SIGMO - talk and understand in more than 25 languages

jos

sigmo1.jpg

While smartphones today provide language translation options, they can sometimes be awkward and hard to use when stuck in a situation where time is of the essence. A new peripheral called Sigmo is looking to change all that, by providing a universal translator housed in a small plastic box. The device contains both a microphone and speaker, and can instantly translate between 25 languages at a push of a button.
The Sigmo pairs with iOS and Android devices via Bluetooth, and uses the device’s language translation software to complete the translation. A free Sigmo app allows users to choose which languages Sigmo should translate too and from. The device is very compact and unobtrusive, allowing users to pin it on their collar or
Sigmo currently supports the following languages:
English (US), English (UK), English (Australia), English (Canada), Spanish (Spain), Spanish (United States), Spanish (Mexico), French (France), French (Canada), Finish, German, Italian, Japanese, Chinese (China), Mandarin (Taiwan / Hong Kong), Catalan, Korean, Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Portuguese (Portugal), Portuguese (Brazil), Polish, Russian, Arabic, Indonesian, Hebrew, Czech, Turkish, African, Malay.
It is an INDEGOGO Campaign i saw.. For more Read source:http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sigmo-talk-and-understand-in-more-than-25-languages

I don't see why you need a dedicated device for this. They should use the technology behind all of this and make an app.

I love how they have four English languages. It'd be funny if it just changed the accent.

Probably just different accents for input. As a non-native speaker, I find some accents harder to be understood. I can't speak US accent so some of the voice prediction features don't work as well as they should be. =\

EDIT:

I can see how it can be very useful for people travelling to different countries.

I've been to many countries where not a lot of people speak English(eg. Thailand, Taiwan and Korea) and it's really hard to go around without knowing their language. I'm sure the Linus Media Group can relate to this while they were in Taiwan for Computex.