled. And the only SATA ports are the 6Gb/s ones.

I doubt it's running memtest.

clean install?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

clean install?

I would rather not. It would take me days to get it back to where I am right now.

is it plugged into a sata 3 gb instead of sata 6 gb?

Nope, Q87 only has SATA 6Gb/s.

I would rather not. It would take me days to get it back to where I am right now.

yeah well thats probably why your boot times are so long, and the only fix will be clean installing

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

yeah well thats probably why your boot times are so long, and the only fix will be clean installing

Please explain how programs not running at startup affect the boot time.

Please explain how programs not running at startup affect the boot time.

what???

you said you had long boot time...not long program startup...

boot time has nothing to do with programs...it has to do with the OS

Spoiler

what???

you said you had long boot time...not long program startup...

boot time has nothing to do with programs...it has to do with the OS

Programs running at startup affect the boot time, I think we can agree on that.

And I do not have any programs running at startup. How does a flight simulator with lots of add-ons installed affect the OS in such a way that the boot time quadruples?

Check BIOS AHCI mode, check boot loader priority, check startup settings in task manager, virus scan, recreate user to clean any settings (If you upgraded from previous Windows OS), Check SSD Firmware, Check BIOS updates (Dont go for beta bios, I have had a lot fail on me) check you are actually in a Sata 6 connector.

Other things you could do is a TRIM clean, just to keep the drive in check, if it continued after these problems try a reinstall or backup, if continues I would suspect the drive

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

And I do not have any programs running at startup. How does a flight simulator with lots of add-ons installed affect the OS in such a way that the boot time quadruples?

It affects everything as well as the OS having to deal with everything else (More so in UEFI) you need to then load the files from HDD to the CPU then RAM, a very slow process even with an SSD involved, and it taxes the system as its still initializing the boot files to make sure the system stays active.

Never have large applications run at boot, IF you must and I mean MUST then use a staggered startup method, allows critical files load first then the less important things run first.

It would be like asking "Why does it take me so long to load WoW up from a cold boot?, Because it needs to load everything into slow memory from even slower memory.

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

ok I don't think you understand what boot time is.

boot time is the time since pressing the start button until the desktop shows up

NO PROGRAMS HAVE STARTED YET at this point

it is only AFTER that the programs start to initialize

its not possible to run any programs if the OS is not finished booting

Spoiler

Check BIOS AHCI mode, check boot loader priority, check startup settings in task manager, virus scan, recreate user to clean any settings (If you upgraded from previous Windows OS), Check SSD Firmware, Check BIOS updates (Dont go for beta bios, I have had a lot fail on me) check you are actually in a Sata 6 connector.

Other things you could do is a TRIM clean, just to keep the drive in check, if it continued after these problems try a reinstall or backup, if continues I would suspect the drive

I checked all of those minutes before posting this. I checked AHCI as suggested by another post on the same thread. Bootloader priority has been the same for months, Windows Boot Manager (UEFI) first. I ran Malwarebytes today. I checked startup too. My BIOS is the latest. And this is the 3rd time I've been told to check the SATA connector.

The thing is, I had Windows 10 installed on the same drive before, andf it was working fine. I doubt it's the drive.

You may need to re-install, You can however find out what is causing it by running windows performance analyzer.

You can install the ADK by clicking the link at the top of this page.

Once installed run

xbootmgr -trace boot

then wait for your system to reboot. When its loaded to the desktop you can press "finish" on the box that says it's tracing startup items. Since this is after the actual boot.

Once it's finished you launch "Windows performance analyzer"

File > Open > Users > (Username) > (Filename).etl       

(It will likely be named something like boot_BASE+CSWITCH)

Performance monitor will load the data. (may take a while)

Now the parts you want to look at will be the analysis view for processes (right click on processes and click open in analysis view)

It may also be worth looking at the "Boot Phases" section to get the time stamp for boot vs programs starting. (Represented up to the Green bar)

See Attatched Screenshot.

msg-21562-0-84119800-1447564287.jpeg

Left screen is the general view you will be greeted with.

The Center screen is the Processes Analysis Page.

The Right screen is the Boot Phases Analysis Screen.

The highlighted part is boot process. After that is explorer and start up programs. For me it happens around the ~15second mark.

Good Luck.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

It affects everything as well as the OS having to deal with everything else (More so in UEFI) you need to then load the files from HDD to the CPU then RAM, a very slow process even with an SSD involved, and it taxes the system as its still initializing the boot files to make sure the system stays active.

Never have large applications run at boot, IF you must and I mean MUST then use a staggered startup method, allows critical files load first then the less important things run first.

It would be like asking "Why does it take me so long to load WoW up from a cold boot?, Because it needs to load everything into slow memory from even slower memory.

You just told me why it takes programs a long time to load. I am asking why does my OS take a long time to load. I am very well aware why it takes 2 minutes to load FSX.

ok I don't think you understand what boot time is.

boot time is the time since pressing the start button until the desktop shows up

NO PROGRAMS HAVE STARTED YET at this point

it is only AFTER that the programs start to initialize

its not possible to run any programs if the OS is not finished booting

Early-launch antimalware (and malware) can launch earlier in the process. And most startup programs load while the user is signing in, on the login screen, or a little before the loading screen.

You just told me why it takes programs a long time to load. I am asking why does my OS take a long time to load. I am very well aware why it takes 2 minutes to load FSX.

Early-launch antimalware (and malware) can launch earlier in the process. And most startup programs load while the user is signing in, on the login screen, or a little before the loading screen.

ok so what you're saying is not that boot takes very long, but that the desktop and programs take really long to load?

Spoiler

ok so what you're saying is not that boot takes very long, but that the desktop and programs take really long to load?

No, it is the boot that takes a long time.

No, it is the boot that takes a long time.

Ok then, as I said before then it is not the programs, it is the OS, and you need to do a clean install

Spoiler

Ok then, as I said before then it is not the programs, it is the OS, and you need to do a clean install

I'm considering clean install as a last resort.

You may need to re-install, You can however find out what is causing it by running windows performance analyzer.

You can install the ADK by clicking the link at the top of this page.

Once installed run

xbootmgr -trace boot

then wait for your system to reboot. When its loaded to the desktop you can press "finish" on the box that says it's tracing startup items. Since this is after the actual boot.

Once it's finished you launch "Windows performance analyzer"

File > Open > Users > (Username) > (Filename).etl       

(It will likely be named something like boot_BASE+CSWITCH)

Performance monitor will load the data. (may take a while)

Now the parts you want to look at will be the analysis view for processes (right click on processes and click open in analysis view)

It may also be worth looking at the "Boot Phases" section to get the time stamp for boot vs programs starting. (Represented up to the Green bar)

See Attatched Screenshot.

attachicon.gif2015-11-14 07_23_31-C__Users_Jacob_boot_BASE+CSWITCH_1.etl - Analysis (2).png

Left screen is the general view you will be greeted with.

The Center screen is the Processes Analysis Page.

The Right screen is the Boot Phases Analysis Screen.

The highlighted part is boot process. After that is explorer and start up programs. For me it happens around the ~15second mark.

Good Luck.

Thanks, but I will have to keep trying this until I manage to reproduce the issue. It seems to happen randomly, but I swear it happened on every cold boot I did yesterday...