Obsidian 350D or Define R4?

I can't choose between Corsair Obsidian 350D and Fractal Design Define R4,

Wich one looks the best?

350D is Matx while R4 is ATX. So R4 will have more room for expansion. Which looks best is a very subjective question. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

You can't ask which one looks the best; that's your opinion. Both cases are really good though. I'd go for either depending if you want mATX or ATX.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

Isn't that personal preference?

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

The R4 is pretty boring and matx is more portable/takes up less space. I'd go matx just because it's more practical and can do what most everyone needs in a system.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The R4 is pretty boring and matx is more portable/takes up less space. I'd go matx just because it's more practical and can do what most everyone needs in a system.

Ok, thanks

R4 army reppin'

Clean and refined is nice too. Aside from decent features and build quality. Both are good though. R4 pulls off the same look a little better IMO.

Error: 410

I think i'll go with the 350D, it has all the space i need. ;)

depends on what kind of motherboard you have.

R4 is silence optimized, you won't here a thing most of the time. But, it's heavy. Not really meant for LAN parties.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

get the 900D :D

Srry, that one is a little bit too big :P

R4 army reppin'

Clean and refined is nice too. Aside from decent features and build quality. Both are good though. R4 pulls off the same look a little better IMO.

The R4 must be the most loved thing on these forums :P

I like big ass windows so the 350D gets a +1 from me :)

Have you see the fractal arc midi r2? Its an awesome case.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

R4.You can't compare those or if you don't care about money , i feel that you get more with the R4 than with the 350D.I can get the R4 Windowed for 89€ and normal for 79€ and the 350D for 110€

I'm currently sitting at the exact same cross roads, so here is what i have come up with.

If I go 350D I will probably go very minimalistic, and be on the cheaper side. One graphics card, and mostly air cooling. Maybe a closed loop cpu cooler. ( I mean to say that my entire build will be cheaper because there is less space.)

However, If I go Fractal R4, this gives me the option of using an ATX board. That way I can add a PCI-E wifi card, and a sound card with the graphics card. It will also have enough space for me to do a custom loop, and still have space for a few extra drives. Building this way will allow me to have a more silent computer, but it will take more effort than the 350D and more money.

I feel like there isnt really enough space for a custom loop in the 350D. (It may be possible but i have never done liquid cooling so the larger space will give me more room for error.)

i feel that you get more with the R4 than with the 350D.I can get the R4 Windowed for 89€ and normal for 79€ and the 350D for 110€  

I agree  with this as well. But if you want smaller and more compact then the price is relevant as they are not the same form factor.

I'm currently sitting at the exact same cross roads, so here is what i have come up with.

If I go 350D I will probably go very minimalistic, and be on the cheaper side. One graphics card, and mostly air cooling. Maybe a closed loop cpu cooler. ( I mean to say that my entire build will be cheaper because there is less space.)

However, If I go Fractal R4, this gives me the option of using an ATX board. That way I can add a PCI-E wifi card, and a sound card with the graphics card. It will also have enough space for me to do a custom loop, and still have space for a few extra drives. Building this way will allow me to have a more silent computer, but it will take more effort than the 350D and more money.

I feel like there isnt really enough space for a custom loop in the 350D. (It may be possible but i have never done liquid cooling so the larger space will give me more room for error.)

I agree with this as well. But if you want smaller and more compact then the price is relevant as they are not the same form factor.

your build in the r4 needs 4 pcie slots,

matx boards have 4 slots...

custom loop isn t always quieter than good air coolers, expecially the 1st loop you build. (not saying it can t be quieter, just that you add a pump that produce noise, and a first build isn t always perfect)

you can spend as much in a 350d as in a r4 if your build can fit in either one.(if you went tri-sli / crossfire it would be another story)

a more reasonable comparaison would be define mini vs 350d as they re the same size.

the 30$ diff between cases isn t rly important compared to the total cost of the build.

i d go r4 tho as i hate windows, they get scratched too easily and let too much noise out.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

I found out a DVD-Drive looks very ugly in the 350D, so i go for the R4. :D

Which looks best is up to you. Personally, I like the 350D, but that's partly because I'm fond of Corsair.

The R4 obviously has more room inside since it's ATX, so it depends on what you're doing with it.

a better comparison would be the 550d and the R4 as both are mid tower atx cases bulit with silence in mind. I cant remember the fractal lineup of cases but they must have something that is meant to compete with the 350d and corsair also has the 650d if as an atx mid tower if you dont care about noise so much.

all this choice is up to you and pick what suits you best, personalty i would chose the 650D because i perfer the corsair styling and the water cooling options appeal to me

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Why is the price difference in USA $30? Were i live the difference is only €7 ($10)

EDIT: Wait, i can install the DVD drive, install Windows and then remove the DVD drive, right?