GTX 950 vs GTX 960 vs R9 280(x) vs R9 380

Vek1313
Go to solution Solved by Senzelian,

Yeah, but I thought the only difference between x and non-x cards was the clock speed?

No that is not the only difference.

There is a difference in memory bandwith, stream processing units (SPU) and obviously the core clock speed.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/r9

Out of the 4 graphics cards you mentioned the R9 280X will perform the best when it comes to average frame rates in games.

Pretty close behind sits the R9 380, then GTX 960, R9 280 and the GTX 950 at the end.

280x > 380 > 280 > 960 > 950

If I'm correct the 960 performs quite a bit better than the R9 280.

It should achieve higher average frame rates, aswell as much higher minumum frame rates.

So between the 4 in the title which has the best performance for 1080p. I'm assuming the 960 or 380 and with that is it worth the extra money for the performance or is the performance gap so low that the extra money isn't worth it? In USD.

280X

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

I believe the 380 is the winner for 1080p, and you can find them on sale for under $200 nowadays.

CPU - Intel i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (Rev 2.0) | RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866 | Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti SC | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) | PSU - EVGA 750W B2 | Display - Acer K272HUL | Keyboard - E-Element RGB | Mouse - Logitech g502 | Sound - Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/Fostex TH-x00/Sennheiser HD595

Is waiting for the 380X an option? It comes out in like a week or so - this month, at least.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

Is waiting for the 380X an option? It comes out in like a week or so - this month, at least.

Yeah, but I thought the only difference between x and non-x cards was the clock speed?

Can be a difference in processing units as well. The 280x/380x is a much better card

If anyone asks you never saw me.

No that is not the only difference.

There is a difference in memory bandwith, stream processing units (SPU) and obviously the core clock speed.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/r9

Out of the 4 graphics cards you mentioned the R9 280X will perform the best when it comes to average frame rates in games.

Pretty close behind sits the R9 380, then GTX 960, R9 280 and the GTX 950 at the end.

280x > 380 > 280 > 960 > 950

If I'm correct the 960 performs quite a bit better than the R9 280.

It should achieve higher average frame rates, aswell as much higher minumum frame rates.

No that is not the only difference.There is a difference in memory bandwith, stream processing units (SPU) and obviously the core clock speed.http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/r9Out of the 4 graphics cards you mentioned the R9 280X will perform the best when it comes to average frame rates in games.Pretty close behind sits the R9 380, then GTX 960, R9 280 and the GTX 950 at the end.If I'm correct the 960 performs quite a bit better than the R9 280.It should achieve higher average frame rates, aswell as much higher minumum frame rates.

Ok thank you. Idk if it is different between EU and US but what day is the 380x supposed to release? Would that be the best option? Expected price? I kinda need to keep the GPU $175 or less with the budget I am on.

The expected cost I heard from NCIX was 250us. For the 380x

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Ok thank you. Idk if it is different between EU and US but what day is the 380x supposed to release? Would that be the best option? Expected price? I kinda need to keep the GPU $175 or less with the budget I am on.

I don't know when it will launch, but the msrp is 249$.

So that's out of your budget anyways. I would recommend to get a 380 instead if that's posible.