1080P Butter?

Jay226

I'm trying to finalize this build and would like any constructive input. What i'm considering is here:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KLcyMp

The purpose of this build is to maximize my framerate in 1080P with a gsync monitor to have the best visual settings and maintaining high frame-rates. I dont want to use SLI and a 1440P monitor seems like it would increase the visuals but at a cost of performance. The ROG Swift is a little pricey so much I feel like an Early-Adopter. I'm trying to decide between a 980 and the 980ti.

games to play: Witcher 3, Battlefield 4, CS:GO, Far Cry 4, D3, Metro Last Light

Would you change anything about the above build? Monitor suggestions? 980 or 980ti?

Thanks for the help.

Acer's monitor is fine.

I would go 980 Ti if you can afford it.

If you're not going to do SLI, there's cheaper power supplies available that are just as good as the one you have on the parts list.

I would personally recommend against an AIO since you have a large enough case to fit a big ass heatsink like the NH-D15.

if you plan to play at high framerates g-sync is a waste of money quite literally

if you can afford it stay with the 980ti

if you want to drop down to 980 then consider R9 Fury and R9 390x

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I say 980, get a good one and overclock it a little.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

the 980 at 1080p will do just fine. I've always been a proponent though of getting the most powerful card you can in your budget, so I'd personally get the 980ti, that way you have the capacity to go 1440p at a higher refresh rate later on. If you're dedicated to 1080p though, then don't waste your money. get a 980.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

the 980 at 1080p will do just fine. I've always been a proponent though of getting the most powerful card you can in your budget, so I'd personally get the 980ti, that way you have the capacity to go 1440p at a higher refresh rate later on. If you're dedicated to 1080p though, then don't waste your money. get a 980.

A 980, while a fine card, will not perform as well or keep a more consistent refresh rate as a 980 Ti.

Yes, even at 1080p.

Yes, I've tested this myself.

Yes, it's worth it, if you can afford one.

if you plan to play at high framerates g-sync is a waste of money quite literally

G-Sync is still worth it if you can afford it. Just because your monitor goes up to a higher refresh rate doesn't mean you won't get screen tearing.

Acer's monitor is fine.

I would go 980 Ti if you can afford it.

If you're not going to do SLI, there's cheaper power supplies available that are just as good as the one you have on the parts list.

I would personally recommend against an AIO since you have a large enough case to fit a big ass heatsink like the NH-D15.

I was looking at the Noctua, the thing is a beast. Any additional insight why to use it? I can see it reduces the point of failure, less maintainance, and no posibility of leaking.

One guy commented that gsync wasnt nessarary at high frame rates. Though it would seem to me to be a visual improvement in game that the montior and gpu refreash rates to be linked. Maybe I dont understand some aspec of gsync. Please explain.

G-Sync is still worth it if you can afford it. Just because your monitor goes up to a higher refresh rate doesn't mean you won't get screen tearing.

well the purpose of G-Sync is iffy imho...

If you want to eliminate screen tearing at high framerates (high means you are above your monitors refresh rate) then you have to resort to classic VSync

However if you want to eliminate screen tearing at low framerates (low means below your monitors refresh rate) then in case of classic VSync you would have to half your framerate...

G-Sync sort of is here to counter the fps halving problem of classic VSync... but the thing is there are beautiful variations of VSync like Tripple Buffering for example which is designed to do just that - eliminate screen tearing at low framerates and not halve your framerate at the same time...

G-Sync is cool and stuff... but I can't justify paying ~200$ premium for something that is 90% of the time useless on high end desktops or make no sense in the low end (due to price) or could just as easily be replaced with a Tripple buffering in game engine or in driver

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

I was looking at the Noctua, the thing is a beast. Any additional insight why to use it? I can see it reduces the point of failure, less maintainance, and no posibility of leaking.

One guy commented that gsync wasnt nessarary at high frame rates. Though it would seem to me to be a visual improvement in game that the montior and gpu refreash rates to be linked. Maybe I dont understand some aspec of gsync. Please explain.

So for the cooler part: you already understand the main and objective benefits of having one over an AIO. All you have to worry about are the fans giving out which almost never happens. That and the reasons you listed are what I bring up to people I do builds for and make sure that they understand them. I've only had one guy who was adamant about an AIO, but that's because he was going to be doing heavier overclocking.

As for G-Sync: you will experience frame tearing no matter how high the refresh rate of your monitor is. Frame tearing (screen tearing, whatever you wanna call it) occurs when the amount of frames your GPU is outputting per second doesn't match the amount the monitor is displaying per second; it'll occur even when your GPU is way overpowered for a 60Hz monitor, and it'll occur when it doesn't have enough juice to run a constant 144fps on a 144hz monitor. Only way to stop that is V-Sync or one of the adaptive sync implementations (G-Sync [Nvidia] or Free-Sync [AMD]). V-Sync introduces increased frame timing, and micro stutters at times. Those adaptive sync implementations are a remedy for all of the issues to an extent.

well the purpose of G-Sync is iffy imho...

If you want to eliminate screen tearing at high framerates (high means you are above your monitors refresh rate) then you have to resort to classic VSync

However if you want to eliminate screen tearing at low framerates (low means below your monitors refresh rate) then in case of classic VSync you would have to half your framerate...

G-Sync sort of is here to counter the fps halving problem of classic VSync... but the thing is there are beautiful variations of VSync like Tripple Buffering for example which is designed to do just that - eliminate screen tearing at low framerates and not halve your framerate at the same time...

G-Sync is cool and stuff... but I can't justify paying ~200$ premium for something that is 90% of the time useless on high end desktops or make no sense in the low end (due to price) or could just as easily be replaced with a Tripple buffering in game engine or in driver

Triple buffering introduces other arguably worse issues on top of V-Sync, which is why G-Sync and Free-Sync are a thing.

I don't see Free-Sync or G-Sync being "iffy". They solve a problem and give an objectively smoother experience.

Triple buffering introduces other arguably worse issues on top of V-Sync, which is why G-Sync and Free-Sync are a thing.

I don't see Free-Sync or G-Sync being "iffy". They solve a problem and give an objectively smoother experience.

Would you please name the problems of Triple buffering? I am legitimately oblivious and have to heard of them.

Just to be more precise, you mentioned earlier that tearing occurs when your fps does not match refresh rate. To be technical it can and most likely will occur even if you are at precisely 60fps with a 60Hz monitor - they might still be out of sync with a delay in phase, in order to eliminate it completely GPU has to wait for monitors duty cycle before writing a new frame.

Would you please name the problems of Triple buffering? I am legitimately oblivious and have to heard of them.

It can increase input latency even more and also potentially cause micro stuttering.

Just to be more precise, you mentioned earlier that tearing occurs when your fps does not match refresh rate. To be technical it can and most likely will occur even if you are at precisely 60fps with a 60Hz monitor - they might still be out of sync with a delay in phase, in order to eliminate it completely GPU has to wait for monitors duty cycle before writing a new frame.

Right.

G-Sync and Free-Sync change the refresh rate of the monitor to match the video card's exactly, so it eliminates that issue. They aim to eliminate all of the buffering and other issues that come with the video card frame output and how quickly it's being displayed on the monitor.

However, the delay phase as you mentioned is also accounted for in both adaptive sync implementations IIRC; Nvidia's CEO talked about that as one of the issues they had to look at when developing the G-Sync module.

It can increase input latency even more and also potentially cause micro stuttering.

But we did resolve the tearing and fps halving problem with the rest of the problems we will deal in order of their arrival (:

to clairify. when in games using gsync i can disable vsync, frame buffering?

I don't know about anyone else, but my OC 970 handles prettt much any game at over, if not just at 60 fps - including TW3 maxed out.

I don't know about anyone else, but my OC 970 handles prettt much any game at over, if not just at 60 fps - including TW3 maxed out.

What I'm trying to grasp is if i have a 144hz monitor but i can only do 60fps, whats the benefit of a 144hz monitor? I really need a build that can do 100fps or more. Is this logic flawed?

G sync is awesome especially at high fps, because if ur 144 he and ur not hitting it u drop to 72 or u have vsync off and have tearing which it's still very noticeable at high fps

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

G sync is awesome especially at high fps, because if ur 144 he and ur not hitting it u drop to 72 or u have vsync off and have tearing which it's still very noticeable at high fps

what do you think about my 144hz comment above?

No, not flawed at all, but like i said, my 970 gets above 60 in most cases. I wasn't so much suggesting you get a 970, but just pointing out that a normal 980 will probably serve you well, particularly if you overclock. But, that said, if you can afford a 980ti, go for it - the more power the better.

what do you think about my 144hz comment above?

Ok so basically, I have 2 980tis and I don't get 144hz in any game consistently, however with gsync anything over 50 is awesome and the image quality when u move the camera is less blurry the higher fps u get,

Personally due to this fact getting a 144hz monitor without g sync u either have to deal with v sync and the 72 fps because u don't hit 144 or screen tearing

So it's up to u, Ul still have screan tearing at 100 fps but ur response times will be better,

If I were you I'd go 144hz and g sync or go home lol

If ur not doing both get a 60hx monitor,

Unless ur a serious cs:go player and u really need the fps and ur on a mega low budget

also (1600) 

I understand. Thanks

Ok so basically, I have 2 980tis and I don't get 144hz in any game consistently, however with gsync anything over 50 is awesome and the image quality when u move the camera is less blurry the higher fps u get,
Personally due to this fact getting a 144hz monitor without g sync u either have to deal with v sync and the 72 fps because u don't hit 144 or screen tearing
So it's up to u, Ul still have screan tearing at 100 fps but ur response times will be better,
If I were you I'd go 144hz and g sync or go home lol
If ur not doing both get a 60hx monitor,
Unless ur a serious cs:go player and u really need the fps and ur on a mega low budget

can you look at my pcpartpicker link at the top. two 980ti's... out of my price range :) the Acer monitor is both gsync and 144hz.

I understand. Thanks

can you look at my pcpartpicker link at the top. two 980ti's... out of my price range :) the Acer monitor is both gsync and 144hz.

get one 980ti and the acer Man

also (1600)