Should I get an SSD for a laptop with SATA II?

With deals coming in soon for SSD's I thought I'd get one on my laptop with a capacity of ~500GB. But is it worth it with the slower SATA 3Gb/s? If it is worth it should I get a cheaper slower performing SSD since it will perform the same as a high end one?

With deals coming in soon for SSD's I thought I'd get one on my laptop with a capacity of ~500GB. But is it worth it with the slower SATA 3Gb/s? If it is worth it should I get a cheaper slower performing SSD since it will perform the same as a high end one?

Not really, remember that the small file speeds will be lower with cheaper SSD, and small file speeds are still below SATA 1 speeds

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Wufflez, on 02 Nov 2015 - 02:50 AM, said:

SSD's offer many more benefits than speed.  If you have a mobile PC it just makes since because they are not affected by moving the machine around, where as HDD's are destroyed.

Additionally, HDD's don't saturate SATA I at 1.5Gbps most of the time.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

In my opinion, it's definitely worth it. Here's an article you can read that goes in to detail:

Is A SATA 3Gb/s Platform Still Worth Upgrading With An SSD? - Tom's Hardware

"Daddy's going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." -Linus Sebastian 2014 (src)

"I believe in French Fries. I believe in America. I believe in the Union." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

"I have pockets in all my shorts." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

i wouldnt pay for a 500 gb ssd (its going to be priceyyy) just to be locket at 3gb sec... keep in mind it will still be an upgrade from an hdd though, so if you have the money...

R5 3600x | RTX 3070 | 16Gb 3200mhz | Gigabyte B550 gaming x | 500gb 660p SSD + 1tb wd blue HDD |

You should.  Most reads and writes by Windows don't come even remotely close to SATA3 speeds anyway, so just having the quick access times would be a MUCH better laptop experience.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

My mums i5 lappy got its ssd and its sata2 as well and its NIGHT AND DAY differences in how it now handles similar tasks than without the ssd.

Many yes's.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

i wouldnt pay for a 500 gb ssd (its going to be priceyyy) just to be locket at 3gb sec... keep in mind it will still be an upgrade from an hdd though, so if you have the money...

It's not locked if it's barely capable of 3 Gb/s read speeds, anyway.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Yes but don't buy anything too expensive, it will still be faster than a mechanical drive anyway.

Failed to load signature. Error 404 - Witty comment not found

Any single ssd is faster than a mech ....where it matters. 

File access times.

Esp for laptops with their slower 5400Rpm drives!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Laptop specs?

Certainly it is worth it. While the full speed of an ssd will not be realized, it will still offer a noticeable performance improvement. This is especially so when dealing with small files where the true random access capability of an ssd eliminates the rotational and head movement delays of an hdd.

While the SATA II interface does limit the bandwidth, faster service times do make a difference.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

When actually using Windows on a day to day basis....(Not just thinking about boot times or eww..sata2) there is relatively no performance difference thats really seen between medium level speeds of 280Read and faster 400-500Reads UNLESS extended file reads are done.

For smaller files and background process's,, let alone anything applications want,... is already finished before the real fast speeds could even be reached.

Sure, bigger files will be affected moreso, but we are comparing SSD's on Sata 2 VS a Mechanical Laptop drive...it's not hard to fathom the huge increases in file access times on smaller files and even sequentials on bigger files.

Laptop specs?

Dated. T9300 4gb DDR3 720p 240GB. Still nice for general use

i put a sata3 ssd on a sata1 laptop.

Still see a major improvement

Same here with my Tecra M5. Though that laptop decided to die when I dropped it after installing its original HDD. The HDD is just fine, the GPU however got cracked.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL