How bad will I bottleneck?

I just ordered a GTX980, and I'm wondering how bad I will bottleneck it with a Phenom II 965 OC'd to 4.2 GHz. Will it be rediculous? Am I literally throwing money away unless I upgrade?

In case it matters, my RAM is 8gb of DDR3 1600MHz.

Also, current graphics card is a gtx550ti

EDIT: sorry I double posted, I'm not thinking right ATM, fever of 102. i don't see where i can delete it either.

I just ordered a GTX980, and I'm wondering how bad I will bottleneck it with a Phenom II 965 OC'd to 4.2 GHz. Will it be rediculous? Am I literally throwing money away unless I upgrade?

That bottleneck is one of the biggest bottlenecks I've ever seen. It's worse than one of those troll PCPP lists with 4-way SLI Titan X' s and a FX-4350.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

considering I haven't heard of phenom since 2010, probably. were you going to upgrade anyways or? 

That bottleneck is one of the biggest bottlenecks I've ever seen. It's worse than one of those troll PCPP lists with 4-way SLI Titan X' s and a FX-4350.

Pretty sure this isn't a serious post. I'm 99.78474129% sure.

nope

pentium 4 32bit and a gtx titan

bottleneck supreme

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

His CPU is better than an FX-4350 though.

That said, the bottleneck is going to be really huge at 1080p, and you should get a new CPU ASAP @OP

(You'll still get a performance gain in most games though.)

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Pretty sure this isn't a serious post. I'm 99.78474129% sure.

and im 99.6969696996969696969696  sure too

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Phenom 2 x4 @4.2ghz is about the same performance as a i5 750 @ 3.6ghz. A 4690k at 3.5ghz is about 35% faster, clock for clock, compared to the lynnfield in cinebench. You will most definitely see a bottleneck, particularly in cpu bound games. The Phenom 2's were great cpus and cpu performance hasn't really progressed that quickly over the last 6 years. 

thanks for the replies. the way i see it i've got 2 options. i could buy an FX-8350 for about 175 bucks, and sacrifice longevity of relevance since it's a card from like 2013, or I can spend like 550 dollars on a skybridge 6500, a new mobo, new DDR4 ram, and a new psu, which all adds up to about $550 USD, but just came out.

WAT DO

EDIT: how bad will an 8350 bottleneck?

The motherboard will bottleneck it, probably running at pcie 1/2 speeds.

The motherboard will bottleneck it, probably running at pcie 1/2 speeds.

it's pcie gen2 x16

It's an AM3+ board, which is why im thinking about an 8350

it's pcie gen2 x16

It's an AM3+ board, which is why im thinking about an 8350

Yep bottleneck here for sure.

1/2 the bandwidth you have.

should i get a more recent mobo and an 8350, (~250) or save up and get an i5-6500 and a new mobo/ddr4 ram/psu (~550)

If ul cpu can handle 60fps UK be fine

It won't matter if it bottle necks you from 180fps down to 70 fps so long as u hit the 60 fps for v sync

Enable vsync and then crank graphics up to max and ul be gpu bound

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

Except games aren't even maxing out PCI-Express 2.0x16 slots, so that's not the concern. We're getting close to that point, but we haven't quite gotten there yet.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

You'll definitely see a major performance improvement over what you've currently got, but don't sit on that processor/mainboard for too long. An FX-8350 will certainly be better compared to the 4-core Phenom you're currently sitting on, but you'd be better off setting money aside and going with Skylake or Haswell-E eventually. You don't need to worry about that right yet since the combination will still be quite capable, but probably within the next 12 months you'd probably want to make the switch to a newer platform. But since the GTX 980 costs less than changing over to Haswell-E or Skylake, or even Haswell for a comparable processor on core count, it's the more cost-effective upgrade, but hopefully the first step in an overall upgrade.

Since you're coming off a GTX 550Ti, the only other immediate consideration is your power supply. Does it have enough of the right PCI-Express connectors for the GTX 980? If no, then that should be your next upgrade point.

So you'll likely see some interesting performance artifacts as your processor tries to power that 980, but again you should still see a significant improvement in performance overall. As another commenter pointed out, enabling v-sync on your games should alleviate much of that. Just also plan to upgrade everything else eventually.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

You'll definitely see a major performance improvement over what you've currently got, but don't sit on that processor/mainboard for too long. An FX-8350 will certainly be better compared to the 4-core Phenom you're currently sitting on, but you'd be better off setting money aside and going with Skylake or Haswell-E eventually. You don't need to worry about that right yet since the combination will still be quite capable, but probably within the next 12 months you'd probably want to make the switch to a newer platform. But since the GTX 980 costs less than changing over to Haswell-E or Skylake, or even Haswell for a comparable processor on core count, it's the more cost-effective upgrade, but hopefully the first step in an overall upgrade.

Since you're coming off a GTX 550Ti, the only other immediate consideration is your power supply. Does it have enough of the right PCI-Express connectors for the GTX 980? If no, then that should be your next upgrade point.

So you'll likely see some interesting performance artifacts as your processor tries to power that 980, but again you should still see a significant improvement in performance overall. As another commenter pointed out, enabling v-sync on your games should alleviate much of that. Just also plan to upgrade everything else eventually.

I got a 750w corsair, it's non-modular but i'm pretty sure it has at least 2 pci connectors.

If i was going to upgrade to an intel, i would get a skylake, since prices are pretty similar between them and haswell's right now, only price increase really being ddr4 ram.

If I was going to upgrade to intel though, I would get a new PSU since im spending a lot anyway. 

i was thinking this refurbished rm850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139123

bad/good PSU? should i not get refurbished?

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/102?vs=288

not that bad really.

Given that it performs within reasonable range of a Sandy Bridge i5 at stock.. say its near equal at 4.2GHz...

Honestly, yes there will be a bottleneck. But it wont be that bad.. Not with THAT OC.... if it was stock, sure.

disgusted-mother-of-god.png?1321272571