The Mod- H70/Titan hybrid cooling

Ive ran this mod on my last two gpu's and both times it was very successful.  I was waiting to get the nerve up to do my titan and yesterday it happened.  Took an afternoon to complete but I needed to run two home depot twice for supplies.  I also need to create a shim from the copper plate off an non functioning H100 to complete this.  Temps have dropped by 30c on the high end and idle is down 15c but most of all the card is now almost silent.  There is no more fan rev up and down every two seconds while gaming or benchmarking, just a low hum of the stock fan spinning.  The card has not been damaged in anyway (I may have gotten a few screws in the wrong holes and I did have three screws left over ....) nether has the Corsair H70.  Both components are able to be returned fully to stock conditons.  The Mod in this case was very advanced, much harder then any of my other cards were to complete.  This works on any gpu from any vender.  Enjoy

9542649772_b3c85ec77f_b.jpg
titan complete on table by cravinmild1, on Flickr

9542648296_b6ee6dd5d3_b.jpg
OCN Titan complete sample by cravinmild1, on Flickr

9539865447_7b1dcb90d8_b.jpg
case shot close up by cravinmild1, on Flickr

9539864825_c74ae472e6_b.jpg
titan finished in case whoot by cravinmild1, on Flickr

Please tell me that the bottom picture isn't the finished product and that you actually mounted it better afterwards.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Dude, custom loops are hundreds of dollars, buy a AIO on sale for $39 and use the change for a new ssd.

That pic is the system running, ill finish mounting the rad one day lol. I can idle at 17c on a 580 with the same rad location

$1000 GPU

$30 Coolermaster case

Ghettomounted GPU cooler.

Fan on ram

fan controllers INSIDE case

tumblr_m3olwuvfUl1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

Don't get me wrong mate. That is pretty damn ingenious. But it seems like... your priorities are a bit off.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

This is the ultimate "because I can" thing to do

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

$1000 GPU

$30 Coolermaster case

Ghettomounted GPU cooler.

Fan on ram

fan controllers INSIDE case

1000gpu

Your point?

$30 case

Your point?

Ghettomounted gpu cooler

Your point?

Fan on ram

Your point?

Fan controller inside case

I think you get the point

Don't get me wrong mate. That is pretty damn ingenious. But it seems like... your priorities are a bit off.

Thanks,  not my idea but its a good one.  Not sure how "priorities are a bit off" fits in to this, please explain

This is the ultimate "because I can" thing to do

Thank you, it was a noise reduction mod,  I was as surpised as the next guy how well it kept the temps down.  I got to buy some new tools also WHoot! .... and I love this type thing.  Cheap ghetto mods and zipstraps FTW

as the tim cures temps will drop.  Im seeing 25c idle now and 53c with 1.2v, it just doesn't go higher and drops to low 30c with no load.

There are thousands of cards modded like this,  OCN has a list with several hundred users who have modded their cards and most who do this never post results.  

Very nice dude! i wanted to watercool my 780 but still keep the ctock cooler cause it looks awesome so i might do something like this rather than installing a block.

Questions: is the pump bolted in there in any way? hows it stay there? & are there any heatsink fins left in there for the fan to cool?

Aussie FTW!
4770k, H60, GTX 780, G1 Sniper 5, Samsung EVO 250GB, Seagate 2TB, Vengance Pro RAM 2133mhz 8GB, Silverstone Strider 850w
The Monolith Desk - build log incomplete.

I totally understand the idea behind the mod with using an AIO cooler on a GPU. It is better performance than stock air, and it is considerably cheaper than going custom water. And part of the fun is the doing something that you aren't "supposed" to do. But, I cringe a bit when I see this.

I get wanting to have the best performance, but you have to admit that buying a Titan wasn't the best use of money. I guess I just see that Titan as the card you buy when you have everything else. For me, personally, if I had the money to buy a Titan it would be a complete no-brainer to buy the next lower-tier card and put that extra money into something else that is needed. Looking at your pics the first thing I would throw away and kill with fire is that case. I also can't tell in pictures but please tell me that you have an SSD in that system already.

I don't want to rain on your parade, and it already sounds like you don't care that some other people think your system is a bit bonkers. If it makes you happy, hurray for you. I would just recommend looking at a better case as your next upgrade. If you enjoy modding and DIY a proper case is going to make those things much more enjoyable to do.

Not sure if ghetto and genius.

Or ridiculously stupid due to lack of priorities..

As well as being weird as hell with that kind of hardware configuration

Probably all with a tad emphasis on the latter 2  :P

Very nice dude! i wanted to watercool my 780 but still keep the ctock cooler cause it looks awesome so i might do something like this rather than installing a block.

Questions: is the pump bolted in there in any way? hows it stay there? & are there any heatsink fins left in there for the fan to cool?

Thanks, Im pretty happy with it right now :D

This particular card was difficult as in it required much more work as the shroud fits together like puzzles pieces but the mounting was no different to any other card.  First few cards I did were with zipstraps (theres a guide to follow) but I used an actual gpu/AIO bracket from a 760GC AIO unit.  There are artisans on OCN who make them for a few dollars and will ship to you, its pretty popular over on OCN.  There is one heatsink left, it covers the rear of the card ... I guess for vrm and such but the die is only cooled by the H70.

Glad you like it ;)

I totally understand the idea behind the mod with using an AIO cooler on a GPU. It is better performance than stock air, and it is considerably cheaper than going custom water. And part of the fun is the doing something that you aren't "supposed" to do. But, I cringe a bit when I see this.

I get wanting to have the best performance, but you have to admit that buying a Titan wasn't the best use of money. I guess I just see that Titan as the card you buy when you have everything else. For me, personally, if I had the money to buy a Titan it would be a complete no-brainer to buy the next lower-tier card and put that extra money into something else that is needed. Looking at your pics the first thing I would throw away and kill with fire is that case. I also can't tell in pictures but please tell me that you have an SSD in that system already.

I don't want to rain on your parade, and it already sounds like you don't care that some other people think your system is a bit bonkers. If it makes you happy, hurray for you. I would just recommend looking at a better case as your next upgrade. If you enjoy modding and DIY a proper case is going to make those things much more enjoyable to do.

I totally understand where your coming from, I was scared when I did this with a crappy old 560ti AND I didn't even like that card.  Ive ran my cards for about three years now in this mannor, I just don't see it as a risk.  Seems ... unnatural to keep stock cooling.  I honestly tired not to do it, I said I wouldn't but dam that modding itch, its unforgiving and relentless .... not doing would be like not eating.  I originally wanted to go true water cooling for this card.  While in Vancouver last week I stopped in a NCIX store with about $400 to drop on watercooling.  I was shocked to learn a 4-6 week wait on blocks.  This is all NCIXs' fault if you think about it.

OK, I understand looking at that pic of the case it looks .... untidy :P  and I can explain.  The PSU is a beta sample from Cooler Master, id removed my SS 1000w P. to test the unit I needed access to all the cables so my wire management is a mess.  I have not mounted the rad as I need to reinstall the SS unit.  I turn the fan controllers around as I have small children and they love to play with the knobs and push the lcd screen.  Its the only way to stop them ... other than beating them.  I used film from a sign shop in my town to tint the case interior red.  It was the middle of winter in Canada (so no painting) and I was completely disgusted with the drab grey interior ... grey is depressing in winter and now I had to stare at grey while in front of the pc I made to make my happy.  It was a conflict of interest and need to be gone that day.  I try to use UK3000 fans cause they look beefy and can cut your finger off so there is risk involved while messing around in the case, like an obstacle course.    

I really like this case, I call her BIG RED (from that 70s show)  its an acquired taste I guess :wub:  My next case will be a test bench, Ive had enough of these "cages"   To answer your other question I do have a few ssd drives in there, I stack them up to save space, even the PS3 has a SSD.   Shes not much to look at but she gots it where it counts

Not sure if ghetto and genius.

Or ridiculously stupid due to lack of priorities..

As well as being weird as hell with that kind of hardware configuration

Probably all with a tad emphasis on the latter 2  :P

It is ghetto but ive seen several comps. now releasing products which do exactly what ive done here,  hybrid custom cards based on this exact method of cooling are now considered exotic and command a premium price - asus has a wonderful example of it, zotac has done it, venders are now selling mounts and prettier versions of The Mod are now marketed.  Its also genius as you can do it with any AIO cooler to any gpu ever made or will be made.  This H70 I used has been running for the last three years straight on three different GPUs, I used it for several months on my 1055t before upgrading .... Its beyond cheap if you considered what blocks alone for three different cards would cost.

Once it get settled and comfortable with The Mod on the card ill start to push 1.3v and see what this new cooling has to offer.  A quiet pc is nice but if I can squeeze alittle more out of her ill take it.

Thanks for the comments,  post any questions and ill try to answer the best I can.

Yeah it's really efficient, the only qualms i have with it is with how it looks XD

Although the performance for the price is definitely something worth considering doing