Macbook Pro or PC?

Aniallation

So, I'm looking for a second-hand laptop, and I'm actually looking into getting a MacBook Pro. I'm trying to get one of the late 2011 models, which will cost me about $600 for a decent condition one second hand, to be used for school and general stuff like that.

If I was buying brand new I'd for sure go for a PC, but a used MBP of this time seems to fit my specs-related needs well, and it's only about $100 more than a PC laptop with comparable specs. The MBP looks nicer, has a backlit keyboard, MagSafe charger, and other features, but most importantly an optical drive as I actually do find myself needing to read and burn CDs and DVDs every now and then, and my desktop doesn't have a drive for it so I keep having to pull out my ancient Toshiba laptop running XP to burn discs.

If I went for a PC, it would be something along the lines of the 2012 Dell XPS 13, Lenovo U310, Asus UX31E, or Acer Aspire S3. All of them are around $100 cheaper and have similar specs to the MBP, but only one of which has a backlit keyboard, and none of which have an optical drive. (If I bought an external one would cost me $40, but if I get the MBP I will want to put an SSD in it and a friend of mine is selling me his for $40, offsetting the difference)

In terms of Windows vs OSX, I don't really care. I'll live perfectly fine with either.

So for this price and age point, do you guys think it's worth the $100 to go for a MBP over a competing PC laptop?

"Rawr XD"

Laptop Personally i think chromebooks xD

i use my desktop for anything important 

Chromebook>windows laptop>linux laptop>Mac os laptop

You can always get a usb dvd burner for your desktop or laptop or what ever

Why would you get a laptop that turns into a potato when there's no internet connection?

OT: Yes. It's the little things.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

id get the macbook pro

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Why would you get a laptop that turns into a potato when there's no internet connection?

Where i live, thier is literally internet everywhere 

very few places don't have public wifi.

and my chromebook has 4g built in.

2011 Macbooks kinda suck.. My Macbook Pro 2012 gets 15 FPS on Minecraft on Low settings, I can't imagine that a 2011 MBP would be competent at anything.

I used to be quite active here.

All I ever do on my desktop is browse the web anyways. I rarely play games or do anything that requires the GPU power I have on hand. Honestly, I might just sell my desktop and hook up whatever laptop I get to my external monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers when I'm home. I doubt I'd notice the difference compared to my desktop. If anything it'd be better as my desktop is still using a mechanical HDD.

"Rawr XD"

-snip-

From 3 years experience of using a MacBook Pro as a daily driver, go for it. Build quality is superb, Mac OS is well designed IMO and it's a great experience for casual use. Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Pales in comparison to a desktop, of course. But still good for browsing, work and media consumption.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

2011 Macbooks kinda suck.. My Macbook Pro 2012 gets 15 FPS on Minecraft on Low settings, I can't imagine that a 2011 MBP would be competent at anything.

I only have two games on my desktop right now, Roblox and SLRR. I don't think either of those require extremely powerful machines :P

"Rawr XD"

So for this price and age point, do you guys think it's worth the $100 to go for a MBP over a competing PC laptop?

No.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What? My 2010 MacBook Pro used to get 120+ FPS on Minecraft, highest settings. With optifine that went up to about 200.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

I only have two games on my desktop right now, Roblox and SLRR. I don't think either of those require extremely powerful machines :P

Roblox will lag, like hardcore.

Don't know about SLRR, but it might work.

$600 is a steep price for a used laptop that's 4 years old, the guy that's selling it is an idiot. Try to get the price down.

What? My 2010 MacBook Pro used to get 120+ FPS on Minecraft, highest settings. With optifine that went up to about 200.

Do you have a magicbook or something? I mean, mine is no top model, but it's from 2012 and gets NOTHING in terms of performance. I can run all the Apple programs fine, but even some webpages lag along when I'm using Safari.. It's pathetic.

Do you have a magicbook or something? I mean, mine is no top model, but it's from 2012 and gets NOTHING in terms of performance. I can run all the Apple programs fine, but even some webpages lag along when I'm using Safari.. It's pathetic.

Mine has a dual core i5, 4GB RAM and a GT330M and absolutely flies in Minecraft and in day-to-day use. That's with 5 years worth of work files and stuff clogging up the 320GB HDD. Don't know if I got a MagicBook or you got a CrapBook.

Roblox will lag, like hardcore.

Don't know about SLRR, but it might work.

$600 is a steep price for a used laptop that's 4 years old, the guy that's selling it is an idiot. Try to get the price down.

SLRR runs fine on the ancient laptop I use for burning CDs, which is a Pentium M with a GeForce Go 6600. So I wouldn't imagine why it wouldn't be okay on a MBP.

Keep in mind this is $600 CAD and stuff costs noticeably more here than in the US. I got him down to $550 which is actually really low for what it is. Where I am, all the other MBPs with similar specs are $700-750.

"Rawr XD"

SLRR runs fine on the ancient laptop I use for burning CDs, which is a Pentium M with a GeForce Go 6600. So I wouldn't imagine why it wouldn't be okay on a MBP.

Keep in mind this is $600 CAD and stuff costs noticeably more here than in the US. I got him down to $550 which is actually really low for what it is. Where I am, all the other MBPs with similar specs are $700-750.

Then just get the MBP.

What kind of lag in Safari?

I'm using an Acer Aspire Switch 10 right now, so honestly anything will be an improvement.

"Rawr XD"

MACBOOK!! ^_^

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

From 3 years experience of using a MacBook Pro as a daily driver, go for it. Build quality is superb, Mac OS is well designed IMO and it's a great experience for casual use. Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Pales in comparison to a desktop, of course. But still good for browsing, work and media consumption.

Is there any complaints you have in particular about them? I heard the chargers tend to just die out.

"Rawr XD"

What kind of lag in Safari?

I'm using an Acer Aspire Switch 10 right now, so honestly anything will be an improvement.

Not on pages like forums, just things that have lots of stuff on the screen. I don't get much of a problem, but it's noticeable when switching to my desktop.

Is there any complaints you have in particular about them? I heard the chargers tend to just die out.

Not really, my charger still works fine. Umm... I guess it's slow to boot if you don't get an SSD. That's about all I can think of.

Seriously, they're great for casual use IMO. The only reason I stopped using it as my daily driver is because I got into gaming, otherwise I'm sure I'd still be using it, 5 years on.

Probably you have a 13" they have integrated Intel graphics only

2010 15" has GT330M and 2011 has HD 6750M.

Pay attention for the 2011 model, some has GPU problems, although Apple should fix them for free, on what condition I am not sure

I'd get the Macbook and install windows on it.

But that is what I'd do, I cannot live without an ODD.