Can I display a second monitor through my motherboard rather than video card port?

gojira
Go to solution Solved by Lord_Karango17,

Yes, just plug it into the motherboard, and see if it gets detected. If not, then go into the bios and turn on the igpu, or set both the dedicated gpu and igpu to work at the same time.

Hello

So I have another monitor laying around, but I can't plug it into my video card as I don't have another DVI cable. So, is it possible to power a second monitor through my motherboard's VGA port, with my primary display connected to my video card? If so, how? My specs are:

R9 280x

Pentium G3258

Asus B85M-G R2 motherboard

Thanks

junker build in the making

Yes, just plug it into the motherboard, and see if it gets detected. If not, then go into the bios and turn on the igpu, or set both the dedicated gpu and igpu to work at the same time.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Some boards allow that, but doesn't your card come with a DVI-I to VGA adapter?

|| Case: Corsair Graphite 230T || CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K || CPU Cooler: Corsair A50 || Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE 3X || Motherboard: ASUS Z87-PRO ||

|| RAM: ADATA XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) || Storage: Seagate 600 SSD 240GB, WD Black 1TB || PSU: XFX Pro 650W Core Edition || OS: Windows 10 Pro || What's an optical drive? ||

OP system is pretty recent, I'm sure he can do that.

The caveat is that the monitor that is connected to onboard (CPU) graphics will not operate using the power of his R9 280X.

Got my card second hand and the adapter did not come with it. Guess I ought to buy one. This works great, for now, however.

junker build in the making