My son's experience with ULTRA PSUs so far

Right around christmas of last year (2014) my son purchased a computer. He was on a budget but wanted a good desktop machine for league and a few lighter games. We looked all over and for 700 bucks or so he got a pretty decent package deal through tigerdirect.com. He got a decent FX 8300 system and MSI 270x with IPS monitor. The one thing that we weren't sure of was the power supply. The package deal came with a PSU for 34 bucks, and ULTRA 650.

His system stopped booting a month ago and we determined that is was his PSU because my seasonic runs it fine while his PSU won't start mine. We exchanged it and Ultra was good about it, but you have to pre pay for a new unit to be cross shipped while they wait for the old one. The new "replacement" PSU was also defective (not enough on the 12v rail to run his system and 270x at the same time) so we are returning it. I am not ranting on Ultra or tiger because they have both done the right thing as far as taking care of problems so far. It seems their PSUs are awful though and they need a better OEM or something. Most of the reviews are bad. 

Has anyone else had experience with them and their products, how is your experience with them ? Their cust service seems honorable and good at least.

Oh and when I called tiger after the second return to verify tigers return address (because it is the same as ultra's), the rep guessed it was the PSU without me saying ANYTHING other than asking if the address was correct lol.

*EDIT - THANKS FOR THE ADVICE GUYS...BUT HE'S IN HIS 20'S AND CAN CHANGE IT, OTHERWISE I WOULD HELP HIM. tIGER AGREED TO REFUND IT AND HE'S GONNA BUY A GOOD ONE :)

I've never even heard of ULTRA.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

The PSU is one of the components you really shouldn't ever skimp on. Manufacturer wattage ratings are usually bogus and the entire thing is unregulated and non-standardized. You have to refer to individual model tests by people with the right equipment like JohnnyGuru. If a PSU fails, it can take more expensive components with it, and even if it doesn't fail it can lead to other problems with unstable power delivery. It's a fairly complicated subject when trying to do the research yourself, but the easy shortcut is to just google the model name on JohnnyGuru and if he reviews it favorably, buy it. Otherwise, avoid at all costs.

Just get a EVGA SuperNOVA 600 B2 for your sons build, won't break the bank but is a great PSU.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Cant say anything about them. Never heard of them. But 34$ can only be crap.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

ULTRA is a crappy brand immediately change the psu if you dont want to screw up the other parts

I told him it was prob iffy when he got it and he'd wanna change it out, did not know HOW iffy.

The PSU is one of the components you really shouldn't ever skimp on. Manufacturer wattage ratings are usually bogus and the entire thing is unregulated and non-standardized. You have to refer to individual model tests by people with the right equipment like JohnnyGuru. If a PSU fails, it can take more expensive components with it, and even if it doesn't fail it can lead to other problems with unstable power delivery. It's a fairly complicated subject when trying to do the research yourself, but the easy shortcut is to just google the model name on JohnnyGuru and if he reviews it favorably, buy it. Otherwise, avoid at all costs.

I do, my personal PSU is a seasonic plat v2

Cant say anything about them. Never heard of them. But 34$ can only be crap.

The price when you actually buy it from them or tiger is 69 dollars, just it was 34 in the bundle, but yeah...it sucked bad !