AMD does not need to catch up to intel.

Mikjul

An FX can do what you listed pretty much but everyone jumps to intel, granted if you want all out balls to the wall performance but the price is daft in all honesty.

Price gap doesn't exist. Intel outperforms AMD bang for the buck since Haswell, it's been discussed many times.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Price gap doesn't exist. Intel outperforms AMD bang for the buck since Haswell, it's been discussed many times.

X99 to FX 8350 is what we're talking about here, not to be confused with a simple I5 or I7...

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Tbh,i hope AMD Zen catches up with haswell IPC, even Ivy bridge would be good enough for AMD to come back. Back then when i built my pc, i was between the phenom II x6 or the i5 2320 that i am still using now, and i would like to use an AMD desktop cpu someday. For the time being, i only use their gpus (6790--> upgrade to 280x) and i was never let down and an APU on my laptop (a8 5550m). But what i said is true, if Zen catches up to haswell/ivy bridge  and keeps the low prices, it will be a win for AMD in their current state

The site has changed....

X99 to FX 8350 is what we're talking about here, not to be confused with a simple I5 or I7...

Oh. That is not a discussion at all. Completely different brackets. X99 is twice as fast as 8350. Once you get to that massive gap in performance price also goes up and value goes down.

It's like comparing r9 390 with a Fury X, one is a little better at twice the price. 390 is bang for the buck, but Fury X is needed if you want to play at 4K.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

s1150 i7 4790K. Beats an FX 8350 in all areas.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Tbh,i hope AMD Zen catches up with haswell IPC, even Ivy bridge would be good enough for AMD to come back. Back then when i built my pc, i was between the phenom II x6 or the i5 2320 that i am still using now, and i would like to use an AMD desktop cpu someday. For the time being, i only use their gpus (6790--> upgrade to 280x) and i was never let down and an APU on my laptop (a8 5550m). But what i said is true, if Zen catches up to haswell/ivy bridge  and keeps the low prices, it will be a win for AMD in their current state

First person to understand the topic and reply accordingly.

This forum needs a reward system.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

Agreed.

Oh. That is not a discussion at all. Completely different brackets. X99 is twice as fast as 8350. Once you get to that massive gap in performance price also goes up and value goes down.

It's like comparing r9 390 with a Fury X, one is a little better at twice the price.

Straight over your head... Ace!

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Straight over your head... Ace!

No. I am saying you cannot compare X99 to FX. You just can't. They are incomparable. Different performance brackets, different price brackets, they do not compete.

Value CPU will always get you more VALUE.

If you look at value alone you can compare Pentium G3258 to X99, it will destroy X99 in value, but that's not how you compare processors though is it.

Spoiler

No. I am saying you cannot compare X99 to FX. You just can't. They are incomparable. Different performance brackets, different price brackets, they do not compete.

Everything that exists is comparable you just need the correct approach.
REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

Everything that exists is comparable you just need the correct approach.

Yes and comparing value between value processor and the fastest available processor is not how you do it.

Spoiler

Value CPU will always get you more VALUE.

If you look at value alone you can compare Pentium G3258 to X99, it will destroy X99 in value, but that's not how you compare processors though is it.

If I have a budget that doesn't allow for an i7 or a X99 chip etc then an FX cpu will do what I need it to. There's your comparison. 

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

If I have a budget that doesn't allow for an i7 or a X99 chip etc then an FX cpu will do what I need it to. There's your comparison. 

Yes. i5 or Xeon will do it too and better most of the time.

Spoiler

SINP

None of are saying we do not want AMD to success, we are just saying that we doubt it will happen, they have been trailing for a while now, and Intel are outperforming them at pretty much every level

if Zen DOES catch up, its likely Intel will just release something new that beats it all over again

Also as far as price goes, they are pretty comparable, if somebody has a budget for the PC and can fit a faster CPU inside, then that is what everyone will recommend

I am not anti AMD or an Intel fanboy, just the fact is, you are getting a better performing CPU, for the tasks  most people do, and it does not necessarily cost more money to get it

Can Zen change that? maybe... can Intel counter attack? most likely

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yes. i5 or Xeon will do it too and better most of the time.

Not if the budget doesn't allow... Sometimes a budget is a limiting factor, and if I'm building a gaming/render rig I want to overclock it to squeeze a little more out of it so I'd need a K skew intel chip.

Beyond this point the conversation is over, You will always tell me to get an intel even if I can't afford it.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Not if the budget doesn't allow... Sometimes a budget is a limiting factor, and if I'm building a gaming/render rig I want to overclock it to squeeze a little more out of it so I'd need a K skew intel chip.

Beyond this point the conversation is over, You will always tell me to get an intel even if I can't afford it.

How can budget not allow an i5 when it does allow FX, they are the same price. They. Are. The. Same. Price. You can't be this oblivious.

Spoiler

None of are saying we do not want AMD to success, we are just saying that we doubt it will happen, they have been trailing for a while now, and Intel are outperforming them at pretty much every level

if Zen DOES catch up, its likely Intel will just release something new that beats it all over again

Also as far as price goes, they are pretty comparable, if somebody has a budget for the PC and can fit a faster CPU inside, then that is what everyone will recommend

I am not anti AMD or an Intel fanboy, just the fact is, you are getting a better performing CPU, for the tasks  most people do, and it does not necessarily cost more money to get it

Can Zen change that? maybe... can Intel counter attack? most likely

That's the point, thats how things progress, without AMD biting the heels in intel they simply won't push for the next best thing and drag their feet like said. As for a better CPU for what most people do, the AMD can do them fine as is but that won't stop people fitting a better CPU because everyone and a benchmark says so. I've played on intel rigs, I use intel on Macs, and everything people say about how much better an intel is, I'm yet to be swept of my feet for doing day to day tasks or gaming.

Are FX chips worth buying? Depends, on the budget you have, can you live with a locked i5? then buy one of those, personally don't see the point in owning a locked CPU unless its a word processing machine sat in an office. Won't stop people recommending them for a gaming rig though and sticking a H100i on top of it.  ;)

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

How can budget not allow an i5 when it does allow FX, they are the same price. They. Are. The. Same. Price. You can't be this oblivious.

budget 350-400 usd, u need a server like build.

Xeon 1231 v3->240 usd.

FX 8320E-> 125 usd

thats why FX are still usefull.

Intel is the King gaming/performance -wise, and AMD is a  viable  choice at low budget builds

The site has changed....

Are FX chips worth buying? Depends, on the budget you have, can you live with a locked i5? then buy one of those, personally don't see the point in owning a locked CPU unless its a word processing machine sat in an office.

So you would rather buy an unlocked product that performs worse than a locked one that performs better. I don't really see the logic in that.

budget 350-400 usd, u need a server like build.

Xeon 1231 v3->240 usd.

FX 8320E-> 125 usd

thats why FX are still usefull.

Intel is the King gaming/performance -wise, and AMD is a  viable  choice at low budget builds

Xeon 1231 v3 doesn't compete with FX 8320E, it smashes it.
Compare 8320E with a 4460, then it's more like it.

Spoiler

You didnt bother reading my whole post, about the budget thingy?

The site has changed....

That's the point, thats how things progress, without AMD biting the heels in intel they simply won't push for the next best thing and drag their feet like said. As for a better CPU for what most people do, the AMD can do them fine as is but that won't stop people fitting a better CPU because everyone and a benchmark says so. I've played on intel rigs, I use intel on Macs, and everything people say about how much better an intel is, I'm yet to be swept of my feet for doing day to day tasks or gaming.

Are FX chips worth buying? Depends, on the budget you have, can you live with a locked i5? then buy one of those, personally don't see the point in owning a locked CPU unless its a word processing machine sat in an office. Won't stop people recommending them for a gaming rig though and sticking a H100i on top of it.  ;)

Of course, nobody WANTS AMD to die, but equally I am not going to recommend a product that i find inferior, when for that same money, they can get something IS factually better

"and AMD would do the job" sure, but why should they settle for "does the job" when a similar product can potentially do it better?

can I live with a locked i5? sure, I have not even overclocked my 4770k, overclocking is overrated, just because you need to OC an 8350 to be competitive does not mean that you have to OC an i5

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Depends on what you're budget is, so lets leave it there. Unlocked cpu for an unlocked FX cpu. 

i5 4960k £168.18 Inc VAT

FX 8320E £100.58 Inc VAT

FX 8350 £136.60 Inc VAT

Either way it's whatever, I recommend fitting an i5 to people because they end up buying a cpu with thermals too high for the board when going AMD. i5 if you dunno what you're doing or if you want all out performance, if it's day to day stuff the amd will be fine, or better yet an APU. Too many factors.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Depends on what you're budget is, so lets leave it there. Unlocked cpu for an unlocked FX cpu. 

i5 4960k £168.18 Inc VAT

FX 8320E £100.58 Inc VAT

FX 8350 £136.60 Inc VAT

Either way it's whatever, I recommend fitting an i5 to people because they end up buying a cpu with thermals too high for the board when going AMD. i5 if you dunno what you're doing or if you want all out performance, if it's day to day stuff the amd will be fine, or better yet an APU. Too many factors.

4690k is much faster. You can't compare it to FX, you just can't, it's FASTER, it's more expensive as a result of that.

Spoiler

You didnt bother reading my whole post, about the budget thingy?

I did. I said compare i5 4460 to FX.

Spoiler

So you would rather buy an unlocked product that performs worse than a locked one that performs better. I don't really see the logic in that.

Compare 8320E with a 4460, then it's more like it.

Yes because I can overclock and tune my PC like i have done with my 8350... Would I rather have an i5, probably but when I bought the FX the i5 wasn't within my budget... and I'm yet to see a bottle neck... my gpu is pretty much at 94-99%... If the i5 wasn't over £200 back when I bought my FX then I'd of had that.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

4690k is much faster. You can't compare it to FX, you just can't, it's FASTER, it's more expensive as a result of that.

I can because budget, I couldn't afford the i5 at the time.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken