Can I place the GPU wherever I want?

MorbidAngel
Go to solution Solved by TheRandomness,

But let's say I for some reason can't physically fit the card into the x16 slot, can I just put it in the x8 slot and the PC would be working just fine and I could play my games without noticing a great difference? If using a high-end GPU like the 980 Ti :)

Basically, you'd need a x32 slot to cope with a card of that calibre. /s Yeah it would be fine, with no noticeable difference :P

Hello I have a question, on this motherboard (Z170 FTW) there are some different slots on the motherboard for a GPU card and I wonder, is there a difference in placing the GPU in slot 15 and 16, or can you place it wherever you want?

ktI7hi4.png

GPU: RTX 2080 Super                                                                             Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB

CPU: i7-9700K                                                                                       MouseLogitech G PRO Wireless
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengance PRO                                                         Headset: Corsair HS70 PRO Wireless

PSU: CX650F                                                                                         MousepadCorsair MM500 Extended 3XL
MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A                                                                     ControllerDualSense 5

Case: Lian Li Lancool II                                                                          CameraCanon EOS M50

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5                                                                      CoolingCorsair H100i Platinum

The white Rabbit                                                                                           MicrophoneTrust GXT 252+

You can put it in whatever slot you want, but only #15 is PCI-E X16, what you want your GPU in. So, just put it in #15.

I used to be quite active here.

Slot 15 is x16, slot 16 is x8, x16 would be preferable.

What is the difference? Can it cause problems, will the PC run slower or what? Ty for answering!

GPU: RTX 2080 Super                                                                             Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB

CPU: i7-9700K                                                                                       MouseLogitech G PRO Wireless
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengance PRO                                                         Headset: Corsair HS70 PRO Wireless

PSU: CX650F                                                                                         MousepadCorsair MM500 Extended 3XL
MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A                                                                     ControllerDualSense 5

Case: Lian Li Lancool II                                                                          CameraCanon EOS M50

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5                                                                      CoolingCorsair H100i Platinum

The white Rabbit                                                                                           MicrophoneTrust GXT 252+

What is the difference? Can it cause problems, will the PC run slower or what? Ty for answering!

x16 gives more bandwidth to the card which in future would be better but nowadays cards can't saturate the bandwidth of x8 afaik.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

x16 gives more bandwidth to the card which in future would be better but nowadays cards can't saturate the bandwidth of x8 afaik.

But let's say I for some reason can't physically fit the card into the x16 slot, can I just put it in the x8 slot and the PC would be working just fine and I could play my games without noticing a great difference? If using a high-end GPU like the 980 Ti :)

Basically, you'd need a x32 slot to cope with a card of that calibre. /s Yeah it would be fine, with no noticeable difference :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Ah okay great so then I can just keep it like that for a while before I buy the second 980 Ti and I can put that one in the top slot and run the SLI :) Thanks for the answer! :D

Ah okay great so then I can just keep it like that for a while before I buy the second 980 Ti and I can put that one in the top slot and run the SLI :) Thanks for the answer! :D

Hey first things first. Don't buy that motherboard. But if you do, check out jayztwocents most recent vid here: 

Starting at about 8 min or so he talks about the crapload of issues he had with the board. Really idiotic compromises made on an already overpriced motherboard.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS