Router

Joelbanks5

What do I need to look for in a router? Like what points out on the box that it's the best in its price range?

just build one and run PFsense; TBH I am super fed up with "consumer routers" ATM

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

just build one and run PFsense; TBH I am super fed up with "consumer routers" ATM

Have peaked my intrest.

Do you know a guide you can link me to?

Quote my post if you need me to respond.

What do I need to look for in a router? Like what points out on the box that it's the best in its price range?

Depends on what you are doing. In most cases, any consumer router will be fine. More money = it will likely last longer, have items like gigabit ethernet (for both WAN and LAN ports), file servers, etc etc. 

If you are trying to connect up your 3 computers at home, just grab a router that supports Gigabit ethernet, and is from a reputable manufacturer. 

Now, contrary to the title of the video I see currently on the sidebar "router" does not = wireless router. If you are looking for a wireless router, then you have more to consider. But for a pure router, Ethernet speed, and whether it has file sharing are probably the two major considerations for a small home network. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

This is a really fun project. I did this for awhile (ran smoothwall I think). Ended up switching to a higher-end consumer router with custom firmware though. The noise and heat and energy from a computer running 24/7 was a bit much. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200